Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,426,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernmentMan View Post
This is probably the first time I've ever seen anyone put Spoelstra in the top 3 coaches in the NBA. I've never seen anyone put him in the 10, let alone top 5. Hell, just a couple years ago, most people I know put him among the bottom.
Agree. The Heat record the last 3 years is arguably more attributable to having Lebron, Bosh, Wade, and other vets, than Spoelstra.

His record before that was a few games above 500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 01:04 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernmentMan View Post
This is probably the first time I've ever seen anyone put Spoelstra in the top 3 coaches in the NBA. I've never seen anyone put him in the 10, let alone top 5. Hell, just a couple years ago, most people I know put him among the bottom.
Anyone who does not think Spo is not at the very least a top 5 coach in this league does not know basketball very well. It is as simple as that. Spo is a great coach in this league right now. Look at the way he has changed Lebron's game and the way the team uses him. He has never not been to the playoffs. First two years he had Wade and a bunch of has been players. The small ball lineup he uses has changed the way the NBA is these days. Pat Riley picked the guy. He is one of the top 2 coaches in the NBA right now. At the very least you will hear almost anyone on TV or in the media or in the NBA call him a top 5 coach.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:22 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Anyone who does not think Spo is not at the very least a top 5 coach in this league does not know basketball very well. It is as simple as that. Spo is a great coach in this league right now. Look at the way he has changed Lebron's game and the way the team uses him. He has never not been to the playoffs. First two years he had Wade and a bunch of has been players. The small ball lineup he uses has changed the way the NBA is these days. Pat Riley picked the guy. He is one of the top 2 coaches in the NBA right now. At the very least you will hear almost anyone on TV or in the media or in the NBA call him a top 5 coach.

Ive only heard him called a bus driver. Pat Riley is running this biatch....

Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Ive only heard him called a bus driver. Pat Riley is running this biatch....
Well you don't know much about the Heat organization if you think that. Riley is choosing the players. Spo is coaching them.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:13 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,096,237 times
Quote:
Ummmm wow!

He ran a small ball lineup because the big slick didn't give him a real center. He still doesn't have one that works BUT he has gone out and tried to find him a center on the cheap. Bird man, oden....

He's made the playoffs every year even with scrubs is because the east sucks. He is an OK coach but if he's top 5 is because the coaching pool is fairly thin.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Ummmm wow!

He ran a small ball lineup because the big slick didn't give him a real center. He still doesn't have one that works BUT he has gone out and tried to find him a center on the cheap. Bird man, oden....

He's made the playoffs every year even with scrubs is because the east sucks. He is an OK coach but if he's top 5 is because the coaching pool is fairly thin.
Well he is also the second longest tenured coach in the NBA only after Pops. So I would say yes the coaching pool is fairly thing. Spo is a good coach. He is a top 5 coach. A guy who has never missed the playoffs and has gone to 3 straight finals is a top 5 coach.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:36 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
I think you guys should start a thread about Spol.

Back to Kobe....it's going to be really interesting to see how he emotionally deals with playing into his decline....something he'd previously said he'd not do.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,096,237 times
Quote:
Well he is also the second longest tenured coach in the NBA only after Pops. So I would say yes the coaching pool is fairly thing. Spo is a good coach. He is a top 5 coach. A guy who has never missed the playoffs and has gone to 3 straight finals is a top 5 coach.
OR he was handed 3 of the top 10-15 players in the league including the undisputed best player in the game today.
POP (there is no S)
rivers
thib
rick adelman
carlisle are all coaches i would take over spol.
arguably i would take brooks as an equal if not better also.
(hes also tied with carlisle and brooks on that tenure and only moved up since the celtics went fire sale earlier this summer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think you guys should start a thread about Spol.

Back to Kobe....it's going to be really interesting to see how he emotionally deals with playing into his decline....something he'd previously said he'd not do.
math, im curious how hes going to do after injury, word is he plays this sunday.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
math, im curious how hes going to do after injury, word is he plays this sunday.
Agreed.

Kobe has already been declining and adjusting to it badly (especially in the playoffs).

I don't know if the low expectations for the team and his injury will allow him to play more controlled instead of launching shots in the 4th on aged tired legs.

So, I don't know if we will get the "I'm still 28 I can do it all Kobe" or if we will get the more paced and matured player that I've seen show up here and there in recent years. It's just that when the stakes rise he seems to revert and play outside of himself anymore.

I've long found Kobe to be his own toughest opponent when he doesn't have the right mindset. The year or two after Shaq left he was playing garbage ball and just a year or two after that he was playing IMO the best ball of his career and back to winning championships. I can understand why Phil Jackson found him to be frustrating during those years.

P.S. None of this is a knock on Kobe, the competitive drive he has is unquestionable but that focus and force of will can also make him difficult and at times pig-headed.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:47 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,426,540 times
Kobe has a lot of basketball left in him. It'd be nice to see him retire as a Laker and concede to becoming a 3rd or 4th option in the near future as he declines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball