Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 AM

354 posts, read 385,518 times

Advertisements

What! Oh wow okay that's definitely a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:13 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
For east coast, there are direct flights between Honolulu and JFK, Newark and DC (only available in summer). But for other cities like Boston, you need connecting flight. Flying to Atlanta, Florida and Texas is more humbug that you must transfer.

If you buy the ticket too late in peak season, the only affordable flights are those that you need to transfer two or even three times.

Airfare is not that expensive as compared with car rental and hotel charges. In fact, for international flight, the fare has come down a lot. I used to pay airfare that was double what I pay now to Asia ten years ago.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:19 PM

I forgot this is a Big Island thread. So most likely their residents have to pay about $130 extra. But if you buy tickets from Hawaiian Air, they will bundle it up and give you discount on the flights between Honolulu and Hilo/Kona.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:38 PM

If you want to save further, get a credit card from Hawaiian Air. Usually they offer perks like 35,000 miles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months, periodically they up their offer to 50,000 miles.

Unlike United and Delta, if you book your ticket by Hawaiian miles early, the seats are always available. There are three advantages: (1) If you don't have enough miles to book a round trip ticket, HA allows you to pay one way by cash and the other way by miles. (2) There are no other surcharges. Usually you just pay $15-$20 extra to get the ticket. (3) There is no blackout period. If you book early, you can get seats during Thanksgiving or X'mas.

I have exchanged 30,000 miles for a one way ticket from JFK to Honolulu. I also exchanged a round trip ticket to Chitose, Sapporo with 50,000 miles.

And the card does not charge you annual fee until the 12th month. So if you cancel it on the 11th month, you gain 50,000 miles without paying a dime. The remaining miles will still stay in your Hawaiian Miles account.

And if you are keen on international travel, look for those new destinations that HA offers. Usually during the first two weeks that HA debuts the flight, the fare is incredibly low. Also during the last two months after they announced to discontinue flights, i.e. Fukuoka and Taipei, the fare was also incredibly low. Much cheaper than flying to Vegas.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
For east coast, there are direct flights between Honolulu and JFK, Newark and DC (only available in summer). But for other cities like Boston, you need connecting flight. Flying to Atlanta, Florida and Texas is more humbug that you must transfer.
Delta flies to Atlanta daily nonstop.

American flies to Dallas daily nonstop

United flies to Houston daily nonstop

Old 08-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Delta flies to Atlanta daily nonstop.

American flies to Dallas daily nonstop

United flies to Houston daily nonstop
You are right. Sorry for the misinformation.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:09 PM

354 posts, read 385,518 times
Wow, this is great!! So it definitely can be done!!!

I am happy to hear about these tips and tricks, being as we are pretty set on living in HI (big island is probably best for us) and also being able to make a couple trips back to the mainland a year.

Our friends in hawaii are making FOUR trips to the mainland this year for weddings!

Setting up my travel fund piggy bank now

Old 08-21-2017, 04:22 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times
I fly to Az a couple times a year to see family, then work usually has me going to LA, NY and Vegas once each per year. I fly Hawaiian since I do a lot of interisland flying. And have the BOH miles card. It's not as good as it used to be, but still useful.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:02 AM

60 posts, read 63,575 times
If I had a choice I would NEVER go back. My wife has family and she drags me along occasionally. I never enjoy it. It's always such a relief to get back home. I've been here for 37 years. There's nothing on the mainland for me. If family wants to see me they can come here. They can stay for free if they feed me! I'll take them to all the best restaurants and hidden beaches , up to the top of Mauna Kea, down into the Waipio Valley. Hey! It's Hawaii!! Come on!

Old 08-23-2017, 02:07 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times
If it wasn't for my 80 y/o Dad, I would never go to Arizona intentionally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island