Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:39 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
bold baby bold
Okay, but truth by told, what were yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:41 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,095,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Okay, but truth by told, what were yours?
the only real far off thing i can think of off hand is the spurs 2013 finals loss.

i mean i picked gasol to go to the spurs, i picked the roy/aldridge blazers to go somewhere too. ummm other then some minor stuff, yeah i been pretty spot on LOL

Old 02-04-2015, 08:49 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
the only real far off thing i can think of off hand is the spurs 2013 finals loss.

i mean i picked gasol to go to the spurs, i picked the roy/aldridge blazers to go somewhere too. ummm other then some minor stuff, yeah i been pretty spot on LOL
Ok, that's a challenge.
I'm gonna have to do some digging now...heh heh heh.
(Not sure why but I'm thinking you had some Lebron stuff kinda out there but I'm getting old and senile and....wait, what were we talking about?)

Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, that's a challenge.
I'm gonna have to do some digging now...heh heh heh.
(Not sure why but I'm thinking you had some Lebron stuff kinda out there but I'm getting old and senile and....wait, what were we talking about?)
well my biggest outspoken was about lin being garbage, and the spurs being not so old.
(injuries are making them look pretty human right now)

Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
well my biggest outspoken was about lin being garbage, and the spurs being not so old.
(injuries are making them look pretty human right now)
Lin didn't turn out to be garbage, he's just not a solid starter.
He's a decent bench player.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lin didn't turn out to be garbage, he's just not a solid starter.
He's a decent bench player.
He's a SO-SO backup on the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the league. He's garbage

Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 AM

347 posts, read 650,583 times
Quote:
He's a SO-SO backup on the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the league. He's garbage
Lin needs a certain system to make the most of his abilities. During his "Linsanity" period with the Knicks, he worked best as a high-usage ball handler with one dominant PnR big man and 3 spot-up shooters around the arc. In other words, the sort of system that Stan Van Gundy favors. He had (and has) a serviceable jump shot, and was a surprisingly strong and crafty finisher at the rim.

But as an off-ball player or secondary ball-handler, yes, he's a rather mediocre player. He's just not flexible or good enough to play without the ball in his hands, mainly because his jump shot is still kinda iffy. He's also a defensive liability*.

Overall, without the flexibility to play well in different systems, and without the dominant talent to start on a good team during the golden age of the PG, where does Lin fit in? I see him as either a starter on a bad to mediocre team that's built around the Van Gundy system, or a bench PG playing with players in such a system.

What's clear is that the Lakers this year definitely do not have players that fit that system. Also, Lin is too talented to be out of the NBA completely.

* It was once thought that with the modern NBA's hand-checking rules that PG defense doesn't matter as much anymore, simply because it's too hard to defend that position adequately. But with Chris Paul showing how it's done, and former defensive sieves like Damian Lillard and Steph Curry showing marked improvement on that end, it's really been more of a case that defenses (and defensive theory) needed time to adjust to the new crop of speedy scoring PGs.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:41 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
For this year. I thought the Spurs and Thunder would once again be tops in the West, and the Clippers better than the Warriors. And that the Grizzlies would be a non-factor. Oops.

The East has been fairly predictable, other than the Hawks, who no one saw coming.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:25 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
My surprises for the year.

Golden State #1 in the West

Hawks #1 in East instead of 4 or 5

The Milwaukee bucks are 8th instead of a Lottery Team

Amare Stodamire would start playing the way he did in Phoenix again since he has time to heal for knee injury....Man did I get that one wrong

Old 02-12-2015, 10:03 AM

347 posts, read 650,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Amare Stodamire would start playing the way he did in Phoenix again since he has time to heal for knee injury....Man did I get that one wrong
That's something I could never believe. The only player that I could think of that has play effectively after multiple surgeries to the same area was Zydrunas Ilgauskas (foot injuries). But Big Z was never quite 100% and needed to miss games during the regular season.

STAT's injuries seem much worse. He's had surgery on both knees, with some surgeries done expressly to clean out detritus and dead tissue. His knees are constantly swelling up. Part of his woes stem from the way he plays, as he's still a very quick and explosive player when his knees aren't acting up.

That said, he's done his part in reducing some of the stress on his knees by staying trim (he's really skinny now compared with other PFs, and compared with when he was a man-child rookie). But still, much of his game is based on his quickness and dunks over other similarly-sized humans, and playing that way is just not good for the knees no matter how light you make yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball