Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 05:40 PM

857 posts, read 958,309 times

Advertisements

This picture more closely resemble what my property looks like -- gentler slopping bluff face, with vegetation and a trail leading down:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 09:22 PM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
Congratulations! Weather is a LOT different. BTW - your last pic looks like Big Sur, with Bixby bridge. See that house on top of the hill, right above the bridge? The driveway snakes around and up that hill. I hiked halfway up that driveway to get a decent shot of the bridge for a photography class I was in. If you got a lot there that would be awesome!

Old 12-10-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
Congratulations! Weather is a LOT different. BTW - your last pic looks like Big Sur, with Bixby bridge. See that house on top of the hill, right above the bridge? The driveway snakes around and up that hill. I hiked halfway up that driveway to get a decent shot of the bridge for a photography class I was in. If you got a lot there that would be awesome!
No the above are just an internet photos that resemble my property. Mine is in Mendocino. The coastline from San Louis San Luis Obispo and up are all rather similar. But for some reason oceanfront properties south of SF is VERY VERY expensive (we're talking about millions), especially around Big Sur. Those in Mendocino are more affordable.

I'm happy with just a parcel in Mendocino!

Old 12-10-2016, 11:40 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Congratulations. I was in Mendocino a couple months ago and have visited the town several times over the years. It's a very relaxed place. Not much to do because it's a bit isolated. But very pretty town and scenic area. I always enjoy walking out to see the sunset each evening when I'm there.

Anyway, I'm sure you will love it.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:00 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Looks great, good job.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:19 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
No the above are just an internet photos that resemble my property. Mine is in Mendocino. The coastline from San Louis San Luis Obispo and up are all rather similar. But for some reason oceanfront properties south of SF is VERY VERY expensive (we're talking about millions), especially around Big Sur. Those in Mendocino are more affordable.

I'm happy with just a parcel in Mendocino!
Congratulations on finding a property that is right for you! I have a few questions after looking at the photos of properties that are similar to yours. The first question is about the sheer cliff. When homes ae built too close to the edge of sheer cliffs, sometimes I hear stories about erosion of the cliff, and the home being destroyed when it falls off the edge of the cliff. There are other stories about homes being built on ground that is not stable in California. Is there evidence that the cliffs are gradually eroding over time? Maybe there isn't any erosion, or the erosion that occurs won't effect you if the time frame of the erosion is much longer than your lifespan.

You can see the ocean, but can you physically access the ocean? There might be restrictions which don't allow the construction of a stairway. Or, it may be very expensive, plus the insurance liability cost if a person is killed or injured on the stairway, even if they are a trespasser.

The other question is what is the access to water? It's pretty tough to live without water, if it has to be trucked in and stored in tanks, especially if the rainfall is limited. There weren't any forest areas in the pictures, so the risk of the home being burned down by a wildfire would be reduced, but still could be burnt down by a grassfire or brush fire.

Another concern is the risk of earthquakes. Major earthquakes are overdue in California. Most people in California simply live with the risk, and try not to think about it too much. There's either no warning, or only seconds of warning time, unlike a hurricane, where you can see it coming, although the path sometimes changes.

How isolated is the property? It would be a pain if you couldn't have decent Internet access. Satellite Internet is a poor, last choice. Maybe good Internet access isn't as important to you, or they have good Internet access in the area. What about access to shopping, emergency response, and medical services? If the property is too isolated, that could be a factor. How high are property taxes? If your property taxes is five figures, or close to five figures, that causes most people to walk away, if you ever want to sell in the future.

Perhaps none of those things have a significant impact on your decision. If I was considering that type of property, I would need to resolve those issues.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:25 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Looks like this discussion needs to be moved to the California forum. We're not talking about Hawaii anymore.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:12 AM

Think of it as a comparison between CA and HI....

But I'm still looking for a small house in HI.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:26 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Think of it as a comparison between CA and HI
Perhaps we can also have a discussion between apples and oranges.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Perhaps we can also have a discussion between apples and oranges.
If you have to choose between an apple and an orange, how would you choose and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island