Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Depression from too much sun?: Cliff Mass Weather Blog: Depression from Too Much Sun? (Seattle based blog, btw)

*tongue-and-cheek*

I think I suffer from this. If it were as sunny ALL the time in Bend like our summers during our winter months I'd be even worse off.

For me, winter weather is suppose to vary to help keep life interesting.

It's just what I'm used to.....it's my culture
Well the special weather statement (quoted below) from weather underground for Bend region it appears a change is coming your way, clouds and moisture on the way and that should help change the fire threat

"A significant shift in weather is likely this weekend.
The long lived high pressure that has provided warm an dry
conditions over our area for the last couple of months will
depart. An approaching weather system currently over the Pacific
will aid in the break down of the high pressure on Friday... and
westerly flow will set in for the weekend. Significant moisture
will be transported across this area of westerly flow throughout
the weekend. As a result mountains are expected to receive
anywhere from a tenth of an inch of precipitation in the lighter
hit areas... to over a half an inch of precipitation in the heavier
hit areas... each day. Right now this pattern looks to continue at
least through the weekend... if not into early to mid next week as
well.

High temperatures will not be as warm as this week... but are not
expected to be cold either. Low temperatures should be fairly mild
due to significant cloud cover each night. Afternoon freezing
levels still look to be above 8000 feet msl through Monday evening.

By early next week the lower elevations may see breezy to windy
conditions... and by mid week a much colder blast of air with
significantly lowered freezing levels is possible. Right now
these conditions are still uncertain... but Worth mentioning... and
will continue to be monitored throughout the coming week and weekend."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
I really am enjoying this wonderful fall weather! Crisp mornings, followed by perfectly warm days and cool nights...it's my favorite season! I will admit, I really am hoping it stays this way through Thanksgiving. If it wasn't for the long winter/spring we get each year, I'd be ready for snow and rain. You may be ready for winter, Kapetrich, but I'll take a long, extended fall!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 AM

Distant observation question.

When you play the "Eye on Bend" webcam archive ( EyeonBend ) for October 21 the sky rolls through continuous cloud / sun periods and even a shower at one point. Interesting to see the cloud layers moving in different directions and to see the mountains hidden in clouds all day.

How would locals describe this? A cloudy day or partly sunny day? Just curious about perceptions from Bendites?.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Distant observation question.

When you play the "Eye on Bend" webcam archive ( EyeonBend ) for October 21 the sky rolls through continuous cloud / sun periods and even a shower at one point. Interesting to see the cloud layers moving in different directions and to see the mountains hidden in clouds all day.

How would locals describe this? A cloudy day or partly sunny day? Just curious about perceptions from Bendites?.
For me, a day like Sunday would be partly cloudy/partly sunny, however you want to word it. Or, as people in the Northwest say, sun breaks!

Of course, I didn't grow up here, or in the PNW, so my perception might be different than others.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:45 AM

Yesterday was another day, very similar to what you described of the 21st. There was quite a bit of sun, but it was also really, really cold! The wind was blowing, which wasn't helping. I was in a class all morning and was shocked to walk out at 1pm and find that I still needed a winter coat, hat and gloves. It was downright cold, even with the sun breaks throughout the day.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:26 AM

31 posts, read 77,902 times
I think of a sunny day as basically sunny all day with minimal clouds movement across the sky. I assume I would call many more days cloudy then sunny than a Bendite!! I moved here from literally the sunniest city in the entire country where it is 100% sunny from sunrise to sunset 90% of the time. It is crazy here compared to what I am used too!! One of the things I love about Bend though are the night skies and watching the clouds in the moonlight move across the sky so quickly!!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreakBoy View Post
I think of a sunny day as basically sunny all day with minimal clouds movement across the sky. I assume I would call many more days cloudy then sunny than a Bendite!! I moved here from literally the sunniest city in the entire country where it is 100% sunny from sunrise to sunset 90% of the time. It is crazy here compared to what I am used too!! One of the things I love about Bend though are the night skies and watching the clouds in the moonlight move across the sky so quickly!!
What you describe and where you are moving? would be too much sun for me.

I am often up at night so I too love watching the moon and clouds.

From observation and reading this thread seems most of the year clouds in Bend are on the move (except a few stretches in the winter) and changing sky and light conditions are normal and something I would enjoy there.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 AM

31 posts, read 77,902 times
Quote:
If I can get myself healthy here pretty quick, the plan is to move back to Yuma, AZ asap and ultimately reside full time in both Yuma and San Diego. Assuming you like the outdoors as you call your self Snownut, you will love Bend. It is an outdoor mecca that I will miss.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,586 times
Quote:

I am often up at night so I too love watching the moon and clouds.

From observation and reading this thread seems most of the year clouds in Bend are on the move (except a few stretches in the winter) and changing sky and light conditions are normal and something I would enjoy there.
I'm right there with you. Bend summers are almost too sunny for me. I thrive with the variety winter/Spring brings (although spring really could end by June ). I feel it is more true to life, but then again, neither of us grew up in a notoriously sunny region of the country.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I'm right there with you. Bend summers are almost too sunny for me. I thrive with the variety winter/Spring brings (although spring really could end by June ). I feel it is more true to life, but then again, neither of us grew up in a notoriously sunny region of the country.
Talk about clouds, today is the first time in 9 days it is mostly sunny here in northern VA. Of course we just had hurricane Sandy (very minimal damage or issues IMBY, just lots of rain, and kids schools closed for 2 days) It was heavy grey raw and mostly wet for 7 straight days, yesterday was forecast partly cloudy yet only brief glimpses of sun late in the day. One more nice sun day tomorrow then another possible storm Tuesday and Wednesday. One thing is for sure, storm or not it will be cloudy here again for much of this week. Do you remember the weather here kapetrich? Welcome to the mid atlantic where we will have well over 40" of rain this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend