U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-18-2010, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
239 posts, read 340,548 times
Reputation: 134
Default Kailua-Kona (The Big Island) and which other Island?

I have a job offer in Kona which I am considering for 1.5 years from now and I've never been to Hawaii so I'm thinking of a vacation in February to look around. The main stop will be Kona for 5-6 nights. Any recommendations as to which other Island to visit for 3-4 nights?

Flights seem cheapest to/from Honolulu, but is it much different from other US big cities or is it a unique experience culturally?

I will be renting a car on The Big Island to travel around and could do so on the other Island I end up choosing. I assume it is fairly cheap/easy to book a flight between islands -- from what I found in a brief search it looks like $150 return is pretty standard?

Also, hotel recommendations in Kona? I am looking for something with a kitchenette that has a good beach location/nice ocean view without spending toooo much -- thinking that this looks ok:

Royal Kona Resort (Kailua-Kona, HI) - Resort Reviews - TripAdvisor

Outdoor activities/hikes not to miss on The Big Island?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2010, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
2,637 posts, read 5,812,675 times
Reputation: 2198
February is during the height of high season however if you are just one person you could probably get an ocean front 1 BR or studio in Kona for $800 to $1000/week. Most are condos with a full kitchen. The Royal Kona Resort has kitchenettes? I didn't know that! The King Kamehameha has microwaves, fridge and coffee pots and the recent renovations are absolutely beautiful. Call now and get your accommodations because for instance, our vacation rentals that we manage are all solidly booked till the end of March with only a few days here and there available.

Is your future job in the Kona area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 09:53 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,290 posts, read 4,794,217 times
Reputation: 8956
Wow. Are you lucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Na'alehu Hawaii/Buena Vista Colorado
2,737 posts, read 4,427,401 times
Reputation: 1969
As far as activities not to miss -- the volcano! You should plan to spend a day exploring the Volcano National Park and driving down to the current ocean entry in Kalapana. Hard to say what lava will be flowing in February, but the whole area is so very special and you won't see anything like it on any of the other islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Moku Nui, Hawaii
5,680 posts, read 9,098,642 times
Reputation: 2831
How about the Kona district for the first half of your vacation and the Hilo side for the rest? It would save spending a lot of time driving from one side of the island to the other.

Generally, when living in the state of Hawaii and on an island that isn't Oahu, your primary islands that you will be on will be your usual island with side trips to Oahu. The major airline hub in the state is on Oahu as well as the major medical facilities and the major supply centers so perhaps visiting Oahu would be helpful if you are planning on living in the state. Being on vacation in Hawaii isn't a thing like living here, though, but at least you'll have an idea of what the terrain looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 12:25 PM
 
683 posts, read 1,718,715 times
Reputation: 488
Honolulu is pretty different from other major American cities, and anyway a trip to Oahu doesn't mean just seeing Honolulu... our island has a lot more to offer. I'm a big fan of Oahu.

But the BI is big enough & diverse enough that I'd suggest staying there the whole time rather than island hopping. (As someone suggested, stay part of the time on each side of the island.) Some things to do on BI:

volcano, definitely.... walk through a lava tube
snorkel at kealakekua bay
swim with dolphins (and in Feb you'll also see whales) Swim with dolphins, whale watching - Kailua-Kona Hawaii
if you can afford it, take a helicopter ride to see the lava flow
go to Waipio valley, at least the overlook... even better, hire someone to take you down into the valley.
go to the observatory on Mauna Kea... see if there are any fun events happening while you're in town (Welcome to MKVIS - Mauna Kea Visitor Information Station)
I love coffee, so I had a lot of fun touring one of the big coffee farms and learning about the industry there.

If you're really set on another island, I can post again with stuff to do on Oahu...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
239 posts, read 340,548 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
February is during the height of high season however if you are just one person you could probably get an ocean front 1 BR or studio in Kona for $800 to $1000/week. Most are condos with a full kitchen. The Royal Kona Resort has kitchenettes? I didn't know that! The King Kamehameha has microwaves, fridge and coffee pots and the recent renovations are absolutely beautiful. Call now and get your accommodations because for instance, our vacation rentals that we manage are all solidly booked till the end of March with only a few days here and there available.

Is your future job in the Kona area?
No, probably doesn't have kitchenettes...any links to condo rental places? It is myself and my girlfriend and we would like a 1bdrm on the beach/ocean view.

My job would be in the Kona area...I also have had a job offer in Honolulu, but from what I've read it seems that The Big Island would be more to our liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
239 posts, read 340,548 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
How about the Kona district for the first half of your vacation and the Hilo side for the rest? It would save spending a lot of time driving from one side of the island to the other.


Being on vacation in Hawaii isn't a thing like living here, though, but at least you'll have an idea of what the terrain looks like.
Is the Hilo side worth seeing for 1/2 of our vacation? I have heard the Kona side is much nicer in terms of weather and proximity of things to do.


I hear this often in the forums, Obviously, I won't be living in a resort and be fanned by banana leaves if I live in HI. However, is it really that difficult to envision what life would be like there after visiting? I am quite well traveled and have lived in various areas of the US and Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
239 posts, read 340,548 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
Honolulu is pretty different from other major American cities, and anyway a trip to Oahu doesn't mean just seeing Honolulu... our island has a lot more to offer. I'm a big fan of Oahu.

But the BI is big enough & diverse enough that I'd suggest staying there the whole time rather than island hopping. (As someone suggested, stay part of the time on each side of the island.) Some things to do on BI:

volcano, definitely.... walk through a lava tube
snorkel at kealakekua bay
swim with dolphins (and in Feb you'll also see whales) Swim with dolphins, whale watching - Kailua-Kona Hawaii
if you can afford it, take a helicopter ride to see the lava flow
go to Waipio valley, at least the overlook... even better, hire someone to take you down into the valley.
go to the observatory on Mauna Kea... see if there are any fun events happening while you're in town (Welcome to MKVIS - Mauna Kea Visitor Information Station)
I love coffee, so I had a lot of fun touring one of the big coffee farms and learning about the industry there.

If you're really set on another island, I can post again with stuff to do on Oahu...
Thanks for all the info. It sounds like it would be best to stay on the BI if I can get a reasonable flight in/out without landing in Oahu. Looks like there are some decent prices right now on the major travel sites.

As far as places to stay, it's reallly difficult to tell what's decent and what isn't. Any suggestions? We are looking to spend $1000-$1200 for 7-8 nights on the island. Requirements are beachfront/oceanview with a nice beach and snorkeling nearby. Clean/decent/quiet place ideally with kitchenette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top