Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:31 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Seems odd to think that lava could just lurk around underground for sixty some odd years and then reappear as liquid, well, sorta liquid lava. I wonder if this is a new thing they just learned about eruptions?

It almost seems to be heading for the old Kapoho Crater. Will whatever had it stop then and become a crater instead of continuing to flow still be in effect?
Yes, it is amazing that it could be underground so long, but it is very deep. I believe, Kapoho Crater will be the terminus and it will be the main (e)vent. It might end up being a much bigger crater when it is finished. But then, M. Pele may decide she's had enough for a while and let things sit for a bit longer. It is a crapshoot in many ways, where, when, how big, how long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Maybe M. Pele and Co. don't like people living "large"!!
It is Kapu to slag Madame Pele..Her influence transcends the Islands.

Ever hear the stories of Mainlanders taking lava rock home as souvenirs?

Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Its like shore homes that get destroyed by hurricanes, riverfront homes that get swept away by floods, houses built in forests that get burned by wildfires, or houses in earthquake prone areas. If they get destroyed, they get destroyed, the risk was always there. Its too bad, but that's what insurance is for. And maybe some places are not safe places to live.
I read that there's a lake of lava slowly making its way to the surface under Vermont and New York and in maybe 50,000 years or so they may have a volcano.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:50 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
How does lava covered property work? You still own the land, but it's 10 feet higher than it was before? Can you rebuild on a closed fissure?

Old 05-15-2018, 01:08 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
How does lava covered property work? You still own the land, but it's 10 feet higher than it was before? Can you rebuild on a closed fissure?
Yup, pretty much. Looks like this new flow is mostly a'a type lava, so it's gonna be crunchy and not a good foundation, not that you'd want to build much right on top of a fissure anyway. The oozing pahoehoe type flows make for a better foundation.

With a'a lava, folks sometimes like to get a D9 with a big spike on the back and break up the lava into cinders before building on the lot. A friend of mine built on a'a lava and he went post and pier (back when a post and pier was two concrete blocks and a 4" x 4" post) so he didn't have to do much groundwork. He had paths through his yard of a'a and pretty much left it crunchy. That was in HOVE so he didn't have a lot of rainfall so not much grew on his lava. He'd pick out the grasses and things he didn't like and leave the ones he did as his version of yard work.

There's a lot of holes and lava tubes under a lava flow. Folks have lost cows and backhoes to falling into lava holes. Usually they can fish out what ever falls in, but not in as good a condition as before it fell.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
It is Kapu to slag Madame Pele..Her influence transcends the Islands.

Ever hear the stories of Mainlanders taking lava rock home as souvenirs?
Actually, no. What happened to them?

Old 05-15-2018, 04:20 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Actually, no. What happened to them?
The get Greg Brady-ed....

Lava Rock Return to Hawaii

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...k-staff-insane

Old 05-15-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
OK.

BTW, it looks like things are getting real close to the main event. Aviation situation Red with ash 10,000ft airborne, Things are very likely to get worse-to-much-worse before they start getting better.

May be time be bug - out so you can bug out again, later.

PS All my lava rocks have been removed Rightfully, NOT Wrongfully, so I am safe....I think!!!!!

Old 05-15-2018, 07:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
The get Greg Brady-ed....
I'm old enough to remember the Brady Bunch episodes in Hawaii - albeit, via reruns. If memory serves me correctly, I thought they took some sort of small statue....not lava. Lava is not unique only to Hawaii.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:00 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm old enough to remember the Brady Bunch episodes in Hawaii - albeit, via reruns. If memory serves me correctly, I thought they took some sort of small statue....not lava. Lava is not unique only to Hawaii.
It was some sort of idol/necklace iirc. But the reference was to illuminate that removing lava invites bad juju upon oneself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island