Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 10:10 AM

3,858 posts, read 4,458,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I wouldn't trade Booker for Durant. Durant is great but 33 and with an Achilles tendon rupture injury under his belt. Booker is 25 and with more pieces around him he could go all the way.
I guess it depends on how badly Sarver wants a ring. Two scenarios:
1) Trade Booker for KD. You now have a roster with KD, CP3 even without Ayton. I think if they can find the complementary pieces, then that squad can compete for titles for the next 2-3 years, after which both are too old, and now say hello to the lottery starting in 2025.

2) Keep Booker. You have a good but not title contender especially if Ayton leaves. Booker is a star but I dont believe he's a genuine franchise super star. So Phoenix can look forward to winning 50 games a season and exiting in the second round for several years, although when CP3 retires or finally falls off that might drop down to winning 40-45 games a season. Zero chance of winning a ring, not when you have GSW and the Clips and all the other Western Conference teams.

Personally, I would trade Booker and get KD, better get the chips when you still can instead of just being a decent team for a long time. I've always said that it's testament to KD's greatness that he was still able to shine even though he's rarely played with a pass first point guard. We all saw how good he was playing in GSW where no one hogged the ball and was willing to step back and let him do his thing. It would be the same in Phoenix with CP3. I do also think that if they get KD, then they have to keep Ayton. You dont want KD playing center, but Sarver is just a cheapskate owner. Sad the way he has sabotaged the team with his cheapness going all the way back to the Nash era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 10:32 AM

30,258 posts, read 11,884,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Irving can be traded to the Lakers. Just because he opted in does not mean he will be back with the Nets. I just heard someone on ESPN SportsCenter say both Durant and Irving have played their last game with the Nets. I didn't get who said that as I was paying half attention. Sorry about that. I just have to laugh because when this latest "Big 3" got together, NBA analysists were saying multiple NBA championships were just a matter of time. That did not work out so well.

I am all for the Lakers getting Irving. If they could swing sending Westbrook there and the Nets him just to clear cap space and the Lakers send a 1st round pick. It could happen. It would be a good big 3 in LA.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post

Personally, I would trade Booker and get KD, better get the chips when you still can instead of just being a decent team for a long time. I've always said that it's testament to KD's greatness that he was still able to shine even though he's rarely played with a pass first point guard. We all saw how good he was playing in GSW where no one hogged the ball and was willing to step back and let him do his thing. It would be the same in Phoenix with CP3. I do also think that if they get KD, then they have to keep Ayton. You dont want KD playing center, but Sarver is just a cheapskate owner. Sad the way he has sabotaged the team with his cheapness going all the way back to the Nash era.

I would do it. As a Laker fan I hope they don't do it. I look at Booker sort of like Lillard. Great offensive player, average defender and not sure he makes the team better. CP3 is who pushed them into title contention. Look at their record the year before CP3. Lillard has not had a CP3 kind of partner.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:09 PM

So Brogdon got traded to Boston. Boston president Stevens said they needed better playmaking guards…if that’s not a slap in the face to Marcus Smart then I don’t know what is. I’m really not sure how you play both of them at the same time unless they are playing a small lineup. Yet they both make too much to play 20 minutes off the bench…wonder if Smart is getting traded.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:18 AM

4,675 posts, read 3,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I wouldn't trade Booker for Durant. Durant is great but 33 and with an Achilles tendon rupture injury under his belt. Booker is 25 and with more pieces around him he could go all the way.
I agree. Suns record was 64-18 last season with their current lineup. Year before they were 2 games away from a championship. Do they even need Durant? They'd have to strip their whole roster except for maybe a few players.

From Sports Illustrated - -

“Brooklyn’s asking price, rival executives familiar with the situation told Sports Illustrated, is steep: two All-Star caliber talents and a cache of draft picks,” Mannix wrote. “If a team doesn’t have that, one exec said, the response has been ‘well go out and get it.’”
https://www.si.com/nba/2022/07/02/so...n-durant-trade

What team even has 2 all-stars to give up, or is willing to give up 2 all-stars for Durant? And then KD would have to want to go to that team too, without 2 all-stars. I wouldn't be surprised if KD is playing for the Nets next season, or is sitting at home pouting for the first half of the season, refusing to play.

His best change to win is with the Nets next season with Kyrie. It takes time to build chemistry on a team & win a championship. Look at all the winners the last 5-10 years. Lakers with LeBron were about the only team to quickly form a team & win a championship his 2nd year there. Warriors, Raptors, Bucks all were/are teams that were together building chemistry for awhile before they won.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front line View Post
I liked the idea of Kyrie signing on with Lebron a few months back but now don't even care if they run it back with Westbrook. For all we know, Irving could be a even bigger flop fail of a big 3 than what we currently have.
As a Laker fan I would make that trade. We already know the current big 3 with Westbrook does not work. What is a bigger flop than missing the playoffs like last season? And Lebron and Kyrie have a history of playing well together so chemistry should not be a problem.

And the Lakers seemed to have learned their lesson and are adding younger defensive minded players instead of over the hill former stars. I say do it. And if Kyrie says he will play for the Lakers or retire, the Nets may not have a choice where he goes.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:51 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,109,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I agree. Suns record was 64-18 last season with their current lineup. Year before they were 2 games away from a championship. Do they even need Durant? They'd have to strip their whole roster except for maybe a few players.

“Brooklyn’s asking price, rival executives familiar with the situation told Sports Illustrated, is steep: two All-Star caliber talents and a cache of draft picks,” Mannix wrote. “If a team doesn’t have that, one exec said, the response has been ‘well go out and get it.’”

What team even has 2 all-stars to give up, or is willing to give up 2 all-stars for Durant? And then KD would have to want to go to that team too, without 2 all-stars. I wouldn't be surprised if KD is playing for the Nets next season, or is sitting at home pouting for the first half of the season, refusing to play.

His best change to win is with the Nets next season with Kyrie. It takes time to build chemistry on a team & win a championship. Look at all the winners the last 5-10 years. Lakers with LeBron were about the only team to quickly form a team & win a championship his 2nd year there. Warriors, Raptors, Bucks all were/are teams that were together building chemistry for awhile before they won.
You also have to remember Durant was out for this 1st year with the nets. 2nd year - they add Harden. 3rd year - Kyrie isn't playing due to the covid mandate in NYC, Harden gets frustrated and leaves and Durant is playing somewhat solo until Kyrie comes back.

CP3 is 37 and injury prone. He is a GREAT leader which is what the Nets were missing with the Kyrie and Durant duo and Kyrie, Harder Durant trio.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post

Two stars and draft picks are too much. Unless Irving is part of that trade. Or you throw everything in. Trade Booker, CP3 and Bridges for KD, Irving and Simmons. Not sure if the $ work or not, probably not. Both teams might come out ahead. The Nets have talent they can build around and the Suns become the favorite to win it all, or miss the playoffs entirely depending what mood Simmons and Kyrie are in.

As I have said many times I don't think the Suns were that good two years ago. Or really even last season. They had an easy playoff run two years back all against teams with a major star out. We see what happened this year against a healthy Mavs team. Even if they won that series the Warriors would have crushed them. Yes they were 2 games from a title but the factors that got them to that point are not going to repeat again. Especially against a likely much more healthy and stacked west.

But gutting the team for KD would be a dumb move. Brooklyn has to make this trade, the Suns do not. I think when it comes down to it, it might end up like Simmons last year. No team will give the Nets what they want so KD will sit half the year or the Nets will end up taking less.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:27 AM

And regarding super teams. The last three years you have 3 years each Lakers and Clippers and 2 years of the Nets. All that produced one title. That is 8 attempts of trying to win it all. Why only one title? Injuries. Not because they are super teams.

Non super teams. 82 combined seasons last 3 years. 2 titles. Even if you only count playoff teams. You have say 13 per season non super team. That is 39 seasons and 2 titles. So even with all the under-performing super teams you have a better chance at a championship with them than a regular team.

And you have to look at injuries. Easily would could have had the Clippers and Nets in the last two finals if both were healthy. And then the chatter would be you need to a super team to be able to win it all. I know a lot of ifs.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-02-2022 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 09:50 AM

I still say if I’m the Nets I wait till after next season before making this trade. Let’s see what they have when everyone is hopefully back playing next season including Simmons. KD has no leverage as his 4 year extension doesn’t even kick in till next year anyway. I still think that this roster can compete for a title. If it’s still a failure then fine trade everyone. Kyrie is done after next season anyway. I just think it’s lunacy the way everyone is quitting on the team when they haven’t had a healthy season yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball