Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 07:08 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times

Advertisements

Ill say right off the bat that I am not a big fan of basketball. Just never got into it. I can appreciate the athleticism of it and the accuracy of what is needed but just not a big fan of the sport itself.

As the title says, I just never got the big hype about slam dunks. I cant do it myself but then the ones who can are generally much taller and have spent years training to do them.

Today I was watching the top 10 plays from sports this week. 3 of them were from basketball. 1 was a half court buzzer beater, I can appreciate that one, it takes alot of accuracy to make those type of shots. Another one was a trick play where the guy throws it behind his back to another player, runs down the court and is thrown the ball by the second player and the 1st player makes a basket. Once again, I can appreciate it. Takes team work and practice. However, the number 1 play of the week was a slam dunk. Nothing special about it, just that the guy got ahead of the other team and slammed it into the basket.

So what is so special about slam dunks? They happen all the time. This wasnt special, he didnt run against half of the opposing team and out maneuver them, he just got ahead of the other team and slammed the ball into the basket.

I just dont get what is so special about slam dunks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 07:18 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
A slam dunk is like an exclamation point versus a period. When someone like Darryl Dawkins did a slam dunk and broke back boards it was pretty impressive, but slowed the game way down. The crowd always gets excited when a fast break ends in a slam dunk. OTOH a three pointer is impressive too, just in a different way, showing more skills.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
A slam dunk is like an exclamation point versus a period. When someone like Darryl Dawkins did a slam dunk and broke back boards it was pretty impressive, but slowed the game way down. The crowd always gets excited when a fast break ends in a slam dunk. OTOH a three pointer is impressive too, just in a different way, showing more skills.
And I can appreciate a slam dunk, I just dont get why its the number 1 play of the week.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:32 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post

Ill say right off the bat that I am not a big fan of basketball. Just never got into it.

Then you just won't get it, no matter how much explaining is done for you here. Have a nice day

Old 12-26-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Then you just won't get it, no matter how much explaining is done for you here. Have a nice day
So what do you think would set one slam dump apart of the other hundred that happen during the week not to mention all of the other plays in sports during that week?

Old 12-26-2021, 07:40 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
A lot of teams pack the paint because a dunk or close up shot's probably the easiest points in basketball. So a dunk is kind of a slap in the face to the opposing defense meaning they completely broke down on defense or just got bullied to the rim.

Also highlights are all about "poster dunks." Credit to those few defenders like Giannis, who don't care about getting shamed on a highlight reel & will still try to defend dunks even when the dunker has a step advantage or there's a low chance of blocking the dunk.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
A lot of teams pack the paint because a dunk or close up shot's probably the easiest points in basketball. So a dunk is kind of a slap in the face to the opposing defense meaning they completely broke down on defense or just got bullied to the rim.

Also highlights are all about "poster dunks." Credit to those few defenders like Giannis, who don't care about getting shamed on a highlight reel & will still try to defend dunks even when the dunker has a step advantage or there's a low chance of blocking the dunk.
Its interesting that you bring up about defending against dunks. Last week one of the top 10 was a player who defending against a dunk. To me those are even more impressive then the slam dunks themselves. It involves two players and one of them is just going to be better in that play.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:47 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
That's like asking what is so great about sex....some things just can't be explained.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That's like asking what is so great about sex....some things just can't be explained.
Have to agree to disagree.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:53 AM

1,655 posts, read 775,737 times
I guess you could say a good artistic or challenged slam can sometimes change the momentum or keep it in favor of a team that’s winning. It can also raise the energy by getting the crowd more involved or silence the crowd of the home team. I like Duke…so I think about what happens in Cameron Indoor when for example Duke starts the game with a few high energy slams — the crowd starts going crazy and I know the team is very likely to start running up a big lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball