Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will you root to fail?
Lebron 17 54.84%
Curry/Warriors 14 45.16%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:06 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,449,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm rooting for Cleveland for no other reason than I feel sorry for them and that they've never won a championship.

I've never hated either team, never hated Lebron.

Most of the Lebron haters around here are Kobe fans, IMO most of the Jordan fans have never reacted the same way because of different eras and different positions.

I don't really even see much Bulls hate toward GS frankly, probably because the Kerr factor and also because....they've only won one title.

My attitude towards 73 wins was...go for it if you want...but watch out that it could cost you a title. It almost did. Frankly I'm glad as a fan that they went for it, made the season super interesting.

So frankly, I think that some of the "hater" talk gets thrown around when just pointing out facts.

I've been called "hater" for pointing out lots of things like:

3 years ago how the Lakers were screwed = I'm a hater
How Dion Waiters needed to be traded = I'm a hater

So, the term doesn't have much zing. Some of the criticism has merit.

I appreciate you rooting for Cleveland. But. please don't play that "I feel sorry for Cleveland" card, I'm not a f****n' charity case or in need of any other city's sympathy or pity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 11:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,133,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I appreciate you rooting for Cleveland. But. please don't play that "I feel sorry for Cleveland" card, I'm not a f****n' charity case or in need of any other city's sympathy or pity.
Are you Cleveland!? Hello Cleveland,
Had no idea you could talk!

Old 06-02-2016, 05:27 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,781,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
So you're passive aggressively saying Jordan isn't one of the greatest shooters in nba history?
It was more of a laughing dismissal.

So we've got the 90-50-40 club plus some other great shooters.

Stephen Curry
Larry Bird
Steve Nash
Reggie Miller
Mark Price
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Durant
Ray Allen
Rick Barry
Jerry West
Chris Mullin
Peja Stojakovic

Where does Jordan fit on that list?

Being a great scorer =/= being one of the greatest shooters of all time. Jordan was known as a suspect shooter when he entered the League and developed into a good shooter. But I wouldn't say he was one of the greatest shooters in NBA history.

Being the "greatest" at something doesn't mean you are the greatest at everything. Roger Federer has a great backhand, but he doesn't have "one of the greatest backhands of all time." He has a good serve but not "one of the greatest serves of all time." It's more about the way he puts all of his tools together rather than the greatness of any one single tool. The same is true of Jordan.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,479,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Being the "greatest" at something doesn't mean you are the greatest at everything. Roger Federer has a great backhand, but he doesn't have "one of the greatest backhands of all time." He has a good serve but not "one of the greatest serves of all time." It's more about the way he puts all of his tools together rather than the greatness of any one single tool. The same is true of Jordan.
This is a very controversial thing to say on this forum. There are many people that think you can't criticize anybody or any part of their game because reasons.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:40 AM

759 posts, read 638,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Theres no question the playoffs is where legends are made. Its the same in all sports. Its why Lebron will never surpass Jordan as the GOAT!
This pretty much sums up the last 8 pages of this thread.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:27 AM

167 posts, read 125,953 times
This is one of the rare series when I want both teams to win.

I guess I prefer the Warriors by a hair, only because it would be a waste of a historic season if they lose. I don't want to hear about the Bulls' 1996 season anymore and how it's the epithome of winning.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
This is one of the rare series when I want both teams to win.

I guess I prefer the Warriors by a hair, only because it would be a waste of a historic season if they lose. I don't want to hear about the Bulls' 1996 season anymore and how it's the epithome of winning.
So you'd rather have the Warriors win back to back championships than see a city who hasn't won anything since 64 take one home and commence the biggest sports related party of this century?

I mean, I don't get it. Why would an outside observer root for the Yankees of the NBA?

Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I mean, I don't get it. Why would an outside observer root for the Yankees of the NBA?
How are the Warriors the Yankees of the NBA?

The Warriors are a very easy team to like.

-Curry's mom is hot.
-They are from the Bay Area, which is "hella" cool.
-Steph looks like he's 12. Kids like other kids.
-Their major talent was drafted (Klay, Steph, Barnes, Green) rather than assembled like a crew of mercenaries.
-They stress teamwork and unity ("Strength in Numbers"), selflessness ("My Brother's Keeper") and responsibility ("Next Man Up!")
-Steve Kerr is a chill guy with a great sense of humor.
-They look like they're having fun!
-Ros Gold is hot.
-Riley is cute and Ayesha is hilarious.
-They have cool jerseys.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-02-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How are the Warriors the Yankees of the NBA?
Hey man, kudos to you for not paying attention to the hype machine!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hey man, kudos to you for not paying attention to the hype machine!
Yep. They are America's Team right now. They pull in tons of casual fans. Cute hipster chicks couldn't care less about a Cavs-Thunder Finals, but they will be packing bars tonight in urban enclaves all over America to see the Warriors. The Warriors attract the attention of the demographic that marketers want the most. Warrior jerseys have become somewhat of a fashion trend in NYC.

Of course, for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. There are going to be those people who hate the Warriors because they are so popular. And I actually don't have a problem with that. It becomes somewhat annoying when someone is universally adored. But the Warriors are enjoying immense popularity right now and that's good for the sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball