Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 25,000 times

Advertisements

We have done the computer research, now we will be coming to check out Bend and the surrounding areas. Here is what we are looking for:
sunshine, mountains, good schools, safe area, outdoor activities, nice people.
So, the questions are, what areas are the best schools in?
Is this a safe town? Any "less desireable" areas?
We are involved in a tight aviation community where we live, all the pilots know each other, like a big family, are any of the airports there like that? Also, what does hangar rent usually run? How is the flying (for a single engine aircraft)?
What are the people like? We are not extremists - most of our views and opinions lie somewhere middle of the road. We are not extreme liberals, nor are we extreme conservatives. Currently, we live in a place where it is practically illegal to be anything but an extremist liberal, and quite frankly, that gets really annoying.
We are intelligent, educated, and have varied interests, including; flying, hiking, horses, animals, outdoor activities, eating out at good restaurants without having to mortgage the house to do so, getting together with friends to have great meals and interesting discussions, and being involved in our children's school. Will we find people with similar interests there?
I know these questions may seem silly, but we have just spent 3 1/2 years in a place that is dreary a LOT of the time (near Seattle - we miss the sun!), and where we have found it hard to relate to a lot of the super liberal people. So, finding some of this out before hand would be great!
Thank you for your replies, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,483,441 times
Everything you want is there. All the scools are pretty good as well.

Go forth and conquer!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:18 PM

279 posts, read 1,081,083 times
Hi Flyer - are you a professional pilot or a recreational pilot? My husband is a professional pilot (he works out of the country), and we are planning to move to Bend this spring/summer. If you are in search of piloting work, I have seen job postings (rotor wing) in Bend with a company called Leading Edge Aviation, Inc. Good luck with your decision.

Nina

Old 01-17-2009, 03:34 PM

5,396 posts, read 8,076,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Everything you want is there. All the scools are pretty good as well.
Of course, you can always do this:

(Warning: I know it was a typo, this is only a joke, not a criticism.)

Last edited by karlsch; 01-17-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,483,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Of course, you can always do this:

(Warning: I know it was a typo, this is only a joke, not a criticism.)

I plead guilty. As if being unbable to type isn't bad enough, this new laptop (my first) has a tiny keyboard and in my old age my speling skills get worse and worse.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:24 AM

73 posts, read 171,993 times
Hey Flyer,
We live in an area north of Seattle too that we find too dreary, and my husband is also a professional pilot, AND we're looking at Bend as a potential relocation area! Just wanted to say "HI;" I tried to send a private message but don't know how on this board.

We were in Bend for Christmas and really liked it. It is the same size as the city we live in now but has much more to offer, plus the mountain is closer!

If you can figure out how to private message, drop us a note, k?

Cheers!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:30 AM

14 posts, read 49,164 times
I think you'll find Bend to be the right place for your needs. I know the Sunriver airport is very "close knit", but I'm not sure about the Bend airport. It is small, so I imagine everyone knows eachother. I know there is a group that fly gliders frequently. It's fun to be around when they're flying over.

I'd suggest coming to Bend and looking around at all the different areas. Each area is pretty unique. The NW and SW parts of town are covered with big Ponderosa Pines, while the areas on the East side have Juniper trees and sage brush.

You're kids won't be bored in Bend. There are tons of activities going on all of the time.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:23 PM

480 posts, read 2,458,467 times
So, the questions are, what areas are the best schools in?
Is this a safe town? Any "less desireable" areas?

Yes, there are more desirable areas than others. There is an area in SE Bend around Wilson that I'd stay clear of when house hunting. Bend has good schools all over town.

We are involved in a tight aviation community where we live, all the pilots know each other, like a big family, are any of the airports there like that? Also, what does hangar rent usually run? How is the flying (for a single engine aircraft)?

Bend has a municipal airport east of town, but there is also a small, private runway south of Bear Creek, east of 15th and north of Reed Market Rd on the east side of town (streets are called Cessna, Air Park, Piper, Soft Tail, Wind Rider (you get the idea). I only know that there are people who have lived in the area for years who have rights to use this runway and I don't know if there is a hangar there.

What are the people like? We are not extremists - most of our views and opinions lie somewhere middle of the road. We are not extreme liberals, nor are we extreme conservatives. Currently, we live in a place where it is practically illegal to be anything but an extremist liberal, and quite frankly, that gets really annoying.

I'd say you'd fit in well here - we're mostly moderate thinkers

We are intelligent, educated, and have varied interests, including; flying, hiking, horses, animals, outdoor activities, eating out at good restaurants without having to mortgage the house to do so, getting together with friends to have great meals and interesting discussions, and being involved in our children's school. Will we find people with similar interests there?

Oh, absolutely. We have a very involved community

Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 PM

12 posts, read 44,523 times
Is Bend and surrounding cities(Sisters, Redmond) dog-friendly?
dog parks?
off leash / on leash rules?
barking oridences?

once again looking to move to the Bend area.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 PM

480 posts, read 2,458,467 times
Bend is very dog friendly. The Parks & Rec dept. recently identified several parks around Bend that are, or soon will be, designated off-leash areas. Shevlin Park, which is 640 acres, permits dogs on-leash (to protect wildlife) and it is really popular with dog owners. We have a lot of national forest close by that has varying regulations. Outdoor City events (like fairs and Oktoberfest) do not allow dogs, even on leash, because of several prior problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend