Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 09:36 AM

49 posts, read 68,081 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I'm kind of in a bad situation (bad by 1st world standards).

Moved from Minneapolis to Texas just two months ago for a job. Bought a great new house, kids going to school, everything was going great, except work. Job is terrible and they may go out of business soon. I could struggle and find a new job in the area but there are not many available for what I do. Competition is fierce here.

I am now talking to a company in the Kona / Kahaluu-Keauhou area that has an opening. I have been to Hawaii many times before and obviously love it because we were on vacation. I know living there is a completely different beast.

This job is giving me a guaranteed salary and I will be working hard but at least I know there will be $ coming in. So the job is good, but I'm afraid we will get "Island Fever" in a few years living in Kona.

I have two small children, one about to start Kindergarten. Schools are a big priority for us and we would prefer public if possible, but we have heard that the schools in Hawaii are just not that great, and academics are just not a high priority for most kids.

We are both of Asian decent.

We are a very active bunch and would love the outdoor stuff, but what about kids activities? Are there things to do for them? Is it a family friendly place? I know lots of retirees, any families out there? Do we have to fly to Oahu for everything?

Also, most of our family is on the East coast of the mainland. I know flights from Oahu are plentiful, how about from Kona? We will need to fly back at least a few times a year.

Are we nuts for even considering this job? Any family friendly neighborhoods in that area? Our home budget is about $7-900K. I don't mind driving about 45 minutes one way for commute but I'm worried if we live too far south there won't be much for the kids to do.

I've also heard about the crime spree going on in the Big Island? Is this true? That would definitely be a game changer for me as safety for my family is first and foremost.

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankingdom View Post

Are we nuts for even considering this job?
With two small children? Probably.

I find it incredibly hard to believe you can't find something in the continental US that can provide much better for your family.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankingdom View Post

I have two small children, one about to start Kindergarten. Schools are a big priority for us and we would prefer public if possible, but we have heard that the schools in Hawaii are just not that great, and academics are just not a high priority for most kids.

Check out Holualoa elementary, I've heard good things about it. I'm afraid that what you've heard is generally considered to be true, once kids reach middle and high school age.

Yes, plenty of flights from Kona to mainland. I'm familiar with Alaska airlines' flights to PNW and Alaska, for example.

Good luck with your search. I would prefer living up slope just a bit, for cooler temps, though I'm not familiar with the neighborhoods there.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:38 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
There's lots of kids in the Kona/Keauhou area. I got behind a school bus yesterday dropping kids off on Ali'i Drive at 1:15. Apparently Wednesdays are short days. Also, I think the schools do four one-hour classes in a day instead of the six 50-minute classes that I grew up with.

One subdivision you could check out is called Pualani (I think). Look at Puapuaanui Street off of Mamalahoa Highway (Highway 11). There's a big playground and baseball diamond and I see kids playing there all the time.

Some of the schools are okay here and some are not. Read the thread about the Continuing Shocking State of Hawaii Public Schools.

Plenty of flights from Kona. Most go to SF or LA, then connecting to hubs further east. Or you go to Honolulu and to Chicago or Houston or Denver from there. Flying to the east coast is an all day (or all night) trek.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
I was going to say that it would work out for you: job and salary secured, plenty of housing budget, young kids so you have time to figure out schooling (the right public school or charter school). Even though I'm not on the big island, I'm always amazed how many activities kids have here on our smaller island (music instruction, team sports, clubs, camps, etc.). Our kid is always booked solid with activities and doing stuff with friends.

But then I saw this:

> Also, most of our family is on the East coast of the mainland. We will need to fly back at least a few times a year.

This will be a major pain point, and personally I would consider it a deal breaker. I would not want to fly that far with 2 small kids (even without) more than once a year. A lot of the Kona direct flights east-bound are red-eyes, and then you have to deal with LAX and another long flight east. The price of tickets will be high, and you will be spending all of your vacation days on these trips, so less time to explore and just BE in Hawaii.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:44 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
I have no personal experience with the Kona area schools. I did hire a guy last year and we brought his wife and three (teen) kids over. They moved from the Tampa, Florida area and the children enrolled at Konawaena in Captain Cook. They spoke highly of the school, its' curriculum and the opportunities it afforded their children.
I have found that what family I and my wife have on the mainland are more than willing to come visit us here. If you get a house with a guest room or two, you may not have to make that many trips back to visit family.
Good luck with your decision regardless of where it takes you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island