Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:41 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
I was going to mention a little something about the Coqui singing the minor 7th. interval, always starting on perfect F sharps. . .but I can see this is a tough group

I'll leave at at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoCE...Wief58&index=1

It's tough being green,

Rust
Mahalo rust, nothing expresses hawaii culture more and the mana aloha then hawaii music from slack key to the contemporary. It would be nice if our mod would let us start a thread about hawaii music here on CDF Hawaii forum because unlike regular music, hawaii music talks about the culture and spirit of its people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 11:08 PM

552 posts, read 1,056,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Mahalo rust, nothing expresses hawaii culture more and the mana aloha then hawaii music from slack key to the contemporary. It would be nice if our mod would let us start a thread about hawaii music here on CDF Hawaii forum because unlike regular music, hawaii music talks about the culture and spirit of its people.

Is there some arcane violation of rule in starting such a thread? I don't mean a sub-forum but a post that might evolve into a thread? If so, I have no business here. My relationship with Hawaii involved music over a period from 1966 to 1995. I was in & out of the state, playing and going to counties in the South Pacific and Near East.

Hawaiian by Heart - I remember you here:
Pagoda Hotel and Floating World Restaurant Honolulu, HI

Rust

Old 03-29-2015, 11:36 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Is there some arcane violation of rule in starting such a thread? I don't mean a sub-forum but a post that might evolve into a thread? If so, I have no business here. My relationship with Hawaii involved music over a period from 1966 to 1995. I was in & out of the state, playing and going to counties in the South Pacific and Near East.

Hawaiian by Heart - I remember you here:
Pagoda Hotel and Floating World Restaurant Honolulu, HI

Rust
Aloha rust, I remember howzit? I don't think its an issue of it being a subject kapu for CDF Hawaii as much as it's a music subject that would be moved to the music forum. Personally I think it would be best to keep a thread like that here because more people from Hawaii here. But I no make the rules. We have to goto the politics and controversial forum to talk story about Hawaiian sovereignty. Anyway good to see you.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo and Zeuss View Post
I really love the Hawaiian music played on Steel Guitars.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0CqZ1QYRI8

Now this is Kickin It Old Skool - Andy Iona on steel.

Rust

Old 03-30-2015, 02:44 AM

308 posts, read 410,536 times
Quote:

This might interest you, it was used in both a Hawaiian operetta "Prince of Hawaii" as "King's Serenade" and later used in the 1932 RKO movie "Bird of Paradise".

Watch "Bird of Paradise" (1932) Free Online
We watched this last night just before bed. Both Z and I enjoy watching those very old movies. He watched them growing up in Scotland, where his father was a historian at the Nat'l Library of Scotland, and his mother ran a bookstore. They were all scholars--everyone except one of his sisters--and they used to have some sort of movie night a couple of times a week where they watched an old movie or two (and took vacations based on where the best museums and libraries are). I grew up watching the old vampire, werewolf, etc. movies, as well as the slapstick comedies of the era of black and white movies, late at night after my parents had stumbled to bed after a night out at the bars. Consequently, they carry a certain amount of nostalgia for both of us, even though Z is only in his mid 40s, and I am 10 years older, so neither of us saw those old flicks when they were first released.

So, anyway, we enjoyed the movie. I didn't like the ending, of course, as I'm someone who likes "Happily Ever After" things (a die-hard romantic at heart, in other words ). But it was interesting, somewhat funny (the kissing parts! LOL!), and well-told. Of course, one worries about the stunts you see in these ancient movies, before there was as much in the way of safety precautions, and that turtle he was riding and dragged to shore--I can only hope it wasn't harmed!

Thanks for linking us up to the old movie. It is now part of our library of such things, so we can now watch it whenever we like :-).

Old 03-30-2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
We watched this last night just before bed. Both Z and I enjoy watching those very old movies. He watched them growing up in Scotland, where his father was a historian at the Nat'l Library of Scotland, and his mother ran a bookstore. They were all scholars--everyone except one of his sisters--and they used to have some sort of movie night a couple of times a week where they watched an old movie or two (and took vacations based on where the best museums and libraries are). I grew up watching the old vampire, werewolf, etc. movies, as well as the slapstick comedies of the era of black and white movies, late at night after my parents had stumbled to bed after a night out at the bars. Consequently, they carry a certain amount of nostalgia for both of us, even though Z is only in his mid 40s, and I am 10 years older, so neither of us saw those old flicks when they were first released.

So, anyway, we enjoyed the movie. I didn't like the ending, of course, as I'm someone who likes "Happily Ever After" things (a die-hard romantic at heart, in other words ). But it was interesting, somewhat funny (the kissing parts! LOL!), and well-told. Of course, one worries about the stunts you see in these ancient movies, before there was as much in the way of safety precautions, and that turtle he was riding and dragged to shore--I can only hope it wasn't harmed!

Thanks for linking us up to the old movie. It is now part of our library of such things, so we can now watch it whenever we like :-).
Glad you enjoyed it. Btw, nice selection of birds. Concerning your red-factor canary, you know about color feeding with high quality paprika and chili petines? I traveled too much for pets myself. From time to time I gave a long term, long distance girlfriend parrots. I spent a little time with them in transit. Love most birds.

Thomas Jefferson's Mockingbird Named Dick

"I sincerely congratulate you on the arrival of the mockingbird. Teach all the children to venerate it as a superior being which will haunt them if any harm is done to itself or its eggs." -Thomas Jefferson

Remember Atticus, " "I'd rather you shot at tin cans in the back yard, but I know you'll go after birds. Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

Rust . . .tired and almost forgot to send.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 AM

308 posts, read 410,536 times
Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it. Btw, nice selection of birds. Concerning your red-factor canary, you know about color feeding with high quality paprika and chili petines? I traveled too much for pets myself. From time to time I gave a long term, long distance girlfriend parrots. I spent a little time with them in transit. Love most birds.

Thomas Jefferson's Mockingbird Named Dick

"I sincerely congratulate you on the arrival of the mockingbird. Teach all the children to venerate it as a superior being which will haunt them if any harm is done to itself or its eggs." -Thomas Jefferson

Remember Atticus, " "I'd rather you shot at tin cans in the back yard, but I know you'll go after birds. Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

Rust . . .tired and almost forgot to send.
Thank you. We actually have other parrots, also: I have a female Blue and Gold macaw and a female Scarlet macaw. My husband has a nasty, grouchy old male Severe macaw named Eddie (who calls himself Jasper!), and a female Bluefront Amazon. My girls love me and the B&G hates my husband. The Scarlet puts up with him :-). His birds HATE me, although Eddie-Jasper will gladly eat as many walnuts from my hand as I'm willing to give him :-). So now you know just what parrots we'd bring to Hawaii, if we ever decide to relocate there. Hence my desire for acreage and no CC&Rs! LOL!

I also had several other macaws over the years--a male Hyacinth who is now living in a wildlife conservation center in Rainier, Oregon, and waiting to find himself a female so he can be part of their breeding program. A male Greenwing, who now has a wife and lives with a friend of mine. A B&G male who also has a wife and lives with my same friend--and produced a little boy last year, who is the light and love of my friend's life. Several hybrid macaws--2nd and 3rd generation Scarlet x B&Gs, a couple of other Scarlets, etc. When I became severely disabled, though, I didn't think it was fair to my husband to have to take care of all of my birds by himself, so I rehomed most of them to good people. Thankfully, my condition improved significantly, and I am able to keep the parrots I still have left :-).

I have never even seen a mockingbird, believe it or not. I've seen photos of them, but I don't think they're native to Oregon. If they are, I've never seen one, at least. And, as you can probably guess, I'd agree with both Thomas Jefferson and Atticus. Although I'd probably say those things about most birds, not just a Mockingbird .

Your girlfriends were lucky to have those parrots--provided they were up to the task of taking care of a feathered toddler for the rest of its life--or theirs :-). A very demanding, spoiled, messy toddler with very strong "teeth"! LOL!

Yes, I know about feeding color supplements to my red-factor canary. He gets them every other day. I buy a commercially made supplement, and add paprika. I haven't added chili petines, because I don't have a clue what they are, or I probably would :-).

Mahalo for all of your helpful advice, interesting conversation, and links to some fantastic videos. You, sir, are a VERY interesting person, with lots of fantastic interests. I really enjoy when you share all of that with the rest of us :-). The more of your posts that I find, the more I look forward to whatever you have to contribute to this forum, next.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 AM

189 posts, read 260,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
You wouldn't like them if you lived here. I assume your coqui recording is one frog? There are places in Puna that have 20,000= per acre! Each frog can produce a sound between 80 and 100 decibels. Try multiplying that by 20,000 and then see how you like it Additionally, coquis are invasive, they have no predators (except chickens), they eat the native insects and destroy their habitat. They are so bad here that it has become a requirement to disclose their presence in real estate transactions, and has resulted in decreased property values in some locations.
How the heck you get a recording of one frog? Do you think i held individual auditions to select the nicest singing frog? Why is so hard to believe that some people actually find the noise relaxing? Last 2 places i spent time on the island were Ala'lli Rd off 130 and in Eden Rock sub both places full of coqui as i'm sure you know.
Oh i see, you don't complain about the chickens eating the local insects but when the frog eats them it's a problem. Last time i was involved in a real estate transaction on the island was 2 years ago and did not see or hear about such disclosure being needed...maybe things do change in Puna....but the decreased property values bs, come on! Solutions? Well some may consider moving to west side or to continue on the bs side of things why don't we just cut down all the trees and hope the frogs will not adapt to living in the grasses. We could also try to domesticate them and make them sing custom tunes perhaps?

Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Coqui's are worshipped in the Rainforest.. I find their singing beautiful, so sorry some ppl in Hawaii do not like them. In Puerto Rico they are never killed, it is sad to read that some ppl do not like their singing.
I have several CD's with the coqui singing, they are sold in the tourist stores in PR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C24IOVRYC08

Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Mark, you don't even live in Hawaii, so how can you be such an expert on this subject? Before you go off on your sarcastic rant, maybe you could take a few minutes to learn the facts about why this is such an important issue to those of us who do live here and value our way of life.

It's very easy to get a recording of one frog. You hear him call, you take your tape recorder, and you stand next to the tree that he's in. Very easy. You don't need to bring him into the studio for an audition.

If coquis aren't such a problem, then why is the Hawaii Department of Agriculture so heavily involved in their control? If coquis aren't such a problem, then why are there citizen groups in Hamakua, Ka'u, Kohala, Lower Puna, South Kona, and Volcano organized to fight them? If coquis aren't such a problem, then why does the University of Hawaii have such an extensive (and expensive) public information campaign on how to locate and eradicate them? If coquis aren't such a problem, then why did the Hawaii County Department of Agriculture, Oahu Invasive Species Committee, Oahu Army Natural Resources Program and Department of Land and Natural Resources band together to eradicate them in Oahu?

The information that I provided about real estate disclosures and values was from the Hawaii County Government Invasive Species Council. Maybe you should accuse them of bs, but not me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island