Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 08:35 PM

15 posts, read 20,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
I just got a price on a new catchment tank 14,500 gallons. That would be a steel tank. Including liner and set up $5100. That did not include the cost of developing the pad but I cannot imagine it would be that much to do the pad. I live in Ocean view and the prices given to me two days ago
What company did you go with? We are looking for the same in ocean view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 03:09 PM

181 posts, read 175,679 times
We didn’t replace our tank yet. We are going to wait

Old 07-08-2019, 10:21 AM

65 posts, read 69,150 times
Maybe I missed it, but try calling these guys:

Pacific Gunite

Old 06-01-2020, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 2,241 times
Looks like maybe Waterworks is the best one for 20,000 gallon steel catchment tank? Anyone know how much jet pumps and UV filters cost? Figure 1HP jet and compatible UV filter and pressure tank. About to put an offer in on a home here in HOVE..its needs a catchment tank...

Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
If you're not pulling water from an underground well a 1HP pump is overkill. Unfortunately the catchment setups use "well" technology, just know that you can use a much smaller pump unless you are looking to fill a gigantic pressure tank. Off grid people use small 12v pumps and seem to do just fine unless they are looking to irrigate fields or something.

Whoever is installing your catchment plumbing is going to install whatever sterilizer you give them. The one that we bought was overkill, I think its rated for 15 gallons per minute (I believe around $700) but our plumbing system never needs to deliver that much water. A 5 gallon per minute model ($350) would have been just as effective, cost less, and the bulb uses less power. Bulbs have to be replaced annually. Ours cost about $100. A smaller sterilizer uses a bulb that costs less.

The UV unit needs to be installed after the filters. Any good installer knows this but if you are going to DIY it it's very important, the UV unit needs to be after a minimum 5 micron filter, and the 5 micron filter needs to be downstream from a sediment (usually 20 micron) filter.

Some people choose to skip UV and choose another option. Reverse Osmosis in the kitchen sink is popular, but I like knowing that the water I shower and brush my teeth with is sterilized, especially since we have the rat lungworm parasite in Puna.

If you want to talk current prices, I recommend talking to these guys:
ISLAND CATCHMENT - Creating Safe Water Systems Since 1970.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island