Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,644 times

Advertisements

Aloha all,

My wife and I are shipping our Toyota Tacoma over to the BI from the mainland to use while we work on our new house there and for return winters. Our truck is in great shape for a 2002 and no sense in buying new as long as it keeps on humming. One thing I have noticed in our time there that relatively few people have canopies on their rigs. Is there a reason behind this? A perennial problem we have with ours is that it rubs paint down to bare metal, especially along the tailgate, so that I'm constantly repainting/primering these areas to keep rust at bay. Rust here is not like rust there tho!

Another question would be about those spray in liners. Is that a good thing to do or might it trap moisture and rust out even quicker?

Many mahalos for your responses. Can't wait to get back. PP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 12:50 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
People don't have canopies (ps, they're called "campers" here, even though they are just canopies) because they can't afford them. Even if you aren't going to use it, you can bring it over and sell it. I'm trying to find one for my '95 Dakota and it's IMPOSSIBLE. Heck, if your camper fits my Dakota I will buy it!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll just leave it on and see how we use it there. I think it will come in handy for trips to Puna country. Alas, I know for sure that ours will not fit your Dakota. Mahalo...pete

Old 07-01-2012, 02:21 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
People don't have canopies (ps, they're called "campers" here, even though they are just canopies) because they can't afford them. Even if you aren't going to use it, you can bring it over and sell it. I'm trying to find one for my '95 Dakota and it's IMPOSSIBLE. Heck, if your camper fits my Dakota I will buy it!
We also call them "camper shells" here.

Enough folks purchase camper shells on the Big Island to keep "Hawaii Campers" in business, so some folks can afford them. However, some folks have access to both a pickup truck and SUV and see no need to turn their truck into a "makeshift SUV" with a camper shell. Here's a link to Hawaii Campers...
Home Page

Old 07-01-2012, 02:36 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
I highly recommend sprayliners for here, and undercoating too. I have an '01 Ranger that spends it's life outside and still has no pukas in the bed.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to leave the cap (camper!) on as well as get the bed shot. Its lasted this long, might as well as keep the old girl going. Mahalo to all....pete

Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 AM

10 posts, read 26,968 times
maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that if an item is Not permanently attached to a shipped vehicle, it doesn't ship, which might mean a separate shipping charge for the camper top (that's what I call it and I'm not from Hawaii).

Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 AM

Yeah that was how I read it too on the shippers site but when I asked they said no problem so.....

Old 07-18-2012, 06:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
My neighbor bought a PU on the mainland with a camper top and shipped it via Matson with no problems.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:15 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
The shippers mostly don't want folks to fill their cars with boxes since they can't keep them secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island