Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 09:55 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times

Advertisements

I must be missing something, I just think a bit too much credit is going to Rose. Here's how the East looks:

Cavaliers Big 3: LeBron / Kyrie / Love
Heat Big 3: Wade (?) / Deng / Bosh
Bulls Big 3: Rose (?) / Noah / Gasol
Wizards Big 3: Wall / Beal / Nene notable veteran Paul Pierce
Hornets Big 3: Walker / Jefferson / Stephenson

Then you have Raptors and Hawks which are both competitive even with relatively quiet off seasons. Hawks just need to keep healthy much like Heat and Bulls. I'm not sure how well Wizards will do come playoffs since they lost Ariza. But Hornets, Heat and Bulls all seem very competitive to me. I was hoping Heat got Stephenson, he's going to be huge for the Hornets. If Jefferson had stayed healthy they could've easily pushed a few more games against LeBron's Heat last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I must be missing something, I just think a bit too much credit is going to Rose. Here's how the East looks:

Cavaliers Big 3: LeBron / Kyrie / Love
Heat Big 3: Wade (?) / Deng / Bosh
Bulls Big 3: Rose (?) / Noah / Gasol
Wizards Big 3: Wall / Beal / Nene notable veteran Paul Pierce
Hornets Big 3: Walker / Jefferson / Stephenson

Then you have Raptors and Hawks which are both competitive even with relatively quiet off seasons. Hawks just need to keep healthy much like Heat and Bulls. I'm not sure how well Wizards will do come playoffs since they lost Ariza. But Hornets, Heat and Bulls all seem very competitive to me. I was hoping Heat got Stephenson, he's going to be huge for the Hornets. If Jefferson had stayed healthy they could've easily pushed a few more games against LeBron's Heat last year.
I think it's a travesty not to include Dion Waiters as a Big 4 for Cleveland. He's been entirely neglected in the national media when he's arguably a better player (certainly a better scorer) than Kyrie. Kyrie might ultimately be the better asset, but not to include Waiters is really doing him and the team a disservice. At this point in their careers, I'll take Waiters over Wade, and I'd put him right up there with Beal. He's certainly more influential than Pierce, so I'd really say that Cleveland potentially has a "Big 4", and that's really where I think the debate gets turned on its head: Cleveland has a lot of scoring options and I don't simply consider Waiter's potential contributions to simply be of a role-player status. He's really effin' good. =)

Old 09-03-2014, 10:45 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
I almost did include Waiters actually, just edited it down before posting so it didn't get too complicated.

Last edited by EndersDrift; 09-03-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 01:57 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,801,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I think it's a travesty not to include Dion Waiters as a Big 4 for Cleveland. He's been entirely neglected in the national media when he's arguably a better player (certainly a better scorer) than Kyrie. Kyrie might ultimately be the better asset, but not to include Waiters is really doing him and the team a disservice. At this point in their careers, I'll take Waiters over Wade, and I'd put him right up there with Beal. He's certainly more influential than Pierce, so I'd really say that Cleveland potentially has a "Big 4", and that's really where I think the debate gets turned on its head: Cleveland has a lot of scoring options and I don't simply consider Waiter's potential contributions to simply be of a role-player status. He's really effin' good. =)
Yep! If you are a Cavs fan or a follower this is no secret. We need to enjoy Dion- he is going to get paid big time when his rookie deal is up.

I'm interested to see how we use him. I'd like to see him enter games mid way through 1st and ride out the first to early second provide a nice scoring punch when LBJ, Irving and Co. are on the bench.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Let's look at Waiters' stats.

Dion Waiters NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

.433 fg percentage. .368 from three point range--good but not great. .685 free throw shooting--mediocre for anyone, and downright crappy for a guard. 2.8 rebounds, and 3.0 assists per game.

This is the guy who is 'really effin good' and is going to lead the Cavs to the promised land?

Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,348 times
Default Back on Topic!

Hey. Lets quit talking about Cleveland. This thread is titled "Da Bulls"!

The Bulls played very well last year and have added a lot of talent. While I admit there still are questions, we have one of the best coaches in the game. Bulls fans have real hope that the coming season will lead us back to the championships.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:08 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Let's look at Waiters' stats.

Dion Waiters NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

.433 fg percentage. .368 from three point range--good but not great. .685 free throw shooting--mediocre for anyone, and downright crappy for a guard. 2.8 rebounds, and 3.0 assists per game.

This is the guy who is 'really effin good' and is going to lead the Cavs to the promised land?
Pretty sure no one said he was leading the Cavs to the promised land. I'm pretty sure we said he qualifies as a Big 3 or a Big 4. I don't think that's a reach. Did you watch him at the latter half of the season last year or did you just go google his name on Basketball Reference? And yes, I am absolutely predicting that he will continue improving.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:09 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Pretty sure no one said he was leading the Cavs to the promised land. I'm pretty sure we said he qualifies as a Big 3 or a Big 4. I don't think that's a reach. Did you watch him at the latter half of the season last year or did you just go google his name on Basketball Reference? And yes, I am absolutely predicting that he will continue improving.
I admit that I did not watch even one Cavs game last year so perhaps you are right. After all I remember guys like Scottie Pippen and Gary Payton did not really blossom until their 3rd year or so in the NBA.

Back to the Bulls, I heard that Pau Gasol is on fire in the FIBA games, going
against Brazil who has Splitter, Nene, and AV no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSixNOWCO-w

He looks very sharp on offense, and that is great news for the Bulls, as scoring is probably the one weakness this team has. Especially if they deliberately hold back D Rose, which I think is a no-brainer after the experience of last year.

Otherwise where do you get scoring? You have to hope Butler is much improved on offense, and that McD and/or Mirotic can produce as rookies. Or as Mathguy said, you have to have a Spurs-like team with 6-7 guys at or close to double figures.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:33 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I admit that I did not watch even one Cavs game last year so perhaps you are right. After all I remember guys like Scottie Pippen and Gary Payton did not really blossom until their 3rd year or so in the NBA.

Back to the Bulls, I heard that Pau Gasol is on fire in the FIBA games, going
against Brazil who has Splitter, Nene, and AV no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSixNOWCO-w

He looks very sharp on offense, and that is great news for the Bulls, as scoring is probably the one weakness this team has. Especially if they deliberately hold back D Rose, which I think is a no-brainer after the experience of last year.

Otherwise where do you get scoring? You have to hope Butler is much improved on offense, and that McD and/or Mirotic can produce as rookies. Or as Mathguy said, you have to have a Spurs-like team with 6-7 guys at or close to double figures.
Mirotic has played 4 years of pro-ball in Europe so I think he will produce just fine as a "rookie".

We've had people coming in here claiming Gasol was essentially way past his prime until I posted his stats from last year and then it got kinda quiet.

He's going to be a beast on a Bulls team that can use his talents and have the depth and team defense to let him rest as needed since he can play the 4 or 5 alongside either Noah or Gibson for max flexibility.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:39 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,801,379 times
Gasol- I admit I said that his shooting percentages have gone down the past couple years. They have- could this be a product of him having to take over a bad team- sure, but we will find out. I also said I would take him as a Cavalier in a second. Is he past his prime? Likely. His prime was pretty darn good though and he's got plenty of good basketball left.

Bulls have to worry about DRose getting back to MVP status. Plain and simple need no other explanation. Enough of the play Spurs ball- you don't have Spur like pieces or the championship level experience or Pop on your sideline (and don't be mad we don't either). Now if DRose plays like an MVP his game will open up your complimentary pieces. If he doesn't you have a playoff team that will be in a dog fight with the Heat, Wiz, Raptors of the world.

You weakness last year was outside shooting here's hoping that McDermott and Mirotic shoot the ball like they did at lower levels. Could they? Of course, but bias or no bias- you have more questions than my Cavs. In a game 7 I will take the best player in the world (with some nice players around him too).

Had some Ray Allen bashers in here- the Bulls could absolutely use him as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball