Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times

Advertisements

So I just gave this a shot tonight, and it wasn't as good as Ken's. I know it's pretty simple recipe but are there like certain ingredients I should be using?

A local I talked to there said to use mccormicks brown gravy for the gravy. I just used normal white rice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 06:39 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Miccormicks is the usual gravy. It looks like maybe you used a poached egg? it's got to be fried to be really ono.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
That's close. Work with the proportions.

As you may have guessed, the quality of the gravy has a lot to do with the final result. Personally I make gravy from broth plus thickener. See the recipe I attached.

Yes, fried egg, sunny side up is traditional, but I'm not a purist. Do whatever style you like. But runny yolk is part of the goopy charm of the original.

Rice should be fairly dry. Scratch cooked will give you more authentic texture than Minute Rice..

Gravy should be ladled over everything last.

Have fun!

Big Island Grinds » Loco Moco Recipe

Last edited by OpenD; 09-05-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Snikt, I'm in Colorado right now. I'd be happy to come be a taster/judge for you

Old 09-06-2012, 02:39 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Cafe 100 is the one you should be comparing it to. The Loco Moco - Cafe 100, Hilo Hawaii They've been dishing up locos probably for longer than Ken's has been around, but I'm just guessing on that.

Two scoop rice - sticky rice not that mainland stuff. Then a patty of some sort, hamburger is traditional, but almost anything else can be substituted. Spam, fish, steak, hotdogs, even tofu if you must. Then an egg and gravy all over.

If you make the gravy in the same pan the meat was cooked in, that might add more flavor. Also, a lot of beef around here is the grass fed beef which has more flavor, too.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:54 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
I keep looking at the picture and am I the only the wonders is that a heart attack waiting to happen?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:51 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Cafe 100 is the one you should be comparing it to. The Loco Moco - Cafe 100, Hilo Hawaii They've been dishing up locos probably for longer than Ken's has been around, but I'm just guessing on that.
Good guess. Cafe 100 says they've had Loco Moco on the menu since 1949, while Ken's didn't open until 1971. I knew Cafe 1000 made a lot of Loco Moco, but 9,000 orders a month? I had no idea. I guess those tour buses add up! But I dispute the authenticity of the picture on their website. I have never seen such a tidy presentation. I think loco moco kinda loses something if it isn't a bit messy. http://www.aldenteblog.com/2008/09/i-love-loco-moc.html

Quote:
Two scoop rice - sticky rice not that mainland stuff. Then a patty of some sort, hamburger is traditional, but almost anything else can be substituted. Spam, fish, steak, hotdogs, even tofu if you must. Then an egg and gravy all over.
For those not in the know, according to the origin story of the Hawaiian Isles I was first told by a wise old Huna in a torchlit "wisdom ceremony", the hamburger version was created around 1947 at the now long-gone Lincoln Grill or maybe May's Fountain in Hilo, for the benefit of high school Track & Field athletes who came in starving after practice sessions but had little money. It was designed to be cheap and filling. All the other versions sprung from that humble origin. And now it is one of the quintessential items of Hawaiian soul food.

Quote:
If you make the gravy in the same pan the meat was cooked in, that might add more flavor. Also, a lot of beef around here is the grass fed beef which has more flavor, too.
Well, for hamburger better to drain the grease, eh? But yeah, a nice island steak n' eggs loco moco style with pan gravy is very flavorful.

"Heart attack on a plate?" Yeah, if you ate them all the time - at least unless you are 17 years old and running cross-country - but once in a while you just have to loosen your belt and your mundane worries and chow down on da ono grindz!

Last edited by OpenD; 09-06-2012 at 04:19 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 AM

406 posts, read 865,698 times
Wink You guys are the worst!

DRAT!!! Now I gotta clean my keyboard! Making me drool on the keyboard is not nice! Where's my skillet - gotta make da rice - flour, flour, where is the flour, we got eggs.......gonna starve before I get this made!

One of my favorite meals!

Mickey

Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Cafe 100 was supposed to be started by guys from the "Go for Broke" regiment, the 442nd. Some of the remaining members (they served in WWII) used to meet there every morning, but I don't know if they still do. The 442nd was supposed to be one of the most decorated units in that war. The menu at Cafe 100 might be what they served the homesick soldiers?

They have a really extensive menu and have all sorts of interesting things to eat. Anyone had one of their "Goody Good"s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: