Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:57 PM

55 posts, read 423,789 times

Advertisements

I have a question I was pulled over on saddle road and I was not speeding at all...I was flashing my light to oncoming motorist so they dont get caught for speeding as someone got pulled over. Now I didnt do this infront a cop, and one of the motorist coming other direction happen to be an unmarked police coming the opposite speeding. I decided to be nice and warn the person. He turned around and pulled me over. He asked me why I was flashing my light and I told him I was testing out my lights to make sure they work and I think there could be an electrical problem with my car. So he gives me writes me up 40 dollars for bad electrical problem with vehicle and 70 dollars for safety sticker obstructing license plate.

Where is the law regarding electrical problems with your vehicle?

Old 09-23-2012, 12:37 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,976 times
What exactly does it say on the ticket for the "offenses"? And is there a violation code included?

Old 09-23-2012, 12:58 AM

It says failure to take care of electrical problem $40 and $70 dollars for obstruction of license plate

Old 09-23-2012, 01:08 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Funny, if you had said you were warning other drivers, in most states in the country that's legal, and you probably would not get a ticket. Washington State is the only one I know where it is definitely illegal.

But you didn't say that. Oooops.

Pay the ticket.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:20 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,567 times
I would flash for obstacles in the road such as cars, people, animals, or rocks and such, but NEVER for a speed trap, you speed you get ticketed ... too bad so sad.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 AM

Yes that is true, but I told the officer I was making sure my headlight works due to some electrical issue. So how could you get a ticket for electrical issue is my question, which its just something that happen to vehicle.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:45 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times
So you lied to an officer of the law and now you are complaining that you got a ticket? Maybe if you would have been honest in the first place the officer might not have even looked for other infractions.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Is there actually an electrical problem? Did the cop see that there was a problem - and could he truthfully testify to the effect that the electrical problem exists? Likely the electrical problem is a correctable violation - which means that you can take your vehicle to the police department, have it inspected, and they will sign that it is fixed. Then you take the citation to court and the charge will be dismissed. Keep in mind that this would be the case here in California. Hawaii law may be different. Check the front of the citation and if the violation is correctable, it should state so - and give you instructions on what to do.

I don't know what the obstruction of license plate violation means. You should look up the violation code number in the state vehicle code. Unfortunately, it seems that Hawaii doesn't have an easily accessible online VC like California does. I did find this page - but found the pages in the links to the Legislature site hard to navigate.

Hawaii DMV Vehicle Code Information & Resources at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Don't assume that you have to pay anything. Either the violations can be corrected or you can defend yourself in front of a judge. Without an actual electrical problem existing - that will be difficult to prove and should be dismissed. The license plate might be a different story - and without further information I can't help you with that one.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:50 AM

Never lied to him at all, lying is when you say one thing to him and change your story. I am just paying it anyways...i was talking to my neighbor and she told the truth to officer and she still got written a ticket. They didnt drive 50 miles out of hilo to go up to the pohakola training base not issue tickets...they clearly where looking to make money. Be a waste of drive. If they came back empty handed.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:04 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Here is the section of the VC dealing with equipment. Kepp hitting "next" and it will take you to other sections. Going to "previous" will eventually bring you to the index.

PART II

That site isn't very user friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island