Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:11 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
Here's a source and it contradicts your state,met about A-B...Top 10 Selling Beers in America

Bud Light is the #1 selling beer in America, followed by Budweiser....I guess ALOT of people are choosing to spend their hard earned money on beer with a poor reputation and beers that are poorly rated.

Disclaimer: I don't drink beer at all but I actually wish I liked it because some of the craft beers sound like they would taste pretty darn good.
McDonald's and the like sell huge amounts of "food" .. Starbucks probably sells more coffee than anyone else.. just because products are well marketed and sell the most has little to do with quality... market share rarely = high quality... it is usually the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 09:29 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Very strong feelings about the sale around town. How many of you will continue to visit Ten Barrel?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:01 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Very strong feelings about the sale around town. How many of you will continue to visit Ten Barrel?
Everyone can already guess, but I will no longer spend money at their brewery or on their brews.

Honestly, I don't go there much anymore. It was over crowded when I first moved here, but their food justified a Tuesday/Wednesday try (and if not I'd go to Brother Johns ), but now-a-days it's all but too crowded for me considering all the other restaurants and breweries in town.

...Least, it WAS too crowded. Since this announcement every time I drive by it's much more sparse than it use to be. We'll see how that pans out.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:31 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I'm not actually sure who you are addressing, or what statement you are referring to, but AB makes Budweiser and Bud Light. I don't think anyone ever stated that those companies weren't producing the top selling beers in the country. Only that they have a bad reputation amongst the craft beer world.
It seems they would have the bad rap in the Craft beer world because they don't really produce a craft beer (yet) Do you think this is the reason behind the purchase? That they want to tap into the up and coming market?

But if it is truly the quality of the product that you seek, Why would ownership matter?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:44 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
It seems they would have the bad rap in the Craft beer world because they don't really produce a craft beer (yet) Do you think this is the reason behind the purchase? That they want to tap into the up and coming market?

But if it is truly the quality of the product that you seek, Why would ownership matter?
Actually, that's not the case at all. They actually do own quite a few of what they claim are craft breweries. They acquired them in the same way as 10 Barrel. 9 Craft Beers You Didn’t Know Weren’t Craft Beers | Cool Material

Ownership does matter, because ultimately it can and often does affect the quality. They will likely begin mass producing these beers, which negates the distinction of craft beer (produced in small batches). When they start mass producing, the cost of the item goes down, but so does the quality. Cheaper fillers are often used and the taste changes. From this article: Can Big Beer Break Into Craft Brew? (BUD, TAP)

Quote:
There's a test case for this notion in ABI's purchase of the popular Chicago-based Goose Island Brewery. When the deal was announced in 2011, it was met with backlash from beer critics, ranging from the sadly resigned to the vitriolic. Other Chicagoland craft breweries responded by affirming their dedication to independence, and some Goose Island employees, including Goose Island brewmaster Greg Hall, son of founder John Hall, took the opportunity to leave the company.

Two years later, founder John Hall has left and been replaced as president and CEO of Goose Island by Andrew Goeler, a 33-year veteran of Anheuser-Busch who has overseen the Budweiser and Bud Lite brands, with no experience in craft brewing. Distribution of Goose Island has soared nationwide as production of some of Goose Island's most popular brews have been outsourced to industrial Anheuser-Busch breweries in Fort Collins, Colo., Baldwinsville, N.Y., and Portsmouth, N.H. Conference calls between production facilities focus on getting the flavor of the beers brewed outside Chicago to more closely resemble that of the original. Only time will tell whether craft drinkers will eventually be turned off by inconsistency in flavor, lower-quality ingredient substitutions, or simply the brand association with a major brewer, but the big guys don't yet have the credibility with craft brewers and drinkers to avoid disappointment when they acquire a well-loved craft brewery.
I also think ownership matters because the to most people, craft beer by the very definition is small batch, locally grown companies. Not big batch, multinational corporations.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:01 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
Looking from the outside of this all, it would seem to me that there are three distinct types of beer drinkers,
One, the big names, Usually always drink the same, and don't really care for craft beers.

Two, the craft beer drinker, rarely if ever has a Bud Light.

And three, the ones that will drink either one given the circumstance. It seems these are the only ones that AB would have a chance of expanding to. I have noticed Sam Adams is also trying to get this market, directing them to their current brews.

Kind of like the Coffee industry now that I think of it.........

Old 01-25-2015, 10:36 PM

10 Barrel partners: no apologies for sale; Anheuser-Busch investing $10 million at Bend brewery

Quote:
"As far as apologizing, I don’t want this to come out the wrong way, but we promised we’d be really honest, upfront and transparent,” Wales said, responding to a question about backlash from the sale. “We feel 100 percent that we have absolutely nothing to apologize for, and never would we apologize for the sale.”

Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 AM

Good response!

Budweiser Super Bowl ad leaves aftertaste

Quote:
A Super Bowl ad for Budweiser that poked fun at craft beer left a hangover Monday morning...

“Let them sip their pumpkin peach ale,” the ad copy reads, “we’ll be brewing us some golden suds.”
Quote:
10 Barrel Brewing Co. — founded in Bend and bought last year by Budweiser owner Anheuser-Busch — posted an apparent comeback with a hint of tongue in cheek Monday on its Facebook page: “Alright ... we slept on it all night and the decision has been made. Our next small batch beer is DEFINITELY going to be a Pumpkin Peach Ale!”

Old 02-04-2015, 01:03 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Buys craft breweries. Makes superbowl ad poking fun of the craft brew demographic. :smashedface:

It's a huge company. I get it. Budweiser is practically it's own company, but it's still funny to me.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:36 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
The people who are offended by this humorous Budweiser beer ad are people who take themselves too seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c

Lighten up!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend