Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,775 times

Advertisements

Thats why Hawaii doesn't need DST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 06:23 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Guys, what you do is get really burned a few times, then peal, then you will always tan after in Hawai'i. The reason the sun is stonger in Hawai'i is its closer to the equator. Tropical rays are stronger.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:09 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
No the sun is stronger in Hawaii because it lies just below the tropic of cancer and this is precisely the time of year when at solar noon Honolulu, the sun is 90 degrees above horizon, zenith angle 0, Zero Shadow

Point your finger all the way up into the dead center of the sky? There's the sun

But +-3 hours after solar noon, Hawaii sun dips to much much much more tolerable exposure level
So just avoid Hawaiian sun between the hours of 9AM and 3pm

Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
I tolerate the sun quite well. That doesn't mean I don't ever burn, tho. I can be outside for a few hours and won't burn. Now, if I go fishing on a boat for most of the day without wearing sunscreen, I'll burn some, but you won't notice it. I'll just look like the color of a Tootsie Roll, but I'll feel the burn.

Last edited by kaimuki; 05-24-2014 at 09:16 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I tolerate the sun quite well. That doesn't mean I don't ever burn. I can be outside for a few hours and won't burn. Now, if I go fishing on a boat for most of the day without wearing sunscreen, I'll burn some, but you won't see it. I'll just look like the color of a Tootsie Roll, but I'll feel the burn.
Yeah playing on or in the water can give killer burn!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
Anyone who lives in Florida or Hawaii, not to mention Arizona, New Mexico, and a LOT of other places, should use sunscreen daily w/ at least a rating of 30. 50 is what I use. It needs to be reapplied regularly throughout the day too. Most of my older, lighter skinned friends also wear light colored clothing on their arms, and always a hat, if they're in the sun a lot. I can't tell you you many fishermen I've met w/ skin cancer on their arms, tops of their ears, and their faces. As our atmosphere is being burned off and thinned out, the effects of the sun are getting worse every year. Of course, when we lived in Hilo, I generally had to return to the states to get a tan! Don't forget, just because it's cloudy doesn't mean the UV isn't getting to you either. It burns right through there and you don't see it until you're burned later.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Of course, when we lived in Hilo, I generally had to return to the states to get a tan! Don't forget, just because it's cloudy doesn't mean the UV isn't getting to you either. It burns right through there and you don't see it until you're burned later.
WOW! You must be really old since you lived in Hilo before Hawaii was a State!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:29 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Ouch, i lived in Hawaii before it was a state. Does that make me old? No don't answer that.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Ouch, i lived in Hawaii before it was a state. Does that make me old? No don't answer that.
Wow Kupuna i bet you have some wonderful talkstories of what Hawai'i was like in da good ol days? I would just love to hear how much different life was back then. You should share your experience before its gone. The only judge of which direction we are going in current times and if its correct is to measure it from the past. I know i would be greatful to hear your story.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
I don't have many pre statehood photos but here is one.
Attached Thumbnails
Beware of the Friendly Hawaiian Sun !  It will tan and burn you greater than the sun in Minnesota at the same time.-image.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island