Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM

181 posts, read 176,005 times

Advertisements

So looking for recommendations for some service providers for the Ocean View area. I have looked online but if anyone has good or bad experiences or a recommendation can you pass them on?
Looking for:
-High Speed internet provider
-Company to install/replace catchment tank
-Company to install new rain gutters for the aforementioned Catchment.
-Reputable Electricians
-Propane Tank install

mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 04:15 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Skip everything online and ask your neighbors. HOVE is remote and not all companies will service that area. Depending on your specific property location you may or may not have many options for various services.

For the propane tank, if you're looking to get a big land sub type, then it'd be the gas company. Aren't they the only trick in town for that? If it's the smaller tanks, then you get to refill those yourself.

You could ask SolarWorks for an electrician, aren't they in that little business area at the lower end of HOVE?

Old 09-18-2018, 05:20 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
Internet-We have Hawai'i Telecom fiber, it's been fast and dependable. Not sure of how much of the subdivision they service though.

Catchment-There are several folks/companies that can install, clean and service tanks. I used Jeffery Santana to move a tank for me and he did a good job (pm me if you want contact info). Blue Water Catchmemt is also a local licensed company though I have no experiences with them.

For gutters, electrical etc... there are a number of local construction/handyman types that can handle most tasks. Ask around or stop in down at Ace Hardware as they have a section for business cards.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:43 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Before you get a propane tank install, ask the gas delivery company what their fees are. I'm aware of one person who complained that they have to pay a monthly fee to get gas delivered, but the gas company doesn't actually do anything to earn the fee other than it gives them the privilege of getting gas delivered. (The gas company doesn't come check the tank or anything for the subscription fee, if their fees are $10/month, and you need your tank filled once per year, you will have a $120 subscribers fee, paid monthly, in addition to the fee to get the gas delivered).

Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Before you get a propane tank install, ask the gas delivery company what their fees are. I'm aware of one person who complained that they have to pay a monthly fee to get gas delivered, but the gas company doesn't actually do anything to earn the fee other than it gives them the privilege of getting gas delivered. (The gas company doesn't come check the tank or anything for the subscription fee, if their fees are $10/month, and you need your tank filled once per year, you will have a $120 subscribers fee, paid monthly, in addition to the fee to get the gas delivered).
We have a large stationary tank via The Gas Company and had that experience, monthly service visit, small top-off and fee. We calculated our usage (only use gas for cooking and on-demand water heater) and determined we only needed them to fill every 6 months. We called and that is the schedule they are now on. Problem solved.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 PM

181 posts, read 176,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
We have a large stationary tank via The Gas Company and had that experience, monthly service visit, small top-off and fee. We calculated our usage (only use gas for cooking and on-demand water heater) and determined we only needed them to fill every 6 months. We called and that is the schedule they are now on. Problem solved.
Sounds good. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-18-2018, 11:16 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Yes, there's a monthly fee for them to do nothing, but there is no reasonable alternative. I'm not going to haul the 25 gallon tank to the local dealer for them to fill it for me!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Yes, there's a monthly fee for them to do nothing, but there is no reasonable alternative. I'm not going to haul the 25 gallon tank to the local dealer for them to fill it for me!
If the gas company charges $10 a month to have a tank sitting there, you could probably hire a neighbor to fill your tank for $10 (of course, you'd pay for the gas) when they went to fill theirs. For the months that you didn't need it filled, you'd save the $10 fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island