Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 11:31 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Regular season is kinda boring but I like the playoffs. Commericials and halftime are just time to get food, check phone, do stuff around the house, use the bathroom, etc. If I want to see a game I’m ok with it taking 2 hours from beginning to end. Can’t force teams to not have timeouts and you can’t really take away the halftime break for them to regroup and correct strategy. I won’t spend the same time watching regular season though because each individual game doesn’t mean much overall...those could be an hour and I might watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 11:43 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
I enjoy it. I LOVE going to the games, but I am content watching from home. I can easily entertain myself during breaks and at half-time. I watch a lot with my boyfriend so we just chit-chat to fill the time, or I do some chores, work on school work, etc. If it's a good game, or the team I follow, it's worth it to me.

If it's a boring game or teams I don't care much about, I won't stay up to watch or waste my time.

I do closely follow the playoffs, though. I was up late all week to watch and even recorded tonights game since I wasn't home.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:49 AM

939 posts, read 505,962 times
I don't know at what point the NBA became an 3-point shooting contest. One of the greatest teams in NBA history, the 1983 Philadelphia 76ers attempted TWO three-point shots in a four game sweep of the Lakers. And made neither btw. The standing around and dribbling at the top of the key on most possessions doesn't interest me ither. When they do pass, I still see little effort by defenses to rotate on obvious telegraphed cross court passes, where ultimately the jump shooter is still somehow open to shoot. At least in the regular season- and not that I blame them given the pointlessness of the regular season. And the close games turn out to be the most painful to watch with the endless timeouts, referees conversing, team delay tactics, and the overzealousness of the higher powers to allow replay at every turn. Unfortunately too, these drawn out endings are problematic in today's NCAA game as well. I tried tuning in randomly just to see how some former collegians I knew of well were making out in the pro ranks. But at the same time I can't get into it.

I don't have cable as of last year either, which limits the availability of what I watch anyways. The commercials are problematic and sports programming is just a microcosm of the larger issue and the dinosaur that will soon be the cable providers. Even attempting to view local news/weather in the morning while making breakfast, a basic local package still resulted in an obscene number of commercials every few minutes- and infomercials and horrid programming at all other hours.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:29 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Both conference finals are going to a game seven. Everyone just assumed the Warriors would steamroll everything since October. If you don’t appreciate these playoffs, you never will.
Also calling the current era “hero ball” is a joke when the most successful teams of the recent era are the Spurs, Warriors and now Celtics, all known for their ball movement.
+1

I don't know what the OP considers "watchable", but having one team sweep everyone to get to the finals doesn't qualify unless you're a Dubs fan/viewer.

It's actually nice seeing last year's finalists having a real challenge this time around and that while anything can still happen, going to the finals isn't an automatic lock like it was last year. However, I suppose the NBA should seriously consider consolidation and only have two teams play "Finals" every year... .

Can't please them all.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:01 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Nobody likes watching sweaty tattooed millionaires run around and commit fouls?

The irony for me is these millionaires usually end up broke just a few years after retiring from the game.

After only 2 years of retirement, 78 percent of NFL players were either broke or struggling financially. Within 5 years of retirement, 60 percent of NBA players are broke

Old 05-27-2018, 03:52 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Nobody likes watching sweaty tattooed millionaires run around and commit fouls?

The irony for me is these millionaires usually end up broke just a few years after retiring from the game.

After only 2 years of retirement, 78 percent of NFL players were either broke or struggling financially. Within 5 years of retirement, 60 percent of NBA players are broke
Well, then hire them a financial planner. What does that have to do with the game itself?

Old 05-27-2018, 05:39 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, then hire them a financial planner. What does that have to do with the game itself?
The funny or should I say sad part about it, is you hear these stories that sometimes it was the financial planner that wasted/stole/embezzled the money and not really the athlete who wasted it all.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I was thinking about the proliferation of 3 point shooting, and ran some calculations. To maximize points per possession, teams should try to equalize the effective field goal pct between 2 and 3 point shooting. Mathguy can maybe explain how this works, but I'm about 40 years removed from freshman calculus. But anyway if a team has (say) an efg% of 55% in 3 point shooting, and an efg% of 45% in 2 point shooting, they can obviously increase their scoring by shooting more 3's. One caveat to this is a team's prowess at getting to the free throw line, since that is rare when shooting 3's.

So I calculated this for several teams from last year's numbers. Most teams seem to still have a higher efg% in three pt. shooting. So for those who don't like the proliferation of 3's, it seems likely to get worse unless the league comes up with a change, such as moving out the line a little further.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:06 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The funny or should I say sad part about it, is you hear these stories that sometimes it was the financial planner that wasted/stole/embezzled the money and not really the athlete who wasted it all.
Yes that indeed is the sad part about it.

The other sad thing is that investments made by players are usually made in good faith (real estate, small business), they just didn’t make money.

So these millionaires in the NBA and NFL, who dropped out of college, end up broke. The paychecks stop and their living large life isn’t sustainable.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I'm pretty sure the NBA will survive if you don't watch. There are millions upon millions that disagree with you.
At that time, guys like Stockton were rare to find. Now its more volleyball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball