Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:56 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times

Advertisements

One of the specially prepped/wrapped power poles has caught fire. They believe heat got to the part of the pole that is underground and started burning it from there. This is an earlier picture, but may be the same power pole.

Hawai'i Electric Light Utility Pole Impacted by Lava | Big Island Now

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:51 AM

This is really cool!

It was actually students who are in in the STEM program at HAAS (Hawai'i Academy of Arts and Sciences) a Pahoa charter school that is right in the future path of the lava flow, that originally came up with the basic idea on how to protect the poles. HELCO engineers then tweaked it to use locally available materials.

School site:
Hawai'i Academy of Arts and Science Home

LA Times article about the power poles:
In Hawaii, village residents prepare to evacuate as lava approaches - LA Times

Old 10-29-2014, 05:27 PM

Just got back from the Pahoa Post Office. Pahoa Village Rd has quite a bit of traffic on it and there are several TV/video news crews staked out in front of the Post Office. Looks like the police and Civil Defense are not letting them go any closer than that. In addition, the County's Chopper 1 was flying low and slow over the lava front. Not much smoke is visible right now. Still, it is kinda surreal.

Blackrock, Luquin's and Kaleo's restaurants all looked very busy for lunch.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:11 PM

At 5pm, chopper 1 is flying over the flow front and there is smoke coming from maybe 100 yards from Pahoa Village Rd. Lots of police and Civil Defense around. Lots of onlookers too.
"

Old 10-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Footage and story about how the starting/stopping of the flow is frustrating to officials and people in the path.
It also mentions U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard taking a helicopter tour of the flow yesterday. She actually boarded "Hawaii County Chopper 1" in the parking lot of the Pahoa Skate Park. Tulsi earned much respect locally after the Tropical Storm Iselle blew through earlier this year, personally staffing emergency food/water distribution points.

Maintain vigilance despite stop-and-go flow, officials say - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 10-30-2014, 01:19 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Footage and story about how the starting/stopping of the flow is frustrating to officials and people in the path.
It also mentions U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard taking a helicopter tour of the flow yesterday. She actually boarded "Hawaii County Chopper 1" in the parking lot of the Pahoa Skate Park. Tulsi earned much respect locally after the Tropical Storm Iselle blew through earlier this year, personally staffing emergency food/water distribution points.

Maintain vigilance despite stop-and-go flow, officials say - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Interesting video. I noticed a recent berm in part of the video. Know anything about it's origin?

The slow, oozing lava was exactly the kind that I hiked to from the park, Feb 2013, when it was going to the ocean. I had a video of that lava and posted it on FB with a caption, "Lava Flow." A friend came back with, "more like an ooze."

Old 10-30-2014, 01:25 PM

Yes. A local resident recently constructed the berm with his own bulldozer. It is going to be interesting not only if he succeeds in the short-term (I doubt it will work long-term) but if in succeeding to protect his property, his berm manages to divert flow right into his neighbors homes.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:31 PM

I found an article and video on the berm. Interesting.

Pahoa property owner's berm raises legal concerns, worries neigh - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 10-30-2014, 01:48 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Yes. A local resident recently constructed the berm with his own bulldozer. It is going to be interesting not only if he succeeds in the short-term (I doubt it will work long-term) but if in succeeding to protect his property, his berm manages to divert flow right into his neighbors homes.
I watched your You Tube video on another thread. Very interesting that if you think you're safe it's not necessarily over and showed how it can get much taller and begin to spread as was the case in Kalapana. I guess Yogi was right, "it's not over till it's over."

Old 10-30-2014, 02:50 PM

Thursday morning update. 10/30/14

Just went into Pahoa - The Hawaii National Guard is definitely here...

Almost no traffic at all through town (but it was 10:00am and school is closed today and Friday).
Parking lots around Blackrock Cafe, Bay Clinic area are full of vehicles though and there is a small crowd outside the post office, many armed with cameras, just standing and waiting for what I presume will be the moment a structure catches fire or the lava does cross the village road. There is also no real smoke cloud visible from the flow front. That is a good sign.

Also a lot of big name network news crews wandering around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island