Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 02:19 PM

27 posts, read 52,226 times

Advertisements

Early in the season yes however they did just beat #2 Mich St without arguably their best player in Bagley (eye injury) and finally have a true point guard in Duval along with Player of Year favorite Allen and lots of depth. Hate em or not give me honest opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 04:23 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
I’ve thought about it and would be nice, but being so young they aren’t unbeatable. It’s Duke so even without being #1 every team will be hyped up to take them out. I guess if they make it to 25-0 I might feel like I should really think about it.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:42 PM

939 posts, read 506,119 times
Nope. If it happens, more likely that it will be Wichita, or perhaps Xavier or Villanova if one can sweep the other in the Big East's regular season. I look for the teams in conferences with precipitous drops once your past the top one or two teams.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:57 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
I have my doubts that we will ever see a perfect Mens NCAA team again.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 PM

I think it might eventually happen within 20 years or so. Imagine a player like Lebron coming up now and being landed by a Duke or Kentucky who already have a lot of the good players. College ball is kinda nice though because on any given day in March a team of relative no bodies can play out of their minds and knock off a juggernaut.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Nope. If it happens, more likely that it will be Wichita, or perhaps Xavier or Villanova if one can sweep the other in the Big East's regular season. I look for the teams in conferences with precipitous drops once your past the top one or two teams.
If one of those teams gets a spectacular recruiting class it would be easier. Maybe have a easy non conference schedule, down year for their conference, and get a #1 seed. The first 2 games are almost always won by the #1 seed and they probably win 70% of sweet 16 games. That would leave them with 3 tough games...maybe they even get lucky and a few teams have injuries.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If one of those teams gets a spectacular recruiting class it would be easier. Maybe have a easy non conference schedule, down year for their conference, and get a #1 seed. The first 2 games are almost always won by the #1 seed and they probably win 70% of sweet 16 games. That would leave them with 3 tough games...maybe they even get lucky and a few teams have injuries.
I think at this point the Big East has proven to be as capable as the BCS conferences of winning titles and competing for Final Fours. However, I think the Big East is particularly top heavy, even if perhaps Villanova isn't as good as the past few seasons. Butler and Providence are rebuilding, at least to some degree. Seton Hall might be the one team that could make noise. Villanova in particular, I don't think has a very difficult non-conference schedule (I believe Gonzaga and at UConn are the only noteworthy games). Xavier could definitely win a national championship this season. Wichita, I almost forgot, moved to the AAC and hence probably won't be a realistic choice to run the tables. Although I really don't think the AAC is all that much of an upgrade from the Missouri Valley.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:15 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
So many teams rely on the 3-ball these days and the college arc isn't that far out that it adds a lot of volatility to games.

Heck, I watched Rex Chapman hand Jordan and the Bulls one of their 10 losses one season with 9-10 shooting from 3-point range.

A 20 point swing is just one team shooting a little hot and the other a little cold.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:51 AM

Duke looked to be on the ropes for much of yesterday's game against Portland! Like mentioned, probably the title favorite, but there are better choices as to who at least can run the tables until the NCAA Tournament. If there was to be one, Xavier would be my pick. Most disappointing team early on would have to be Arizona. But obviously we're just getting started.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Well obviously I jinxed that one in a hurry! Down goes Xavier. 2nd chance: Villanova?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball