Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM

37 posts, read 88,034 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband accepted a job in Hilo, Hawaii. We will be living in a fully finished apt and will only need to bring personal items. This includes a laptop, gaming systems, etc etc. So we were wondering if anyone has had that experience. We do not want to pay $$$$$ in checking our bags instead of shipping them in rubbermaid totes. Also would appreciate an info for the Big Island/ Hilo area. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
The first decisssion is if you want to ship via air luggage/cargo or via post office or ups type services. Using USPS flat rate boxes has been mentioned as the best deal. The cost to ship items on the airline depends on many things such as if going as checked luggage, or as cargo, along with which airline your using and if you have any perks with them. It also depends on what airport. Leaving from Portland cost more per lb than leaving from LA.

As for info on the Big Island and Hilo, The Big island has yellow painted strips ont he center of the roads. There are telephone poles, it has rocks. there is also sand along some shores. Some stores are close, other further. Hilo has no parking along the airport service road. there's some hotels. streets can get crowded at times. Watch for left turners. Hope this is helpful.

Seriously, there is a huge amount of info on the BI and Hilo so what info are you seeking? Housing, traffic, shopping, good locations, resturants ???????

Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforever04 View Post
Hello! My husband accepted a job in Hilo, Hawaii. We will be living in a fully finished apt and will only need to bring personal items. This includes a laptop, gaming systems, etc etc. So we were wondering if anyone has had that experience. We do not want to pay $$$$$ in checking our bags instead of shipping them in rubbermaid totes. Also would appreciate an info for the Big Island/ Hilo area. Thanks!!
Did he get it (the offer) in writing? Make sure!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:07 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Different airlines have different rates on checked luggage so you may want to compare the different airlines. I think Alaskan Air has some of the best checked luggage rates, but I'm just guessing.

As far as I know, the airlines make no differentiation between luggage in suitcases and luggage in Rubbermaid totes. A lot of local folks like to use coolers as "suitcases" since then you will have your cooler to use on vacation. The airlines just call each item "luggage" and let it go at that. For the more delicate things such as the laptop, you may want to carry that on instead of checking it. Although if it is wrapped with lots of clothing and packed in the middle of the Rubbermaid tote, it should be fine. You will also want to make sure the totes are fastened securely, perhaps with some extra strapping around them. Luggage gets tossed and thrown here and there and you wouldn't want them to open and spew their contents across the airport's luggage handling machinery.

What did you want to know about Hilo?

Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 AM

Sorry, made previous post on an iphone, = lack of details. Yes the job is for sure...We don't have any perks for the airlines. Basically our agent is going to make the arrangements. Too bad Southwest doesn't fly out...luggage would be easy.

After doing some research it looks like USPS or just checking baggage will have to be the way to go. It just depends on how much less of a girl I can become and how much I can roll and push into a suitcase. My husband is a very light packer. He must bring scrubs so he may be pushing to 2 suitcases, not sure. I'm going to take some time this week, go through a dry run, and pack clothes that I want to take. That way I can gauge how many suitcases I need/investing in the HUGE roller duffles (I actually survived a whole summer traveling with one in high-school...including toiletries and shoes..yay for drum corps It looks like if we went with American Airlines our luggage would cost ANYWAY...

About Hilo. We've been living in LA since this past November. My husband and I are very fit (i'm a personal fitness trainer) we don't eat fast food (prefer local eateries) I hate walmart (i know there is a safeway in town THANK GOODNESS) We r very active, we Hike, snorkel, swim, run, etc etc After looking into Hilo, I can tell that it's going to be a good place for us to live for 3-4 months. My question is...1. Are there tons of fast food chains or are there mom and pop places to eat, 2. Are there any dance studios? 3. How hard is it to get a part time job (with fitness/retail/restaurant experience) 4. How is the shopping? any major chains ( i believe I saw a Macy's) and any local stores? 5. How sensible would it be to purchase an electronic scooter?

THANKS

Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
If time is not a big issue, US Postal Service parcel post is the cheapest way. Just be aware that it could take take 6 weeks.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 AM

Yeah ..not sure that would be the best way...basically what we would be shipping are items we need (clothes/shoes ). So.. it's leaning towards either bringing them on the plane or shipping the 3-5 business day way.
Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Check AlaskaAir... as long as you conform to their dimensions you can ship any secure container up to 50 pounds as checked luggage, and the first three only cost $20 each. After that it goes to $50 each, still a good rate.

Besides which, if you book your ticket through their "Low Fare Calendar" your own ticket can be quite low... usually better than anyone else.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Try to bring only natural fabrics. Synthetics are nasty to wear when it's humid out and it's always humid in Hilo. The KTA grocery store is better than Safeway, IMHO, since they have fresher produce and better baked goods. They are less expensive, too. Safeway did build a big new store, but it's expensive and the produce isn't any fresher than it was before.

Hilo has a nice farmer's market, some interesting shops along bayfront and some interesting mom & pop eateries. There has also been an incursion of big box stores lately, but they all seem to be congregating over by Prince Kuhio Mall. Hilo isn't a "dress up" type of town. As long as your rubber boots are relatively clean, you can wear them to the grocery store and nobody cares.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Hilo has a nice farmer's market, some interesting shops along bayfront and some interesting mom & pop eateries. There has also been an incursion of big box stores lately, but they all seem to be congregating over by Prince Kuhio Mall.
In addition to the big farmers market on the bayfront, there's Kino'ole Farmers Market, a smaller one I like on Saturday mornings, 7am to noon, at 1990 Kinoole St. It's near the KTA and Safeway and Prince Kuhio shopping area, so I find it convenient and not as much of a zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: