Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 PM

74 posts, read 132,932 times

Advertisements

Gonna be traveling your beautiful state in our quest to see all 50 states and out flight home will be out of Bend. We will be there for a couple of days.

Looking for ideas on things to do. We will have a vehicle and are a professional couple mid 30's.

Love to: Hike, Raft, Drink Beer, Eat at hole in the wall Dives (big foodies)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! We will be heading toward Bend after leaving Eugene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 PM

Alrighty. Glad I asked!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 PM

480 posts, read 2,470,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour D View Post
Gonna be traveling your beautiful state in our quest to see all 50 states and out flight home will be out of Bend. We will be there for a couple of days.

Looking for ideas on things to do. We will have a vehicle and are a professional couple mid 30's.

Love to: Hike, Raft, Drink Beer, Eat at hole in the wall Dives (big foodies)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! We will be heading toward Bend after leaving Eugene.
Will you be here on te 4th which is in the middle of the week or on one or the other weekends before/after the 4th? There's plenty going on - go tot he Visit Bend site and look at the calendar. You can raft, fish, paddle board, bike, climb, take a culinary tour, a beer tour, take a Wanderlust tour of a cave, the list goes on...

Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,285,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour D View Post
Alrighty. Glad I asked!
FOOD- If you're a big foodies I wouldn't suggest many of the hole in the wall dives here. Most of them do not have good food even in the 'ohhh this is sooo bad and greesey it's good' Not that they have badddd food, they just have very standard run of the mill food. Nothing fun.

What I'd suggest is to check out some of our $8-$13 meals downtown and on Galviston and Newport that both travel west from downtown. You won't find a bad meal and most all the food is actually VERY good. Also, we have a handful of food carts that have really great food, too. (Do a quick search on food in Bend and ton of suggestions will come up - don't wanna overrun my favorite places any more than they already are)

HIKE- Anything off Cascade Lakes Highway in the mountains will be awesome. There are tons of named lakes. Also, the Deschutes River Trail is great...and I personally really like to run in Shevlin Park.

RAFT- Depends. If you want to go with a company do a search and handful will pop up. I've used Sunny Country Tours and they were top notch. Definitely the high end company though. We have the Upper/Lower Deschutes, Tumalo, The Metolius and a few others if you're looking to go on your own, but I'm not a big rafter so I'm not really much help. You can also just raft the Deschutes through town.....

BEER- GoodLife is our newest brewery (Fat Matts technically, but they're not in Bend, but Redmond). We're getting 3 more over the next few months to add to our, what, 9 others or so.

Personally I like Boneyard and Deschutes for their giant tap list inside their main pub downtown. The best brew food is 10 Barrel.

You can also take tours of a bunch of the breweries, but Deschutes is the biggest and most established so I'd go with them for a tour. There are beer tours offered by normal tour groups or you can rent a bicycle looking bar thang and travel around town to all the breweries....

Hope this helps!

---

On the 4th there is some sort of bike-to-a-park-in-bathing-suit event around town. I don't know anything about it, though. Either that or just a lot of people like biking around in their bathing suits on that day.....

Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 PM

10 posts, read 65,517 times
On the 4th you can no doubt watch Pilot Butte catch on fire during the fireworks :P

Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,706,387 times
Kapetrich summed it up pretty well. Bend has no shortage of fun things to do, especially when it comes to the outdoors and beer!

There are plenty of great rafting companies that do trips as short as 2 hours (we did one of these last fall with the in-laws) and as long as a few days. I would suggest finding one of the day trips along the Deschutes to really get a taste of Central Oregon. Here is the company we went with. It was great and our friend is a guide with them! http://www.suncountrytours.com/river...Day_Adventure/

I would definitely second Deschutes Brewery if you've never been. It's the flagship Bend brewery and worthy because of the fine tap selection and the menu. They also recently expanded and have remodeled the pub. It's really nice! 10 Barrel is also another great place, especially if the weather is nice and you want to sit outdoors. They have one of the best patios in Bend.

I don't know of any good hole in the wall places either. I would say that the food carts are your best bet for low budget, great food. My favorite is Spork off Galveston.

There's plenty of hiking trails right outside of town. If you like waterfalls, Tumalo Falls is nice. It's a bit crowded just to the namesake falls, but after that, it's a nice hike up to several other smaller falls. There's also the Deschutes River Trail, which is nice, but usually pretty crowded. Find a good guidebook, and pick a trail. You won't be disappointed!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 PM

Thanks guys!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM

14 posts, read 49,524 times
You won't have a problem finding activities that you like. Stop by the Bend Visitors center. There are plenty of good beers, rivers, lakes, trails, and fun to be had.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOregon View Post
You won't have a problem finding activities that you like. Stop by the Bend Visitors center. There are plenty of good beers, rivers, lakes, trails, and fun to be had.
We will plan to do that. thanks!

Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 AM

49 posts, read 143,806 times
We just visited Bend last week, I really liked the river walk. We went for lunch at a cafe called "Strictly organic" (great place btw, $6-$7 dollar organic sandwiches, can't beat that) and then walked to the Old Mill from there and down the river trail it was quite nice. We didn't realize that we could have kept on walking by the river pretty much into downtown. We loved the Deschutes brewery also. Another good restaurant downtown was Zydeco, but it was a nice one not a hole in the wall place. We also went to Platypus Pub had a great beer selection (and free samplers!) the food there was just ok but it was pretty cheap and huge portions, we felt it was appropriate pub food lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend