Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,104,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Love is a stretch forward that can score and rebound. He is an upgrade over my current PF (David Lee) but top 3? No way!
i didnt just make it up, the PER,
Hollinger's NBA Player Stats - ESPN Insider - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Value added
Hollinger's NBA Player Stats - ESPN Insider - National Basketball Association - ESPN

estimated wins added

all say the same thing, the rankings are durant, james, love 1/2/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Yeah, I like the per and agree with Hollingers own comments that it's not perfect but it does give you a reasonable guidepost that normalizes for pace and minutes played.

He specifically notes that it tends to screw over tough defenders that don't neccessarily come up with lots of steals or blocks.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I like the per and agree with Hollingers own comments that it's not perfect but it does give you a reasonable guidepost that normalizes for pace and minutes played.

He specifically notes that it tends to screw over tough defenders that don't neccessarily come up with lots of steals or blocks.
i do too, hollinger is a math genius at this stuff. his metrics are as fair and balanced as you can get imo.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,027,549 times
I’m going to vote Carmelo as the 3rd best in the NBA, with my 4th being a toss-up between Westbrook and CP3. For all the crap that Carmelo gets, he’s still the best scorer in the league along with Durant. ‘Melo hasn’t won a title, but Durant hasn’t either. Neither of them have. Until then, they should both be considered “just scorers”, not just Melo.

I think KD gets quite a pass sometimes (probably cause he seems like a great guy, and Melo is ehh). I mean, humor me here, but wouldn’t all of you consider Westbrook in the Top 5-6 best players in the NBA? So there should be some criticism of the #2 if he gets to play with #5 and still doesn’t win it (especially in a perimeter-oriented league). Melo hasn’t had any Top 10 teammates. My point is that Melo isn’t as far from KD as many think.

As a side topic, Westbrook is electric, he’s like a nuclear weapon haha. His defense is impactful too, he’s a legit MVP candidate. I like just about everything about his game. I would bet if you took a secret survey of NBA players, you’d find that, when playing the Thunder, they fear Westbrook more than KD. But with all that, I still think KD is #2.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I’m going to vote Carmelo as the 3rd best in the NBA, with my 4th being a toss-up between Westbrook and CP3. For all the crap that Carmelo gets, he’s still the best scorer in the league along with Durant. ‘Melo hasn’t won a title, but Durant hasn’t either. Neither of them have. Until then, they should both be considered “just scorers”, not just Melo.

I think KD gets quite a pass sometimes (probably cause he seems like a great guy, and Melo is ehh). I mean, humor me here, but wouldn’t all of you consider Westbrook in the Top 5-6 best players in the NBA? So there should be some criticism of the #2 if he gets to play with #5 and still doesn’t win it (especially in a perimeter-oriented league). Melo hasn’t had any Top 10 teammates. My point is that Melo isn’t as far from KD as many think.

As a side topic, Westbrook is electric, he’s like a nuclear weapon haha. His defense is impactful too, he’s a legit MVP candidate. I like just about everything about his game. I would bet if you took a secret survey of NBA players, you’d find that, when playing the Thunder, they fear Westbrook more than KD. But with all that, I still think KD is #2.
i dont consider westbrook top 5-6 top 15 for sure. MAYBE top 10. he is one of the most immature players in the league, and while explosive hes an OK defender, not a great passer for his position, and he takes some TERRIBLE shot selections.

westbrook doesnt win the thunder games. his PER is solid (8th) but his value added and estimated wins added are both 33rd in the league.

nobody is worried about westbrook without durant, while he can win you a couple of games here and there, hes not consistent enough to win a series.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:37 PM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post

The difference between Melo, Westbrook....and then KD....is the efficiency with which they perform.

If you have 2 guys averaging 28ppg and one takes 25 shots a game and the other guy only 20....that's a HUGE difference.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,064,556 times
I'm not sure he's in the top 3 but I'm really surprised Anthony Davis hasn't even been mentioned. He's certainly up there in the discussion at the moment. I'd probably say some combination of LeBron, KD, Anthony Davis, and CP3. Though hopefully Rose can reenter this conversation. It really is disappointing; he was a lot of fun to watch.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,027,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I'm not sure he's in the top 3 but I'm really surprised Anthony Davis hasn't even been mentioned. He's certainly up there in the discussion at the moment. I'd probably say some combination of LeBron, KD, Anthony Davis, and CP3. Though hopefully Rose can reenter this conversation. It really is disappointing; he was a lot of fun to watch.
CP3 just left a bad taste in my mouth after last year's playoff exit (and I'm a Clippers fan as well), though he mostly played well in the Thunder series. My argument against him is that he has a whole lot of talent around him (and now possibly the top 2 or 3 best coach in the league), yet can't get past the second round again. But, I mean, the West is tough, not sure what else to say. Lots of great players got bounced.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:49 AM

50 posts, read 54,782 times
1) Lebron James: Duh! Clearly the best overall by far.

2) Chris Paul: I rate him above Durant and Westbrook because I think he's a more consistent and complete player. Durant is a fantastic scorer, but an average defender and passer. When Westbrook is on his game he's a great all-around player, but he's inconsistent.

3) Kevin Durant: It was tough for me to decide between him and Westbrook. While I think Westbrook is probably a more complete player -if nothing else he's better defensively- Durant is more consistent. Durant will score at least 20+ almost every game, while Westbrook seems to have more peaks and valleys, both in terms of scoring and distribution. Sometimes he jacks up bad shots even when nothing is falling.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:47 PM

10,117 posts, read 9,993,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
He hasn't even cracked the all-nba 2nd team yet. That's a pretty generous ranking.
I know it was a little premature, but I hope that I was prophetic in my ranking. Only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball