Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 PM

4 posts, read 35,867 times

Advertisements

Hi Leilaniguy,,,I was just curious about something. My wife and I bought a lot in Fern Forest Vacation Estates at an auction a couple of years ago. We have been to Oahu several times, and oddly enough to the big Island a couple of times without ever going over to see the land that we bought. Do you know any real estate agents, or even better, surveyors, in the area who could help us find it, and see if its worth hanging on to? We have often thought of moving to the big island, and have looked at property in Hilo - but I keep thinking since we already have that piece of land, we might as well look at it. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 29,673 times
Smile Aloha

We will be on Hawaii from May 20 - 27, and will be looking at property, coming over from Waianae where we are retired. Vacation is another island!!

I just read your posting on Fern Forest?? I haven't seen it on any advertising, we might buy over there, but really are just checking it out.

It was interesting reading about Puna, Leilaniguy, how long does it take to drive completely around the island? We are staying at a timeshare in Waimea, we have been to Kona and Hilo, each for a day off a cruise ship, so the whole week there I figure we will really put the miles on??? Yeah??

Thanks for any info on The Big Island...

Carlene

Old 05-06-2006, 01:57 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Aloha chucknnita and Carlene. Fernforest Vacation Estates was "developed" at the time of statehood -1960. It is off hwy. 11 between Mountainview and Volcano Village, accessed by south Glenwood road. It is higher and cooler than many other areas of Puna, many of the residents have heating systems or woodstoves for winter. The climate reminds me of the S. Oregon coast. Many of the subdivisions roads are very rough and narrow dirt and much of it has no electricity, but it is a very lush area, and like most of Puna however, improvements are being made as people move in. There are so many R.E. agents on the island, I can't recommend a specific one, (my favorite has retired). But the Hilo newspaper always has a lot of listings and also ads for "pinfinders" not a surveyor, but able to do the same job for less money, using a GPS, metal detector and a machete. I hired one last year, cost me about $600 for 1 1/2 acre. The newspaper is available online. Most any realtors here will be more than happy to give you maps to any subdivision to help you find your lot. Right now lots in FFVE start at about $40K. It takes about 6 hours to circle the island by car, depending on weather and time of day (rush hour). Probably 3 hours from Waimea to Fernforest.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:35 PM

16 posts, read 71,949 times
Try Marshall Churchill w/ Remax @ 808 960-1926

Old 05-14-2006, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 31,844 times
Leilaniguy

I graduated from UH many years ago. Now retired living temporarily in Panama. I've always dreamed of retiring in Hawaii. Now that I am retired I am looking into it seriously.

Your info posted here is great. I hope you can supply more of the same by answering a few of my questions. I am looking at buying property in Puna or Kau and building myself.

Are there any subdivisions that should be avoided because of drugs or drug dealers? I was warned to stay away from Fern Acres for example.

Do you have any idea what the cost of construction per square foot is?

Is there a construction material of choice (wood, cement, brick, bamboo, adobe, etc.)?

I assume air conditioning is not necessary?

How difficult is it for new arrivals to fit in?

My wife is into bird watching. I assume there is a large variety of interesting birds in addition to the Nene?

What activities are available for retired folks?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Aloha Panama!

I wouldn't say any subdivision or town here is drug free, but the more popular (well populated) subdivisions seem safer. As people move in and build, the meth-heads are being driven farther back in the brush. Fern Acres is improving, now has an effective association that is cracking down on illegal activities. Any subdivision with a H.O.A. would be a good choice. Personally I see Hawaiian Paradise Park, Leilani Estates, (my home) or the smaller Subs. on the Kalapana coast as good places to live. Most of the houses being built now are mainland style stick-built with metal roofs. Square foot prices are about $200-$250 sq. ft. for contracor built. Air cond. is only needed in low rocky areas near seaside, much warmer and dryer there. Most people in Puna (or so it seems) are newcomers, either from other places in Hawaii or the US. Birds? All kinds, natives like Apapane, Io, Hawaiian thrush, Pueo, and many introduced like Cardinal, Whiteye, Mynah, Canary, Parrots. There are different clubs and organizations for seniors VFW, Eagles, Dancing, (square, hula) fishing, golf (in Hilo) etc. Hope this helps, Aloha

Old 05-14-2006, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 30,152 times
Default Ola pono iki

Welina me ke aloha,
I too, fell in love with Hawai'i and will spend every waking moment in the pursuit of moving there. I am in the healthcare industry so Hilo or Kona are pretty much it. I read that the healthcare/hospitals are poor compared to the mainland . Any input there? Which town is better for the hospitals, or do you know of any others. I mean instead of Honolulu (too much like LA). Mahalo.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 30,152 times
Default For the move...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapohoCat
Try Marshall Churchill w/ Remax @ 808 960-1926
And toward the pursuit of life on a rock...Have you used this guy, will he work with people remotely? How do you know him?

Old 05-15-2006, 03:30 PM

Aloha! the largest hospitals are in Hilo and kona, but there are smaller community hospitals in Kau (Pahala) Hamakua (Honokaa) and Kohala (Kamuela) there are also public clinics in Hilo, Pahoa and Keaau. The Kamuela hospital has the best reputation on isle. Personally, I've gotten better care at Pahoa clinic and a chiripractor than at Hilo medical center.....

Old 05-19-2006, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 14,875 times
Leilani guy, good info. Where is Puna, could not find it on mapquest. Just heard last night we may be moving to the Big Island to be involved with a large State housing project. Not sure which part of the Island will be home. I have been to 5 islands in the State in 13 visits, but only once from Hilo to Kona (1981). Always liked the idea of living in Hawaii all my single years, now I'm not as easy to move what with a 12 yr old and her animals. We have 3 horses, 2 goats, 2 dogs & a cat, are there places with land for them? I saw 1 acre lots available in the southern area called Hawaiian Ocean View. Is it mostly lava rock there? Do they get as much rain as Hilo (lots). We are moving from east of Orange County, CA where we have a hot dry climate. What about shopping? Are the Big Box stores in Hilo yet (Walmart, Home Depot, Costco)? Can anyone clue me in on shipping household goods there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island