Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will you root to fail?
Lebron 17 54.84%
Curry/Warriors 14 45.16%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
One has a championship and an unprecedented hype machine behind it. The other has never won ever in a city that hasn't won anything since 1964. The choice is pretty clear, if you are a sports fan.
I wouldn't say "unprecedented." The Chicago Bulls of the 90s were HUGE. The only difference was that there wasn't any social media. The mass media pretty much fawned over Jordan and the Bulls the same way though.

Jordan had...

Come Fly With Me
A music video with Michael Jackson
Jordan shampoo and cologne
Space Jam
"Like Mike" commercial
The "off the rafter, off the scoreboard" McDonald's commercials with Bird
"Better eat your Wheaties"

Way more mass media saturation than the Warriors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 12:17 PM

828 posts, read 691,106 times
I clicked the wrong button. I'm rooting for Lebron...to win. I want to see him win one for Cleveland. Curry still has plenty of time to win more rings. Hopefully Lebron gets another one.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:26 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wouldn't say "unprecedented." The Chicago Bulls of the 90s were HUGE. The only difference was that there wasn't any social media. The mass media pretty much fawned over Jordan and the Bulls the same way though.

Jordan had...

Come Fly With Me
A music video with Michael Jackson
Jordan shampoo and cologne
Space Jam
"Like Mike" commercial
The "off the rafter, off the scoreboard" McDonald's commercials with Bird
"Better eat your Wheaties"

Way more mass media saturation than the Warriors
Yeah, but we DO have social media now. Any hype in the past is child's play. Open instagram? Steph Curry. Facebook? Steph Curry. Snapchat? Steph Curry. Tv? Steph Curry. This Warriors team and Steph Curry reaches more people in a month than any team from the 90s reached in a season. That's just the nature of the internet these days. Maybe if you transported the Bulls through time to now it'd be worse, but that's impossible and not worth discussing.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Are you The Bay? No! I had no idea you could talk either. I was referring to the citizens of Cleveland.

In that case yes, Cleveland does need our pity & sympathy for years of ineptitude. People want a title for Cleveland not for Lebron....

Old 06-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It was more of a laughing dismissal.

So we've got the 90-50-40 club plus some other great shooters.

Stephen Curry
Larry Bird
Steve Nash
Reggie Miller
Mark Price
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Durant
Ray Allen
Rick Barry
Jerry West
Chris Mullin
Peja Stojakovic

Where does Jordan fit on that list?

Being a great scorer =/= being one of the greatest shooters of all time. Jordan was known as a suspect shooter when he entered the League and developed into a good shooter. But I wouldn't say he was one of the greatest shooters in NBA history.

Being the "greatest" at something doesn't mean you are the greatest at everything. Roger Federer has a great backhand, but he doesn't have "one of the greatest backhands of all time." He has a good serve but not "one of the greatest serves of all time." It's more about the way he puts all of his tools together rather than the greatness of any one single tool. The same is true of Jordan.

I get the nuance of your post, but the name of the game is putting the ball in the hoop and Jordan is the best of all time at that. All great choices to take a last shot, but Id pick Jordan over all of them for a game winning shot.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:31 PM

167 posts, read 125,522 times
Quote:
So.... like the Cavs too back in the day.

One has a championship and an unprecedented hype machine behind it. The other has never won ever in a city that hasn't won anything since 1964. The choice is pretty clear, if you are a sports fan.
I don't really get it, but ok. I don't really feel sorry for Cleveland (just a tiny bit), and I don't watch sportcenter, talk shows, halftime shows or whatever. So I guess "hype machine" doesn't bother me. It's not so hard to ignore it, why waste your time on it if it bothers you.

I was born into a family of basketball nuts and I've been following it for a long time, but I guess if I'm not a sports fan, so be it, you know better.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:27 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
I don't really get it, but ok. I don't really feel sorry for Cleveland (just a tiny bit), and I don't watch sportcenter, talk shows, halftime shows or whatever. So I guess "hype machine" doesn't bother me. It's not so hard to ignore it, why waste your time on it if it bothers you.

I was born into a family of basketball nuts and I've been following it for a long time, but I guess if I'm not a sports fan, so be it, you know better.
Thank you for conceding to being a front runner and not really being a sports fan.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Lol it's an easy answer. Golden state warriors are the heavy favorites all year, historically like the Yankees. The front runner favorites. Only warrior worshipping fools can't understand this.
Ummm, were the Warriors favorites to win it all last season?
Before last season, they were in the Finals 40 years prior. Is that historically winning like the Yankees?
Is their payroll historically high like the Yankees?
Do they win inordinate amount of championships like the Yankees?
Before winning last season, was the Warriors brand famous worldwide like the Yankees?

Old 06-02-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ummm, were the Warriors favorites to win it all last season?
Before last season, they were in the Finals 40 years prior. Is that historically winning like the Yankees?
Is there payroll historically high like the Yankees?
Do they win inordinate amount of championships like the Yankees?
Before winning last season, was the Warriors brand famous worldwide like the Yankees?

You are correct. The Yankees of the NBA are the Lakers n Celtics

Old 06-02-2016, 05:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You are correct. The Yankees of the NBA are the Lakers n Celtics
But, you know, take away all their championships, the Yankees are pretty average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball