Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:50 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
When growing up and watching the NBA, I didnt recall Jordan, Bird, Barkley, Domonique, or Isaiah Thomas getting a night off to rest. The season was 82 games still and started the 1st week of November like it does now. If anything they may have played very limited minutes if it was the last 3-5 games, but they still played. Not sure why its so many back to back games now adays vs the past.

There is nothing worse that paying a premium price to see the Cavs, Heat, etc to get there and see Lebron in a suit and out for rest. These players are getting paid up to $20 million a year to PLAY, not sit in a suit because they played the night before. You cant predict a injury as they can happen on game 1 of the season (Julius Randle) or in the playoffs.

So should coaches rest their players or develop the team so it should be 9-10 people playing per night instead of these 7-8 man lineups which is wearing alot of the starters out?
No excuse. Purchase tickets at the last second when you know who's playing if that's a factor. You rest your players as much as you can, a coaches job is winning titles not entertaining the fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 11:42 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
If it's the last 3 to 4 games of the season and everything is CLINCHED I don't see a issue with it.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:10 AM

25 posts, read 18,576 times
Who cares about a meaningless regular season game? It's all about the playoffs.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:12 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
No excuse. Purchase tickets at the last second when you know who's playing if that's a factor. You rest your players as much as you can, a coaches job is winning titles not entertaining the fans.

You pay these players to play, not sit in suits. You cant predict an injury, as it can happen on day 1 or in the playoffs just like Westbrook and Ibaka did for OKC. Like others have mentioned, if its 3 games to go and your in 1st, yeah rest people, but when your 60 games into the year, they need to play their starters even if its limited minutes.

A ticket to see the 76ers play in the same seat will be $25 vs $50-60 if ithe the Warriors or Cavs. Would you pay $80-100 for a ticket for a Warriors vs Cavs game, just to see Lebron, Curry, and Irving sitting in a suit.

If fans didnt come to games to see these superstars, these teams would make no money or have to sell their teams from low revenue, so entertaining fans is part of it as well, if not ALL seats need to be one flat rate price no matter who is playing.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
If it's the last 3 to 4 games of the season and everything is CLINCHED I don't see a issue with it.
I kinda expect that, but now coaches are pulling this off 50-60 games into the year.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
What you're not getting, it's not about trying to "predict an injury" it's about fatigue.

How about we tell the coaches to play their stars 2 minutes, maybe the tip off then a time out?

Tim Duncan has had his minutes limited, and has sat out of plenty of his games. Look at what he's doing at 37-38-39 yrs old. Look where Kobe is, look how long AI played, Durant is showing wear, wade is a shell.these guys who play 35-40+ per game are wearing out. Their body's can't take that grind.

As I said, I'd rather my coach sit the stars a few times per year and get to enjoy them for a longer career.

Does it work for everyone? No, but in the end the "product" is better longer than if the coaches ran guys 35+ for 82-100 games per year

Old 04-03-2015, 01:10 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
Its a coaches job to win, and to have tasks performed to accomplish that goal. if it means sitting players, then too bad on the fans. Why anyone goes to these games anyway is beyond me. Theres a time out every few minutes, a foul which is another stoppage in play, and I see constantly a player come down the court, none of his teammates in position under the basket, at least 12-15 seconds left on shot clock and chucks up a 3. ( e.g. carmelo Anthony). thats not basketball and I refuse to watch it.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:18 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
It also good to have choice bench players hone their game when it's possible.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:39 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
First of all, it's "fewer" minutes.

Yes, I think the coaches are correct in giving players a night off, despite what the fans may want.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
First of all, it's "fewer" minutes.

Yes, I think the coaches are correct in giving players a night off, despite what the fans may want.

Wow you must be really bored and have no life to resurrect a 3yr old thread to point out a grammar error

Every game should cost the exact same regardless who is on the team then or whether its the Warriors, Lakers or Brooklyn Nets playing, since you will never know if the person you paid extra to see play, will even play at all then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball