Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Since he will have a total 6 which is more than Magic and Kareem on Top of having the most points as Laker player in team history.

Anyone agree?

Also he would need 3 more to be the greatest of all time over MJ which give him 7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 06:54 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
The problem as I see it, is that Kobe may win more titles as a more complimentary player and not as the "top dawg," so to speak. Does this put him ahead of any of the aforementioned? Maybe, but not over MJ who absolutely lead (you might say, carried) his Bulls to 6 titles? I don't think so, sorry.

Kobe could begin to prove me wrong by winning the title this year, but I think it's Cleveland's year.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
The problem as I see it, is that Kobe may win more titles as a more complimentary player and not as the "top dawg," so to speak. Does this put him ahead of any of the aforementioned? Maybe, but not over MJ who absolutely lead (you might say, carried) his Bulls to 6 titles? I don't think so, sorry.

Kobe could begin to prove me wrong by winning the title this year, but I think it's Cleveland's year.

Kobe played a key role in every title and you are telling me if he wins 7 he won't be better than MJ?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Kobe played a key role in every title and you are telling me if he wins 7 he won't be better than MJ?
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Kobe's absolutely been a legit leader on his teams that have won titles, but as his career boils down, I don't see that as a continued fact. I think that unless he wins a title in the next 2 years or so, that as his career progresses, he may win titles, but they would be in more of a complimentary fashion and I don't think you'd think of his 6 titles as being the same as Jordan's 6 titles. (Many already have - Jordan didn't have Shaq, etc).

So, no, he won't be considered as being better than MJ - even if he does get 7.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:24 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I think it's a tired, pointless argument that will never have a definitive answer, whether Kobe never wins another title or if he gets to 7 rings (which would be 3 more rings, not 2). Why can't people just enjoy what they see and not have these made for TV type debates of who is better than who across eras?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:37 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Robert Horry has 7 rings....just sayin'

Old 02-28-2010, 09:57 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
For whatever it is worth, I'm not sure Michael Jordan wins any NBA titles unless he has Scottie Pippen playing along side of him to help carry the bulk of the load; the Bulls never won anything until Pippen became a very good player. At the very least, Jordan doesn't win anywhere near 6 NBA titles.

One other thing to keep in mind - a guy named Bill Russell won 11 NBA titles in 13 seasons. The Celtics never won an NBA title before he joined the team, and it took them another 5 years to win their next title after he retired.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
For whatever it is worth, I'm not sure Michael Jordan wins any NBA titles unless he has Scottie Pippen playing along side of him to help carry the bulk of the load; the Bulls never won anything until Pippen became a very good player. At the very least, Jordan doesn't win anywhere near 6 NBA titles.

One other thing to keep in mind - a guy named Bill Russell won 11 NBA titles in 13 seasons. The Celtics never won an NBA title before he joined the team, and it took them another 5 years to win their next title after he retired.
Honestly lets not make this a Kobe vs. Jordan thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I guess Jordan should be expected to win them entirely on his own? Pippen was a terrific defensive player and had some offensive game, but is he a better sidekick than Kobe had in Shaq? Gasol? Not even close. Not that this is even debatable, but Kobe has had way more help. Let's see Kobe win with Luc Longley at center, eh?

Jordan didn't play in quite the offensive game that the NBA is as we know it now, either. I would have loved to see Kobe or Lebron's reactions to getting bullied in the post by the likes of Anthony Mason, Patrick Ewing, and Charles Oakley or Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer. These two guys, as great as they are, aren't privy to the nasty, no-nonsense defense that Jordan, Thomas, etc, dealt with.

Kobe and Lebron, while I love to see their offensive genius, they act like when someone puts a body on them that they just caught a whiff of the worst fart ever layed and they yell at the ref, and throw their arms in the air. That kind of nonsense would have been calls for a shoulder to the upper body the next time they came airborn into the post just 15 years ago.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Bill Russell played in a era where the compeitition level was not that great. What team i this era would wi 11 titles in 13 seasons?? None
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball