Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times

Advertisements

Some ex NBA players have done quite well in addition to having been great players: Magic, Jordan, Bird, Bill Russell, Jerry West. Some "made it" because of charisma, others stayed in basketball as coaches, others were business savvy.

I don't think Kareem really went too far. Maybe not the best personality.

Which brings me to Kobe. Sometimes he's a smiley guy joker, other times standoffish and distant (Barry Bonds type). He seems pretty smart and articulate (even speaks Italian).

Perhaps there are enough agent types who can symbiotically position Kobe into a lucrative life after basketball. Will we see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:45 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Jordan never did well after, he is only lucky he got set up the way he did while playing because he had squandered more money then dang near anyone. The Jordan brand started and expanded while he played, if not for people like Nike, he would be AI before AI.

As for Kobe, he's in a similar boat, he's not gonna go buy a bunch of 24hour fitness and papa johns like magic, and he doesn't need to. I think he stays relevant for 5-6 years then just pops up now and then.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
He's going to endorse Cheeze-It crackers.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
I see Kobe staying in the NBA in some form or another.
Success though...hard to say.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:12 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I don't think Kobe has the temperment to be a coach or in management.

He will probably pop up here and there as a guest commentator but he's not a warm-fuzzy likeable guy which is fine when that razor edge makes you a killer competitor but off-court it can make you seem to be a d-bag.

Jordan has struggled with the same issue.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Jordan never did well after, he is only lucky he got set up the way he did while playing because he had squandered more money then dang near anyone. The Jordan brand started and expanded while he played, if not for people like Nike, he would be AI before AI.
Jordan's net worth is 650mil last I saw, him blowing a couple million is nothing.

I don't think it was luck that he was the best player in the league and had charisma galore that sold stuff. One could argue he made Nike as much or more as the other way around.

I don't think comparing him to AI whom has clear gambling and alcohol problems is fair.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Jordan's net worth is 650mil last I saw, him blowing a couple million is nothing.

I don't think it was luck that he was the best player in the league and had charisma galore that sold stuff. One could argue he made Nike as much or more as the other way around.

I don't think comparing him to AI whom has clear gambling and alcohol problems is fair.
its absolutely fair, give AI 650 mil and see where he could be, certainly not in foreclosure and stuff.

the fact jordan was THE star is because of his abilities more then his charisma imo, and he fell (luckily) right into the time frame when nike (and others) were really starting to blow up for a lot of reasons, jordan being one but nike would be IMO just as big as it is now or close to it.

bottom line, jordan has ALWAYS been terrible with money, hes just lucky he has so much of it that it doesnt affect his livelihood or standard of living. would barkley have been sued if he had 650 mil? the fact remains hes a huge gambler (and not a good one apparently), he has a penchant for spending money on silly things, hes had minor abuse problems as well. he and tiger are one in the same to me, bad decisions, but so much money it doesnt have an impact on their standard of living.

now i will say he hasnt been a sbad as say mike tyson, or mc hammer but still hes not exactly pinching pennies or living the cleanest life.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:07 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
One could argue he made Nike as much or more as the other way around.

I once read a vignette in a business text book about Jordan. One year, I forget which, in the 1990s, he made more money from Nike, than all the people who made the shoes (think sweatshop) COMBINED.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Kobe is going to be paid by twitter to tweet for ESPN.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I see a bonafide second career opportunity for Kobe as a celebrity judge for Hawaiian Tropic bikini judging type contests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball