Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

I saw a report from UK sports radio that Billy Gillespie is so verbally abusive towards his players that the top 4 players on the team have all threatened to leave the team if 2 DUI Billy isn't fired.

There is also a firestorm in Lexington over allegations that Jodie Meeks (the 3rd leading scorer nationally) told a Florida Gator's player that his coach had just told him "not to shoot".

Lexington Herald Leader columnist John Clay recently said "UK is the Roman Empire of college basketball - and right now Rome is burning"

Gillispie denies reining in Meeks at Florida | KentuckySports.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:05 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
Verbal abuse toward college students is foolishness. I like UK, though not a huge fan, but I want to see them return to better days (the entire SEC for that matter). If this means the coach goes, see ya. Especially if these allegations are true.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Their (UK) old coach just lead his new team into the tournament. They were less than a 10 win team when Tubby took over 2 years ago.

I realize Tubby didnt always bring the McDonalds all americans to UK and get them a final four every year (as per expectations)...but in the one and done environment now its tough unless your in a great environment like Southern California, Florida or Austin TX. Not sure how Calipari is doing it...Memphis is no garden spot.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I personally, would like to thank the UK athletic dept and the fans for giving Tubby Smith the boot.

He was the best hire the U of M has made in a long time and the Gophers are in the tourney.

Thank you, again, UK athletic dept and UK fans.
Your loss, is our gain !

Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Their (UK) old coach just lead his new team into the tournament. They were less than a 10 win team when Tubby took over 2 years ago.

I realize Tubby didnt always bring the McDonalds all americans to UK and get them a final four every year (as per expectations)...but in the one and done environment now its tough unless your in a great environment like Southern California, Florida or Austin TX. Not sure how Calipari is doing it...Memphis is no garden spot.
I totally agree, how they do a good coach like Tubby the way they did, they deserve some of the things they are getting now. I mean the guy did lead your program to a National Championship! I guess that doesn't mean all that much in our what have you done for me lately world as even Gary Williams was under fire this season less than 7 years since winning the championship @ Maryland, think he silenced them for the time being by making the tourney this year.

While not a Minnesota fan, I'm glad that Tubby has landed there b/c the Big 10 is better for it.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
I loved Tubby Smith at the University of Tulsa. He took them to two Sweet Sixteen's in a row. Too bad they couldn't keep him, but they are a small school.

Last edited by Synopsis; 03-20-2009 at 02:28 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 09:06 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I loved Tubby Smith at the University of Tulsa. He took them to two Sweet Sixteen's in a row. Too bad they couldn't keep him, but they are a small school.
They need to figure how to keep their football coach now. Look what he did in one year at Rice before coming back to Tulsa.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
I think there is a 6 million buy out if they fire him, so I would not count on it

Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
Bring Back Tubby

Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 PM

45 posts, read 213,907 times
Ok guys Tuby was not fired he quit. The only thing the AD wanted was for tubby to hire a new staff that could recuit better. He did win a NC but with a team that one a NC in 1996 and was in the NC game in 1997 so he came in in a great situation. The thing with tuby was he took a program that was at the top of the basketball world and brought them down the mediocrecy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball