Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 PM

220 posts, read 418,052 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Bend this summer. I have tried to research the different preschool or child care options and am not finding too many choices. Can anyone give us their opinion......or what they have experienced so far in terms of preschools or child care?

We have two options:
The first option will have me working full time while my wife works part time from home. In this scenario we would only need a five day a week half day program.
In the second option she will also be working more hours so we would need full time child care.

Are there any places that are really strong academically? Any idea of costs?

Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,283 times
I don't have preschool age children but am familiar with two schools on the west side of town in the Northwest Crossing area. The first is one I would send my kids to (if they weren't in their late thirties): the Language institute of Central Oregon. They do preschool language immersion programs in Spanish, German, French, Japanese and Chinese. Their rates vary depending on the language, frequency and length of day. For example, Spanish Mon-Fri from 9 to 3 is about $540 a month or 2 one-half days a week is $180/mo. French twice a week from 12:30 to 3:30 is $205 a month.

The other school is Aspen Academy within the Northwest Crossing neighborhood. They don't post their rates on-line - you'd need to call them. I have heard good things about them.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 PM

10 posts, read 65,470 times
Plenty of options. Your choice will depend on where in town you want the preschool to be (although nothing in Bend is that far away).

Our 4yo daughter attends "The Village" in the SW (off Brookswood). My wife researched and came up with a list of preschools we visited. We just liked the feel of the village and the teachers. It's not play based and they do some fun things that our little one enjoys (yoga, sign language, etc). If you like a Montessori setting there is a school that just moved into a space at the Old Mill. We visited their site before their move and liked them too.

I can also second the Language Institute. Little one attends the Mandarin program there and she enjoys it. I have also sat in on a couple classes and it really is 80%+ immersion (at least in Mandarin). She gets homework weekly and is picking up things at a good clip.

Lastly, our daughter attends a Friday "fun" mixed preschool and gymnastics 1/2 day every week. It's about an hour of gymnastics play and then a couple hours of play based preschool. There is a 5 day a week preschool available at this gym as well. The gym is in the NE part of town right off the parkway (Empire Exit). Central Oregon Gymnastics Academy (COGA). She took gymnastics classes before our move to Bend and she enjoyed it. She's also in soccer and ballet now so it would be a bit much to enroll her in a true gymnastics program.

So overall there are a ton of options. I give props to my wife for researching everything and getting our kid to the correct schools on the correct days. I'd be the dad showing up to the wrong place if it were up to me.

Cost wise, all 3 of the programs I mentioned are in the $100/week range (so ~$20-25 day for 1/2 days). I'm happy with all the programs and I feel like my kid is being challenged and entertained. She has met many new friends at each of these programs and my wife has also really connected with some of the other moms at the schools.

Last edited by weaseltraps; 01-23-2012 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Added info for gym program.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM

220 posts, read 418,052 times
Thanks a bunch. We just scheduled a summer trip through Oregon that will include one week in Bend. We will make sure to spend at least a half day checking out all of your recommendations :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaseltraps View Post
Plenty of options. Your choice will depend on where in town you want the preschool to be (although nothing in Bend is that far away).

Our 4yo daughter attends "The Village" in the SW (off Brookswood). My wife researched and came up with a list of preschools we visited. We just liked the feel of the village and the teachers. It's not play based and they do some fun things that our little one enjoys (yoga, sign language, etc). If you like a Montessori setting there is a school that just moved into a space at the Old Mill. We visited their site before their move and liked them too.

I can also second the Language Institute. Little one attends the Mandarin program there and she enjoys it. I have also sat in on a couple classes and it really is 80%+ immersion (at least in Mandarin). She gets homework weekly and is picking up things at a good clip.

Lastly, our daughter attends a Friday "fun" mixed preschool and gymnastics 1/2 day every week. It's about an hour of gymnastics play and then a couple hours of play based preschool. There is a 5 day a week preschool available at this gym as well. The gym is in the NE part of town right off the parkway (Empire Exit). Central Oregon Gymnastics Academy (COGA). She took gymnastics classes before our move to Bend and she enjoyed it. She's also in soccer and ballet now so it would be a bit much to enroll her in a true gymnastics program.

So overall there are a ton of options. I give props to my wife for researching everything and getting our kid to the correct schools on the correct days. I'd be the dad showing up to the wrong place if it were up to me.

Cost wise, all 3 of the programs I mentioned are in the $100/week range (so ~$20-25 day for 1/2 days). I'm happy with all the programs and I feel like my kid is being challenged and entertained. She has met many new friends at each of these programs and my wife has also really connected with some of the other moms at the schools.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,642 times
I would also check out "the cottage". It's on the NE side of Bend. I have also heard great things about "A Child's Garden". Have to agree with the COGA rec as well. My daughters loved it.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:08 PM

10 posts, read 65,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
Thanks a bunch. We just scheduled a summer trip through Oregon that will include one week in Bend. We will make sure to spend at least a half day checking out all of your recommendations :-)
Sure Eric, drop me a line via PM if you want more information about anything.

We thought for 5+ years before making the move to Bend. The last year we were coming up every couple of months to look for a house.

It's been great. I really feel like I can afford to give my kid (soon to be kids) more in terms of opportunities here than where we were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: