Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:28 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

I watch on ESPN for Hubie Brown Games but can't stand Mark Jackson or the Halftime guys in the studio. TNT on the otherhan have a great studio cast and great announcers and love watching the games on that network.

If TNT can get rid of stuttering Charles Barkley it would be even better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 06:17 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I watch on ESPN for Hubie Brown Games but can't stand Mark Jackson or the Halftime guys in the studio. TNT on the otherhan have a great studio cast and great announcers and love watching the games on that network.

Definitely TNT, their announcers (w/the exception of Reggie Miller) are superb. Between Marv, Doug Collins & the Czar, you have 3 very quality announcers, and Kevin Harlan is decent too. Even in the studio, Ernie does a far better job than anyone on ESPN, Kenny & Charles are alright too. As you said, outside of Hubie on ESPN, they don't have a whole lot. Breen & Tirico are ok, don't mind them, but I'm not a big fan of Jackson or Balky Van Gundy - although I have to admit, I appreciate Balky's willingness to be candor and question a lot of decisions made by players, coaches & the league. But I get tired of hearing him whine about how players should not foul out of games or there should be 7 personal fouls for a foul out. If a guy plays smart on defense and is a good defender, won't be a problem - just b/c your brothers best player has issues w/foul problems at times, doesn't mean the whole league should be penalized!

Old 11-16-2009, 05:36 PM

369 posts, read 776,943 times
Kenny and Charles could commentate on anything... I love when they do the odd photoshop pictures and the embarrasing moments...(Kenny vs. Justin Timberlake)...great stuff. Charles is awesome because he doesn't think before he says anything and he always got an opinion.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM

22 posts, read 55,852 times
Quote:

Ha, I feel the exact same way. ESPN has funnier NBA commercials, though. But I pick TNT for the mix of play-by-play, commentary, and visual production.

You're right about the pre/half/post shows on ESPN. Stuart Scott is a bona-fide mo-ron. And even though I love Michael Wilbon on PTI, put him in a room with a current or former athlete, especially someone of Magic Johnson's caliber, and you will witness the most uncomfortable slurpfest display of man-on-man love anywhere on television.

Inside the NBA is the most overrated program in the history of television. Sure, it can be funny at times, if you find photoshop and a group of people laughing (despite not ever actually hearing or understanding the joke) humorous. But Barkley speaks like his mouth his constantly full of food (which it might be). He never actually watches the games. And he repeats the same "analysis" every single show.

I'm hoping his nex DUI, gambling controversy, or adulterous affair finally gets him canned but probably not. His desire to be a GM or the Gov. of Alabama always cracks me up.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:52 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:

I say "none of the above" and stick to my NBA League Pass and the local announcers. The national announcers really know nothing about the players beyond the stars, but the local guys will remember every little detail. Some suck (like Indiana and Minnesota's guys), but the majority are far superior to the National guys.

Add that to the fact that TNT and ESPN add an additional 20 minutes of commercials, I can personally say that I dread the nationally televised games on my Warriors schedule!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:59 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
ESPN SUCKS! their people have no idea what they are talking about, out side of a couple.

last night during hte spurs mavs game, the little red headed sideline girl said tony duncan was sitting out with a sprained ankle, one of the other guys said anthony mason jr just checked into the game, and then at one point, dirk made a shot and they said dirk broke the tie with that shot putting san antonio up by 2.

there are only 3 examples, and there where at least 3 more times i said to myself "how the hell do they not know this stuff?!?"

and am i the only one who is tired of hearing "momma there goes that man" i mean damn that is worse then "throw it down big man"!!!!!! JVG does crack me up though.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM

22 posts, read 55,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

and am i the only one who is tired of hearing "momma there goes that man" i mean damn that is worse then "throw it down big man"!!!!!! JVG does crack me up though.

No, but I am tired of Mark Jackson telling me to "give [whoever] credit."

Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Mark Jackson on ESPN-"That was a GROWN MAN MOVE"

Old 11-19-2009, 05:52 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
I actually miss Mark Jaskon being one of the announcer for the Nets. On a NJ Nets forum that I belong to, there is a thread dedicated to Marck Jackson, and his quotes and sayings. I swear, it is at least 30 pages long. "You shoot my dog, I'll shoot your cat!" XD

Back on topic, I prefer TNT, simply because I'm used to Kenny, Charles, and Ernie. But, I really don't care either way, I'm watching it for the game.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:22 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
TNT, their studio cast is hands down the best in sports IMO. I love BBall season even more cuz of them. I like the edition of C Dubb too. Barkley was one of my favorite players, so seeing him there is cool...plus he is so goofy and full of himself that he always makes an arse of himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball