Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:36 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Then how do you explain all the laker fans who have become warrior fans the last year or 2 since the lakers suck and the Warriors now don't?
The NorCal vs SoCal rivalry is pretty one-sided...people from LA and the rest of SoCal don't really have much animosity towards the Bay Area. The only exception may be the SF Giants, from Dodger fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The NorCal vs SoCal rivalry is pretty one-sided...people from LA and the rest of SoCal don't really have much animosity towards the Bay Area. The only exception may be the SF Giants, from Dodger fans.
That's my point, laker fans (especially around here) will claim any Cali team except the Kings. Who ever happens to be winning at that moment.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:48 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
That's my point, laker fans (especially around here) will claim any Cali team except the Kings. Who ever happens to be winning at that moment.
Well, maybe they are older and are worried that they'll die before the Lakers are a playoff team again?

Old 05-16-2016, 05:56 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times
Quote:
The Lakers beat the Kings, every time. There is no animosity from SoCal fans (although I've noticed Kings fans strongly dislike SoCal). I like the system they currently have, despite being hamstrung by personality and chemistry issues.

Personally, after 2011, I can't root for the Clippers. Otherwise I support any California sports team.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:45 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
If OKC wins a championship the Cali fans will jump on pointing out that OKC is west of the Mississippi.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:11 AM

this just made me laugh a little thinking about this thread

Old 05-19-2016, 03:16 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Yeah, yeah...and most Spurs fans don't know who George Gervin is, right?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah, yeah...and most Spurs fans don't know who George Gervin is, right?
if any team out there has organic, true fans it would be the spurs. yes we all know who the iceman is.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 AM

596 posts, read 428,758 times
I've always been a fan of the Sonics since that's my closest hometown team. When I lived in Portland I got tickets to most of the home games through a work connection and enjoyed them a lot.

Other than the Sonics, I've always liked individual players more. So, depending on which team my favorite players were playing on, that is what team I liked. The stars aligned when Ricky was on the Sonics, and GP...and then when Jesus was on the Sonics I was in heaven. In the early 90's one of my all time favorite college players was drafted by the Clippers. I bought a Clippers hat and wore that around SoCal...you'd think I was a leper.

Teams I've been a "fan" of based on which player played for said team.

Bucks...Jesus
Sonics...Jesus, GP, Ricky
Clippers...Bo
Celtics...Reggie, Jesus
Miami...Harold, Khalid Reeves, Jesus

Now, I'm a fan of the Warriors...Klay (went to the same college) and Spurs...Leonard.

I'm guess I'm more a fan of individual players than actual teams. I've never hung my hat on a "team"....although the Sonics broke my heart a number of times in the late 80's and early 90's.

So for me, I follow the players. But I never bought jersey's, only wore a hat a few times, and don't typically get into the MY team is better than YOUR team blah-blah-blah thing.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:43 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Maybe I'm a Bandwagon Fan?

Last year I had no idea who the Golden State Warriors were, or where they came from. Then I discovered that Steve Kerr was their coach. He was an Arizona Wildcat. Luke Walton was another coach of theirs, and he was an Arizona Wildcat. I'm a born & bred Arizonan, so I gravitated over to them.

Yep, I climbed on their bandwagon throughout the season, after never having been a fan before! Then they go on to win the NBA Championship, and I was as happy as any new, bandwagon-climbing fan could be!

Certainly beats being a Phoenix Suns follower.

However, this year, I'm not all that sure about GSW. They're kind of iffy. I may need to climb on the Oklahoma City Thunder's bandwagon...

The good news? As a bandwagon fan, I'll have a championship team every year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball