Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,265 times

Advertisements

Well, which question should I ask first We(military fam) moving to Baton Rouge in May! Very surprised but mostly excited when we recieved the news. We have just a few worries...pls shed light on these concerns!!!

1. Where are the nice areas(preferably single fam homes..safe neighborhoods)..rental properties and also include areas to avoid

2. Where are the good schools or should we consider private schools hands-down!!!

3. Rumormill is that areas such as Denham Springs, Walker, Gonzales are very racist when it comes to african americans?? So its best to avoid those areas???

4. How is the economy? Jobs, Pay, etc preferably in the healthcare field

I hope im not asking too much!!!LOL Please help!!!

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM

794 posts, read 3,358,422 times
I'll help best I can. As far as safety is concerned, bad areas are Gardere, Scotlandville and various pockets near downtown like Myrtle Walk, Thomas Delpit, some areas north of Florida Blvd and near Airline north east of downtown. Watching the local news for a week can quickly give you an idea of where the violent crime centers are. Property crime is a lot more sporadic.
Some of the magnet schools have quality education. McKinley, Istrouma, BR High tend to have good reputations. There's always private, but it's generally expensive. I have no kids so I can't give real opinions but only base mine from cousins who are in school and friends who teach at some schools.
With the suburbs, you tend to get better quality schools but in the case of Livingston Parish you lose diversity and modernism. Not all, but many people who live in the northern and eastern suburbs moved there in the past to "get away from the city". Sure, it has it's walmarts and bass pro and plenty of shops and such, but the people aren't as open to change, and I find them all hypocritical because they love to proclaim how great their little neighborhood is but they ***** and whine when more people try to move in and how much traffic it creates.
The westbank is a lot slower. It's old and full of people who never wanted to move into the city. The area generally lacks in economics (and education) so the standard of living is relatively poor over there. But honestly, if I was buying a house and wanted to live outside of the city, I'd head to the westbank just because you can get more for your money and it's generally quicker and easier to get to downtown than from the eastern suburbs. And it helps that I have family on that side of the river anyway.
Depending on where you come from, you're definitely going to make less here. Statewide, quality of life is lower and the cost of living is a lot less, but in Baton Rouge it is fairly high. Do your research before settling on major expenses like a house. The need for healthcare professionals should be high but I don't know about the pay. I have one friend working in the field here, and one in L.A. Obviously the one in L.A. is making a killing, but the cost of living is so high out there. Looking at the quality of life of both people, I'd say they're right about the same.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,490,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKMOVING2BR View Post
Well, which question should I ask first We(military fam) moving to Baton Rouge in May! Very surprised but mostly excited when we recieved the news. We have just a few worries...pls shed light on these concerns!!!

1. Where are the nice areas(preferably single fam homes..safe neighborhoods)..rental properties and also include areas to avoid

2. Where are the good schools or should we consider private schools hands-down!!!

3. Rumormill is that areas such as Denham Springs, Walker, Gonzales are very racist when it comes to african americans?? So its best to avoid those areas???

4. How is the economy? Jobs, Pay, etc preferably in the healthcare field

I hope im not asking too much!!!LOL Please help!!!

thanks
My family and I love Baton Rouge. If you have kids, there are so many things here for them to do it really is awesome. I could name a few. Blue bayou Waterpark in the summer, Celebration Station Fun Place, all kids of BREC Sports activities, nice and clean playgrounds and parks, tons of movies places and lots of festivals all year round, especially in the spring.
AS far as schools, private private, private. Public schools are the wrost ans I would never send my child to any of them.

AS far as race. I think it goes both ways here. Some blacks hate the whites and make sure they know it and vice versa. But not any worse than Florida where I came from!
neighborhoods....I think Shenendoah, Green Trails, WilloCreek?, Woodridge and Rolling Meadows are really nice. Mid range to upper mid range as far as prices.
The food here is the best and the people are great and friendly! Welcome Home!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,490,118 times
Healthcare jobs?? TONS!!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Default Festivals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
tons of movies places and lots of festivals all year round, especially in the spring.
Speaking of, I wish I had kept up with the date because now I'm busy this weekend, but this weekend is Festival Internationale over in Lafayette. It's always a great music and craft festival to go to.

This is also the first weekend of Jazz Fest in NOLA.
And the revived Blues Festival returns this Saturday to downtown Baton Rouge.

On another note, Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church/School parish fair is this weekend. It's a nice safe setup that entertains the younger kids. It has gotten a little pricey over the years though, as I'm sure most of the fairs have gotten.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,265 times
Thanks for your info guys!!! We have found a nice home in EBR..Bluebonnet/Burbank! so I guess there are no good Elementary schools there? Any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKMOVING2BR View Post
Thanks for your info guys!!! We have found a nice home in EBR..Bluebonnet/Burbank! so I guess there are no good Elementary schools there? Any suggestions?
Public or Private? Cause I'm guessing from the location given that's the Wildwood Elementary district (EBR). I know nothing of that school. St. Jude Catholic is near that area, but I still can't help much. There are other private schools you can check into if you want. Perhaps someone with recent experience with the elementary school system can help more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge