Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Baton Rouge and New Orleans be a metro one day?
Yes 5 20.00%
No 15 60.00%
Maybe 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Maybe a BR-Laf metro because it's a much shorter distance.
Not with the Atchafalaya Basin between the two. It will forever exist as a separator. Plus, neither city is growing toward the other anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,944 times
Quote:
Don't get upset. The murder rate won't be affected. Crime is just as bad in BR as it is in NO, plain and simple. And this far in the future, if the cities are prospering enough to grow into a DFW type metro, crime will improve.
I know New Orleans is rebounding and Baton Rouge is growing and that's why I was wondering about a possible metro. Are the cities in between growing and what are the commuter percentages between the 2 cities. I heard that if the percentage is more than 25% commuting to another city then it becomes part of the metro. San Antonio and Austin are close to the distance between New orleans and Baton Rouge and the towns in between are rapidly growing along I-35 especially San Marcos and New Braunfels. I know the distance between Lafayette and BR is about 50 miles. Is there any developable land between the 2 since like Jim already said the Atchafalaya basin would be a barrier?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I heard that if the percentage is more than 25% commuting to another city then it becomes part of the metro.
Is 25% the threshold for inclusion into a metro, or a CSA? I haven't been able to find that magic number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
Is there any developable land between the 2 since like Jim already said the Atchafalaya basin would be a barrier?
There's plenty of land on either side of the basin, but, for whatever reason, growth just hasn't occurred in those areas of any significance.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
Is 25% the threshold for inclusion into a metro, or a CSA? I haven't been able to find that magic number.

There's plenty of land on either side of the basin, but, for whatever reason, growth just hasn't occurred in those areas of any significance.
I'm not sure. I know I've heard that 25% is the minimum number of commuters from a city before it can be added to anothers metro.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
With the towns in between and both cities are growing so it's possible that the metros could join. And for Lafayette, BR isn't growing west and WBR isn't showing much growth as far as I know but there is plenty of available land on either side of the basin.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,395 times
There is some land available between Lafayette and Baton Rouge, but not enough if you ask me. And with and 18 mile wide abyss between each side of the Basin, I don't see it happening...not in our lifetime. All of the available land in WBR, Iberville, and southern Pointe Coupee would have to fill up before most people would elect to cross the Basin Bridge every day.

WBR parish is growing pretty well, but not in the direction of Lafayette. It's mostly growing south along La 1 in the direction of Plaquemine.

I think the New Orleans-Baton Rouge thing would happen first. Baton Rouge is growing southeast along I-10 and east along I-12 in the direction of the New Orleans Metro Area.

And if you take schools into consideration (areas with good schools grow fastest), the Baton Rouge-Lafayette corridor is seriously lacking. North Iberville high shut down, and even before that it showed dismal performance. Port Allen High School (WBR) and Livonia High School (PC) are marginal, and certainly cannot compete academically with schools in Ascension and Livingston Parishes.

Last edited by MetroBTR; 01-07-2011 at 01:24 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 05:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,187 times
Actually, mhounit, Baton Rouge does have one of the highest murder rates in the country, and certainly has just as much crime as New Orleans. I'm not bashing BR, just giving the facts. According to the FBI, last May, New Orleans was number one on the murder rate list with 52 people murdered per 100,000, while Baton Rouge was at number five with 34 murders per 100,000. I don't understand why there's people out there who think Baton Rouge is this Stepford gated community where nothing bad every happens.

FBI report ranks Baton Rouge murder rate in top 5 - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA | Here you go, if you don't believe me.

Also, I don't think the NO/BR metro area would ever exist because I see a trend of people moving back into the cities rather than farther and farther out of the cities. Just a thought.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM

595 posts, read 1,173,867 times
IMO YEA I know who cares.The murder rate in the two cities are both very bad and a comparison is not really fair but murder and crime is still just that and it is all relative to a situation in each indaviduall(sp)city.I do not have any facts are Stats.but it is terrable when a honest bystander gets shot but the way it looks to me is that the shootings are mostly in the drug areas and between one race give them more ammo & guns..I say that ea. person needs to protect themself,LA. has an open carry policy for guns .Buy a gun ,get educated about it .learn to shoot papper targets and get comfortable with the weapon and then strap it on Your side and I assure if You stay out of the ghettos and around the better people No one will mess with You.There are things to be aware off legally if You choose to open carry so study the law before going out and getting in trouble.I open carry every where I go but have to pay attention not to walk into the bank with it on.
I was in the Pastime lounge and restraunt last night with My pistol on and Sherriff Sid GEAUXTREAUX(SP) and wife came in to eat and walked right by Me and saw My weapon and had nothing to say about it .

Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Quote:
Funny because our murder rate is just as high. Everyday on WAFB theres a murder.
You better watch out or mhounit will be calling you one of those people who only talk negative about Baton Rouge!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remip89 View Post
Actually, mhounit, Baton Rouge does have one of the highest murder rates in the country, and certainly has just as much crime as New Orleans. I'm not bashing BR, just giving the facts. According to the FBI, last May, New Orleans was number one on the murder rate list with 52 people murdered per 100,000, while Baton Rouge was at number five with 34 murders per 100,000. I don't understand why there's people out there who think Baton Rouge is this Stepford gated community where nothing bad every happens.

FBI report ranks Baton Rouge murder rate in top 5 - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA | Here you go, if you don't believe me.
To start with , NOBODY here ever said that nothing bad ever happens in B.R. Feel free to quote me or anybody else for that matter .

Now , look at the raw data provided by the FBI . Put it in the PROPER PERSPECTIVE . 52 murders per 100k , versus 34 . Do the math and get the ACTUAL figures . There is a big difference at that point .
" One of the highest murder rates in the country " ? Why , because it's #5 ? What is the difference in #1 and #5 ? Hint , it ain't 4 .

I know you folks like to believe that N.O is utopia , but reality doesn't support your position . Crime is worse in N.O, there are more murders in N.O. Muddying the waters by dragging B.R. into the equation doesn't change ANYTHING . Keep your savages in N.O. and let B.R. deal with it's own problems .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge