Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 PM

65 posts, read 79,425 times

Advertisements

I'm 100% postive this wont even be competitive!!

Celtics got lucky winning bulls when rondo went down..

Cavs in 4

Old 05-15-2017, 10:07 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
I'm 100% postive this wont even be competitive!!

Celtics got lucky winning bulls when rondo went down..

Cavs in 4
I agree the Cavs will dismantle the Celtics, but I don't see it happening with a sweep.

I'll take Cavs in 5, and I think it'll be a close 5 (no blowouts).

Bron tore apart the Raptors single handed, and I see this being no different

Old 05-16-2017, 03:27 AM

65 posts, read 79,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I agree the Cavs will dismantle the Celtics, but I don't see it happening with a sweep.

Agree but the way bron playing i believe getting 1 game against him seems VERY difficult his on a mission to be GOAT and beat jordan.

If he beats this warriors team,he will get the crown!

Old 05-16-2017, 08:50 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
Agree but the way bron playing i believe getting 1 game against him seems VERY difficult his on a mission to be GOAT and beat jordan.

If he beats this warriors team,he will get the crown!
The Warriors definitely aren't unbeatable.

The Trailblazers & Jazz both played them tough and close a couple games. And as we saw the other night, had Kawhi not got hurt, the Spurs take game 1. The Warriors obviously have an unbelievable offense, but Curry can't play D which opens up Irving.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:03 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:

The Trailblazers & Jazz both played them tough and close a couple games. And as we saw the other night, had Kawhi not got hurt, the Spurs take game 1. The Warriors obviously have an unbelievable offense, but Curry can't play D which opens up Irving.
Curry has been getting heavy minutes on a top 5 defense for years. He was #12 in the NBA in defensive win shares this year, and Westbrook was the only point guard ahead of him. Curry was also tied for 3rd among guards in DRtg, after Westbrook and Ginobli.

Small sample size bedamned, Curry is #2 in playoffs defensive win shares. He's also #10 in DRtg among players who've played at least 20 minutes in the playoffs, and the top point guard.

If you watch the games, you see that he is usually directing ball handlers to the help defense, and he has disruptive hands. He's not a stopper on an island, but he doesn't need to be. People who claim he can't play D aren't paying attention. Every team is beatable, no matter how good. But the Warriors are the steepest mountain in the NBA.

Quote:

I think Boston is a better matchup (and a better team) than the Raptors. Boston has been very effective in the pick & roll, which the Cavs have struggled to defend. I think the Cavs will win, but it will be a good series.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:27 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Curry has been getting heavy minutes on a top 5 defense for years. He was #12 in the NBA in defensive win shares this year, and Westbrook was the only point guard ahead of him. Curry was also tied for 3rd among guards in DRtg, after Westbrook and Ginobli.

Small sample size bedamned, Curry is #2 in playoffs defensive win shares. He's also #10 in DRtg among players who've played at least 20 minutes in the playoffs, and the top point guard.

If you watch the games, you see that he is usually directing ball handlers to the help defense, and he has disruptive hands. He's not a stopper on an island, but he doesn't need to be. People who claim he can't play D aren't paying attention. Every team is beatable, no matter how good. But the Warriors are the steepest mountain in the NBA.

I think Boston is a better matchup (and a better team) than the Raptors. Boston has been very effective in the pick & roll, which the Cavs have struggled to defend. I think the Cavs will win, but it will be a good series.
Cavs have a good idea how to attack Curry and more importantly make a concerted effort for him to work on that end. I can't deny that the Warriors play excellent team defense and have extremely active hands- Curry is Johnny on the spot loose ball steal collector and is EXCELLENT in picking up those loose balls getting in transition and getting either an open look for himself or another player. The truth is the Cavs will isolate him again maybe get him in foul trouble again and wear out that thin frame of his. At least I hope that will be the game plan as it has been the last 10 or so games.

Again, I said this last week. If you want to beat the Cavs- it might be pick and roll but you can't shoot the ball like Boston typically does.

The Pacers aside from coaching being blah they were game, but undermanned, Raptors were mentally defeated within Game 1 showed a little spark in Game 4 (because Lowry was out) but nothing else. The Celtics will be a tougher challenge, they are coached well and they have PG playing well that is getting a lot of whistles. Although, the Wizards scared me personally. I think they could win a couple just by the way they execute offensively- inside out game, transition, they have a couple shooters as well. They had a contest with Cleveland in Washington midseason (one of the best regular season games of the year) they were fearless.

Boston needs to execute better offensively.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:

It is different challenge this year.

Last year the Warriors would roll out a second unit at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th that would force the Cavs into early substitutions. They have some pieces of that second unit gone- which were key in making 1/2 point games into 8 point leads.

This year you have an extra shooter/scorer/superstar to deal with. There is still just one basketball but its nice insurance if a couple guys aren't bringing it on a given night.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times
The Cavs also have some more nice bench pieces this year. I like Deron Williams. Haven't heard his name in years. Somehow I doubt the Cavs will fail to show up in games 1-2 and dig themselves that kind of hole again.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:56 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Cavs have a good idea how to attack Curry and more importantly make a concerted effort for him to work on that end. I can't deny that the Warriors play excellent team defense and have extremely active hands- Curry is Johnny on the spot loose ball steal collector and is EXCELLENT in picking up those loose balls getting in transition and getting either an open look for himself or another player. The truth is the Cavs will isolate him again maybe get him in foul trouble again and wear out that thin frame of his. At least I hope that will be the game plan as it has been the last 10 or so games.

Again, I said this last week. If you want to beat the Cavs- it might be pick and roll but you can't shoot the ball like Boston typically does.

The Pacers aside from coaching being blah they were game, but undermanned, Raptors were mentally defeated within Game 1 showed a little spark in Game 4 (because Lowry was out) but nothing else. The Celtics will be a tougher challenge, they are coached well and they have PG playing well that is getting a lot of whistles. Although, the Wizards scared me personally. I think they could win a couple just by the way they execute offensively- inside out game, transition, they have a couple shooters as well. They had a contest with Cleveland in Washington midseason (one of the best regular season games of the year) they were fearless.

Boston needs to execute better offensively.
I would love to see the Cavs try to ISO Irving on Curry. Taking the ball out of Lebron's hands is not a good strategy for the Cavs. Kyrie may make some plays, but the Warriors help defense is not going to give him good looks at the rim. If he's taking contested jump shots, that's a win.

Boston needs to move the ball, move off of the ball, and make open shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
It is different challenge this year.

Last year the Warriors would roll out a second unit at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th that would force the Cavs into early substitutions. They have some pieces of that second unit gone- which were key in making 1/2 point games into 8 point leads.

This year you have an extra shooter/scorer/superstar to deal with. There is still just one basketball but its nice insurance if a couple guys aren't bringing it on a given night.
When he's locked in, Durant is an elite defender and a great fit for the Warriors defensive scheme.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I would love to see the Cavs try to ISO Irving on Curry. Taking the ball out of Lebron's hands is not a good strategy for the Cavs. Kyrie may make some plays, but the Warriors help defense is not going to give him good looks at the rim. If he's taking contested jump shots, that's a win.

Boston needs to move the ball, move off of the ball, and make open shots.

When he's locked in, Durant is an elite defender and a great fit for the Warriors defensive scheme.
The Warriors claim to fame is that they can switch on anyone. The Cavs are a different challenge for that (aside from 2015 when Delly was Lebron's sidekick) The Cavs typically slow it down and find Curry. Last year Curry had a reach in fest took some hard picks on the perimeter and gave the impression the game was too physical for him. He'll have another year to prove us wrong- he was the 5th/6th best player in the Series last year.

Durant makes them a more dangerous team. I've wondered if its a better team.

Kyrie NEEDS to make plays for the Cavs to win.

I look for Boston to run some nice offensive sets (as they did last night around the bucket) and get some good looks over the course of the series. Can they do it when the Cavs tighten the reins in the 4th? Will they get lulled into a 3 point fest when the Cavs have a hot shooting spurt behind the arc? Can someone body Lebron for 44 minutes? Can someone keep Tristan Thompson off the glass?

Boston needs Thomas to be an MVP and have some outstanding shooting efforts and maintain the effort and energy on the defensive end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball