Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 03:04 PM

137 posts, read 352,336 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I live here on O'ahu. Been here for almost 10 years. I work three jobs and my goal is buy as much acreage as I can get for under 100K on the Big Island. But hopefully, at least 10 acres. I want it to be the best land I can get. Not the cheapest, rather the best at the lowest price. Here's what I plan on doing with it.

I will make it totally self-sustaining. So, I will grow all my food there. (plants, herbs, food trees, etc.) I also plan on raising livestock. As far as I know so far, chickens, goats, pigs, sheep, cattle, dairy cows, bees, rabbits, two turkeys, geese, ducks, a few cats, and plenty of dogs. Also, I plan on having/making a lake(s) and 'raising' fishes. I will also keep some deer or wild animal on the land so that I'll be able to hunt them. I plan on constructing a brick wall around my entire acreage to specify the parameters of my land as well as keep my wild roaming animals in. I'll either do this by hand or have it done professionally. Probably by hand though since I saw a brick-making machine under $10K.

From my limited research so far, I don't want land that is rocky or is anywhere near the VOG. So far, I've seen this listing on a forum somewhere:
N Glenwood Road Volcano HI 96785 MLS 241004 Big Island of Hawaii Real Estate | Clark Realty Corporation (http://tinyurl.com/89hqrmj - broken link)

So, your thoughts and recommendations about this? I'm looking to purchase very soon and I do have $7K in the bank now to work with a bit. Mahalo!

Last edited by doitright1; 11-24-2011 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 03:15 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
There's a real recent thread titled: "Is affordable acreage even possible in Hawaii". Some good advise from people who are actually on the island and already farming, such as Hotzcatz. She has offered up lots of very good advise over the years on this forum.

I think you would do better in the area north of Hilo than in the Glenwood area, which always seems a bit gloomy to me.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:34 PM

181 posts, read 585,939 times
Just be aware that it is going to cost you thousands and thousands of dollars just to have the land cleared. That's around $20,000 for that 20 acre property you posted. You don't have to knock all the trees, but clearing the land so that you can establish a farm is going to take a lot of expensive work with heavy machinery.

Figure up to $1000 an acre if you want it done right. Beware of people who say they can do it cheaply.

The lot you posted is also pretty high at 2700'. This will limit the kinds of tropical fruit trees you can grow.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:35 PM

I saw that thread. Slightly different situation than mine though, hence why I created this separate thread.

About Glenwood, I'm not sure what you mean by "gloomy". I was reading this thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...l#post17964698

It was talking about Fern Forest vs Volcano. I believe that Glenwood is a part of Volcano, right? According to the above thread, Volcano seems to be a great spot to live in. The land is deep and rich not rocky and it doesn't get any VOG. That's why I'm not sure what you meant by "gloomy".

Old 11-24-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright1 View Post
I saw that thread. Slightly different situation than mine though, hence why I created this separate thread.

About Glenwood, I'm not sure what you mean by "gloomy". I was reading this thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...l#post17964698

It was talking about Fern Forest vs Volcano. I believe that Glenwood is a part of Volcano, right? According to the above thread, Volcano seems to be a great spot to live in. The land is deep and rich not rocky and it doesn't get any VOG. That's why I'm not sure what you meant by "gloomy".
Orographic lift occurs when an air mass is forced from a low elevation to a higher elevation as it moves over rising terrain. As the air mass gains altitude it quickly cools down adiabatically, which can raise the relative humidity to 100% and create clouds and, under the right conditions, precipitation.

The trade winds blow the moist ocean air up against the volcano resulting in cool, cloudy often rainy conditions. Your crops need the rain, but they also need sunlight. The higher you go up the volcano on the east side, the more clouds you are going to get.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagary View Post
Just be aware that it is going to cost you thousands and thousands of dollars just to have the land cleared. That's around $20,000 for that 20 acre property you posted. You don't have to knock all the trees, but clearing the land so that you can establish a farm is going to take a lot of expensive work with heavy machinery.
This is true but can't I sell the wood and make back some or all of the funds I spent on clearing the land? (It just takes a bulldozer to clear the land, right? I could purchase one and do it myself. Or borrow one, a military admiral my dad works with own one.)

Quote:
The lot you posted is also pretty high at 2700'. This will limit the kinds of tropical fruit trees you can grow.
There are other benefits to living that high above sea level, I think... Better for your health, I can't think of anything else now though...

Old 11-24-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The higher you go up the volcano on the east side, the more clouds you are going to get.
Ok, now I get the gloomy part. Ok, that area is out of the question then. I don't want an area that is always raining at inconvenient times with tons of mosquitoes. (meaning during the day) I live in Kalihi (not the valley) and we have great weather here all year round. It usually only rains at night while everyone is asleep which is great! I hope to find my huge acreage plot on the BI in weather like this.

I am searching the listings online right now as we speak. Any specific areas that I should be absolutely be looking for? And how much per acre is considered a great deal? I would assume all offers above this cost is overpriced and under this cost is risky.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
This is true but can't I sell the wood and make back some or all of the funds I spent on clearing the land? (It just takes a bulldozer to clear the land, right? I could purchase one and do it myself. Or borrow one, a military admiral my dad works with own one.)

There are other benefits to living that high above sea level, I think... Better for your health, I can't think of anything else now though...
I don't think you'll be able to sell the wood from the trees you clear from the land. Most of the trees are what the locals call "junk" trees that have brittle wood not good for much.

If you have experience with a dozer and can borrow one, you will save lots of money, but an experienced operator can do wonders to a overgrown lot. My 8 acre lot was totally over grown, but when the guy I hired to clear it was finished, it looked beautiful, ready to plant. He somehow managed to bury or push to the side of the property all the debris. I couldn't believe how great it looked. Remember that taking away the cleared debris is absolutely cost prohibitive. Transporting the cleared material to the dump and the dump fee would bankrupt your project. Everything has to be buried or pushed to the side of the property. Believe me, "Let the pro's do it!".

Old 11-24-2011, 04:10 PM

By "debris", I'm assuming you mean old trees and vegetation, right? So, the individual that did your work buried it because it is just going to decompose anyway and add to the quality of your soil. Correct? I'm not sure why I would want to dump it off-site if it's just what I listed above...

Old 11-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Ok, now I get the gloomy part. Ok, that area is out of the question then. I don't want an area that is always raining at inconvenient times with tons of mosquitoes. (meaning during the day) I live in Kalihi (not the valley) and we have great weather here all year round. It usually only rains at night while everyone is asleep which is great! I hope to find my huge acreage plot on the BI in weather like this.

I am searching the listings online right now as we speak. Any specific areas that I should be absolutely be looking for? And how much per acre is considered a great deal? I would assume all offers above this cost is overpriced and under this cost is risky.
Hamakua. Deep soil and sun. The further north from Hilo you go, the cheaper the land. You'll also want to look on the mountain side of the highway, but a location under 2000'. Look between Laupahoehoe and Honokaa.

I know its double your budget, but this place would be ideal. Prices are dropping so you could get it way below what they are asking ($200,000)

Big Island of Hawaii Real Estate Property Specs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island