Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 PM

132 posts, read 486,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona6381 View Post
Hi to all!.. I am new here and I really need some advice. I and my family really want to move to the mainland. We can't afford to live here in Hilo Big Island HI. My husband work in a private job as a Mental Health Counselor and earned $55,000 while me is a stayed at home mom. We have 3 kids ages 8,6 and 2. Both of my girls is in public school. We really want to move in a place with 4 seasons..not too hot and not too cold. We are also concerned about him finding a job in mainland because he doesn't have a liscence yet. He has a Master's in Counseling. We searched some jobs but most of the base pay is $30- $37,000 a year. My question is, can we survive to live in mainland if my husband get that amount of salary? If so, in what place in the mainland could we possibly move to?..We are thinking upstate NY but i think we can't afford to live there either. We want to move to a place near school, parks, beach or lake.Please give me some suggestions.. Thank you in advance!!..

Mona

That's a tall order!! Not too hot, not too cold - especially in that price range. Upstate NY is much colder than you realize, with dark, grey Winters. I agree that you might want to consider some areas in Idaho and perhaps Tennessee or North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 PM

181 posts, read 891,948 times
Most places that have 4 seasons get freezing freezing cold in the winter. If you are not used to snow it will be a definite shock...and areas in the south can get very humid in the summer, even more so than hawaii. I agree with the last post....check out those areas. although idaho can get really cold, my sis. lives there and she is says how cold and snowy and long the winters are. And i dont mean to sound depressing but I think on a 37 salary, your options are going to be pretty limited. But here is a tip, decide on several places you want to check out and then go to that city's forum and see what the res. say. You can also go to craigslist for the city you want to resesarch and see how much homes/apts are going for. Then you can get a better idea of if that salary will cut it. Also, moving from hawaii to the mainland is a big move, it might be worth it for you to try to visit the place you want to move before you go, because if you have never been it might be totally different than you imagined! Good luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM

103 posts, read 261,459 times
Salem, Oregon has many jobs as it is the state capitol. We have a Department of Human Services with 10,000 employees scattered around the state but I would say around 1,500 are working right here in Salem in a very nice building. The bureaucracy would offer lots of options for him.
We also have beautiful rolling hills.
(My husband and I are looking at Hawaii as we are retirees and want a change.)
You could never buy our house in Hawaii for what we are offering it for here in Oregon. That is one consideration. Housing costs are much, much lower. You can live in a better style.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM

19 posts, read 67,906 times
Default Hi, Are you still on Big isle?

Im in the Puna side looking to move also for the same reason. Ive been looking at Texas (North Houston ) very affordable and friendly.I use to live there(South Houston) I heard if you are in any Medical field, you wont have problems finding employment there. Check out Spring,Friendswood, King wood. God Bless!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,328 times
Hi, it's now about a year and half later and I wonder if you found the right place yet?
I am in Philadelphia, PA and can't afford it anymore and was looking for a place like Hilo
but preferably on the mainland! Have not been able to find anything that compares.
I have a son in college so don't have to worry about schools anymore, Hilo just seems far,
my other option was moving back to the Netherlands, but that is far too. And cold/long winters.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:02 PM

117 posts, read 545,265 times
your posting in the wrong place, lol

Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,664 times
Hi,

I wanted to suggest Richmond, Virginia -- just a touch of snow in the winter. An hour from Virginia Beach. 2 hours from the culture of Washington DC.

Homes are moderately priced.

Another state we've had our eye on that looks like moderately priced living: North Carolina.

Too hot for me, but my sister likes Tucson.

Alley

Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,285,522 times
Consider Huntsville,AL. The job market is fairly stable here and your husband may be able to find employment in his field as there are multiple public as well as private facilities in this region. I'm not sure you will be able to find a house in the 80,000 to 100,000 range as those are few and far between almost anywhere these days. The cost of living is much more reasonable here than it would be on the islands. You might find you could live on a lesser income, if you are already in tune with watching your budget.

The Tennessee Valley has several excellent public school systems and home schooling is very popular here with many home-school groups. The seasons are changeable here with no season seeming to be too extreme. Huntsville is in the north Alabama region, so a beach side weekend would necessitate a days drive, but the beaches of south Alabama and north Florida are beautiful and clean and well worth a four day weekend.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:14 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,115 times
You might want to look at Rochester NY! It never gets to cold. We never get more that 122" of snow in 1 year or 35" of rain in the summer. The roads are great you get to dodge car size potholes. I could even show you a real nice house ( this is the truth lol)

Mahalos

Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
You might want to look at Rochester NY! It never gets to cold. We never get more that 122" of snow in 1 year or 35" of rain in the summer. The roads are great you get to dodge car size potholes. I could even show you a real nice house ( this is the truth lol)

Mahalos
Small world -- Rochester is my dad's home town, and I spent much of my childhood there (1962-1972). I haven't been back since, so I imagine it's changed a bit, although the Google Earth and Zillow photos of the neighborhood I lived in show it being pretty much the same, except that the trees are bigger. My family left because of the winters. As a kid, I enjoyed the snow, but I remember my dad having to get up before dawn to shovel the driveway so he could go to work. Upstate NY is a beautiful area, though. I live in Portland, Oregon now, and I've met several upstate New Yorkers here. We all agree that Oregon looks sort of like NY, but without the harsh winters. My wife is from Hilo, and that's where we hope to end up in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: