Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:42 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Sounds reasonable to me on the surface, but I am a believer in if you own the land you should be able to do what you want as long as it is on your land and doesn't interfere with the quality of life of a reasonable neighbor. What is reasonable is often negotiable.
Reasonable insofar as being reasonable all while complying with State law: Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development History of Oregon's Land Use Planning. "We" can debate what "we" find personally reasonable or not till we're blue in the face.

Last edited by kapetrich; 08-22-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 11:45 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Sounds reasonable to me on the surface, but I am a believer in if you own the land you should be able to do what you want as long as it is on your land and doesn't interfere with the quality of life of a reasonable neighbor. What is reasonable is often negotiable.
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
... ... (3) take the reasonable approach and methodically increase our density inside our current city limits all while slightly increasing our UGB.

The city is choosing the third approach. ... ...

I like the idea of the 3rd approach too.

Steve, I agree. The problem is defining "reasonable", as many of us have debated and bantered about in other threads that is the slippery slope where we often disagree and it is not "negotiable" for some people which leads to rich lawyers.

I do consider the large areas of "protected" land here in OR worth the loss of "some" personal property rights and freedoms. The different approach regarding land use and sprawl here protects the nature beauty and outdoor recreational areas. That was and is a big attraction for moving here.

Many place back east personal or business interests have ruined views and natural areas and created large sprawling areas of poorly planed development that create huge car dependent commutes to jobs and services. I lived in that world for too long! That can vary dramatically from county to county in VA as well.

The state has way more power here than local counties when it comes to land use than what I am familiar with. I think that creates a more cohesive flow when traveling from area to area here.

I love how quickly you can get to "alone" and undeveloped areas here. (Steve that is how some of us can stand living on small lots or townhouses, and economics dictate that people live where they can afford)

Old 08-22-2014, 12:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
... ... (Steve that is how some of us can stand living on small lots or townhouses, and economics dictate that people live where they can afford)
Well I cheat a little in that area as there is not now, nor is there ever likely to be, anything from the back of my 1/2 acre to Kings Valley Highway a mile to the west.

Also I only paid $56,000 for mine so economics did not come into play. Of course I dropped another $45,000 making it a home.

I still have issues with telling someone what they can or can not do with something they own. I am not a fan of UGB, Emanate Domain, or HOA's.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
Let's please remember to keep this thread on topic. I'm fine discussing the bus system as public transportation, as it does pertain to to the UGB expansion, but don't let the conversation completely derail into the problems with public transportation in Bend. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,422 times
I fail to see how the latest proposal will address affordable rents. And I have my doubts that new cottage sized homes close to town would sell for an affordable price. Probably end up being some of the most expensive in terms of cost per sq/ft.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,365 times
I watched Denver spread like an oil spill for 40 years. Gov. Dick Lamm would not approve C470 to the south because "if you build it, they will come." Developers started creating Highlands Ranch anyway and the state, with a different governor, had to build C470 then to accommodate the 93,000 residents that eventually filled the area. The highway was at capacity the day it opened, not within ten years as predicted. They built houses on bentonite, they built on the land fill, they built on the airport and will reach Castle Rock if they keep it up. Water is a huge issue, of course.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:06 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,422 times
What was the economic base that drove the growth in the Denver area?

Old 08-23-2014, 01:16 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Just what does the city of Bend intend to do for sewer service for all these thousands of new little cottages and mother-in-law units? They are already claiming that the sewer system is at full capacity.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:45 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,365 times
Denver had a brief period of exodus in the 80s when oil shale went bust, but other than that it has experienced tremendous growth ever since the 60s. At one time (no longer) it was the cable TV capital of the world - you can hit both east and west coast satellites from that location. West Slope oil and gas has increased since the 80s. Lot of tech companies, corporate headquarters, etc. It helps having an interstate run through it and an international airport. I was in TV and Denver went from the 33rd market to the 19th while I was there.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:44 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
Please remember to keep to the original topic, which is the UGB of Bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend