Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 PM

520 posts, read 730,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
The East might have the best group of 8 teams but the West had four of the league's top five teams overall.
Actually that's incorrect. The top 5 records were Golden State, San Antonio, Cleveland, Oklahoma City, and Toronto. The Clippers were 6th best. And 6 of the top 10 teams were in the East, while 6 of the top 10 worst teams were in the West. That means more bottom dwellers for the top teams to beat up. The whole Eastern Conference being weak argument holds no weight anymore. In years past it did, but clearly not anymore. I'd still give a slight advantage to the Western Conference, but for anyone to say the East is weak, is pretty comical. But people like to live in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 11:36 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,801,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I think this is a major key. I dont know how many shots he had tonight, but he had only one in Game 1? He has to get more shots, and Atlanta has to figure out a way to get him free. I know he is not an off the dribble shooter, but they have got to get creative and getting him looks.
He's a free pass to the basket on the other end. I think you take him off the court throw in a stopper. What is really hurting the Hawks is Teague playing at 80%. He's the kind of guy that could give the Cavs problems

Old 05-05-2016, 06:12 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,084,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Pretty much. He should be 1-5 in the finals instead of 2-4.

It'll be interesting to see how the landscape changes when the salary cap goes up this summer.

Hawks were overrated last year and this year.
the Hawks really don't have star power, their best players are horford and Teague, neither is really a "star"
I'd say over achieving more than over rated

Old 05-05-2016, 06:35 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
Actually that's incorrect. The top 5 records were Golden State, San Antonio, Cleveland, Oklahoma City, and Toronto. The Clippers were 6th best. And 6 of the top 10 teams were in the East, while 6 of the top 10 worst teams were in the West. That means more bottom dwellers for the top teams to beat up. The whole Eastern Conference being weak argument holds no weight anymore. In years past it did, but clearly not anymore. I'd still give a slight advantage to the Western Conference, but for anyone to say the East is weak, is pretty comical. But people like to live in the past.
Repped! This exactly---the Spurs and Warriors were 12 and 18 games better than the third best team in the conference, and got to spend all year beating up on the Kings, Wolves, Rockets, Suns, etc... I get so tired of this lame East-bashing in this forum. Clearly, the East is the stronger conference overall (top-to-bottom)--and will get even stronger this offseason, if Durant makes the right decision and heads East...

The West is top heavy, that's it. Fortunately, the Cavs showed in the regular season that they can play with the Spurs and Thunder. The Warriors and Spurs are still better, but honestly this should be a terrific Finals this year. The gap between the Spurs/Warriors and Cavs is shrinking...

The Cavs can play. They still have Lebron, who, even if he isn't in his "prime" anymore, if he plays at his MOST dominant, he is far and away the best player on the floor in any series--Lebron at his best is better than Curry, Leonard, Durant, ANYBODY else at their best...my fellow city-data posters, keep sleeping on the Cavs. They have the ultimate equalizer, and if they can continue to improve their ball movement and perimeter d, good luck to anybody who comes from the West...

Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Repped! This exactly---the Spurs and Warriors were 12 and 18 games better than the third best team in the conference, and got to spend all year beating up on the Kings, Wolves, Rockets, Suns, etc... I get so tired of this lame East-bashing in this forum. Clearly, the East is the stronger conference overall (top-to-bottom)--and will get even stronger this offseason, if Durant makes the right decision and heads East...

The West is top heavy, that's it. Fortunately, the Cavs showed in the regular season that they can play with the Spurs and Thunder. The Warriors and Spurs are still better, but honestly this should be a terrific Finals this year. The gap between the Spurs/Warriors and Cavs is shrinking...

The Cavs can play. They still have Lebron, who, even if he isn't in his "prime" anymore, if he plays at his MOST dominant, he is far and away the best player on the floor in any series--Lebron at his best is better than Curry, Leonard, Durant, ANYBODY else at their best...my fellow city-data posters, keep sleeping on the Cavs. They have the ultimate equalizer, and if they can continue to improve their ball movement and perimeter d, good luck to anybody who comes from the West...
Yeah the OKC LAC on the level of Cleveland is garbage and is outrageous. Cavs would win in 5 if OKC gets through. And the Finals will be good with Spurs and Dubs because it appears the Cavs are finally at a point mentally to compete with those two. The Cavs can and probably will win a title if they are sound in between the ears this next month.

One of the more overlooked points this season- The Dubs and Spurs have proven to be worthy champions- the Cavs have that same potential in them as well.

From the Cavs standpoint-

This was probably the most unsatisfying 57-25 team you will find in NBA history. They play uninspired BBall for 80% of the year.

Lebron could be playing his best basketball EVER the past three months- and lately he's not even getting the calls he normally has gotten the past 12 years.

Teams will have to deal with Thompson- honestly if the Cavs hit shots and some of these occasional misses get taken up by Thompson- Good Luck to the opposition.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 05-05-2016 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
the Hawks really don't have star power, their best players are horford and Teague, neither is really a "star"
I'd say over achieving more than over rated
Paul Milsap?

I'd say they are a very good team if you can't matchup with them. And you are seeing Jeff Teague at about 75-80% with a bad ankle and an Achilles.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Paul Milsap?

I'd say they are a very good team if you can't matchup with them. And you are seeing Jeff Teague at about 75-80% with a bad ankle and an Achilles.
yeah milsap is included but hes really not a "star" either. above average but not top level.
they are missing that big name high level talent.
put a leonard, durant, lebron, or what not on there, the way coach bud coaches them and they would be a totally different animal. they just dont have a "that guy"

Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
yeah milsap is included but hes really not a "star" either. above average but not top level.
they are missing that big name high level talent.
put a leonard, durant, lebron, or what not on there, the way coach bud coaches them and they would be a totally different animal. they just dont have a "that guy"
Atlanta has won three playoff series the past two years...they aren't doing too badly. Looks like they are meeting up with a team AGAIN that matches up with them well. I don't think I'd call them overachievers. If you can't acquire a "star" they have the next best thing a deep core of good players that fulfill a role. Paul Millsap is a fringe star in my opinion. Can do it on the defensive end and he's an efficient scorer and rebounder.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:55 AM

That's the whole point, in a star driven league they have none but are doing pretty well.

As I said, put a top tier guy on that team and they become a much more formidable opponent. As they stand now they are a well coached team of fringe, average and below talent winning. It's the very definition of over achieving.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,921 times

Are you drunk my Friend ???

Houston would've been in the ECF this year Lol

The road to the East has been one sided since the 90s to be honest.We all knew the 08 Celtics was gonna win,
We knew the Heat & Cavs was gonna win.But it's funny how the East ends up gettin thrashed every year in the all star game & how they fold in the Finals Lmao

Like LeBron said,He need Cp3,Wade & Carmelo before he done Lol. SAD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball