Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 09:07 PM

13 posts, read 14,916 times

Advertisements

Thanks 67, I seen that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 01:20 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Cost difference of maintaining a catchment system versus County water is catchment has a pump (probably around a couple hundred dollars if you have to replace it, that's just parts, if you have someone do it, triple or fourple that estimate.) There's usually a filter as well, although houses on County water will sometimes have filters to take out chlorine. There's also a pressure tank so the pump doesn't have to cycle all the time. Pressure switch, too. Plus the pool which is the same as an above ground swimming pool like you'd see on the mainland. Usually a corrugated metal walls with a plastic liner. Usually a cover, too, to keep out leaves and such.

Figure about once every ten years, you'll probably need to do some sort of repair to the system. They periodically get cleaned, not sure how often that happens.

County water runs about twenty to thirty dollars a month, more or less for an average house. They bill once every two months.

Here's everything you need to know about catchment systems. The U of H wrote a paper on it, it should be pretty definitive. https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/free...tedJan2018.pdf

Old 09-16-2019, 12:16 PM

60 posts, read 63,560 times
With regard to the spigots on the highway, when I used to live in Waa Waa ( ;-) ). I remember once around 1982 there was a serious drought. We went without rain for so long the leaves were falling off the waiwi trees in the jungle. We put a waterbed in the back of our pickup. The county had a row of spigots on a fire hydrant just outside of Pahoa. We would put 350 gallons into the water bed (which took awhile much to the chagrin of the others lined up with their gallon jugs), drive back to the jungle and empty it into our Doughboy pool with a 12 volt water pump. Ahhh, those were the days!!

BTW, a truck load of water is only $200 to $300 for 5,000 gallons. Anybody....does that sound about right? Should last about 3 months. The drought should be over by that time. The guy who owned the gas station in Keaau had two or three milk trucks that he had cleaned up and painted up real fancy; and he used to deliver water personally. I wonder if he's still kickin'? He built this beautiful mansion you can see on the mauka side of the Pahoa Road.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:25 PM

60 posts, read 63,560 times
Post script. I copied and pasted the catchment link in Chrome and it didn't work. Try this one:

www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/rm-12.pdf

It's old but detailed. The new modern systems take care of everything. There is a system to keep silt out of the tank, a system to purify the water (ultraviolet filter), and if you put a roof over the tank you can keep leaves and bird poof off of your cover. The people at Water Works can set you up. I've installed two. It was a *****. If I had to do it again I'd pay someone.

Catchment water should not be an issue for anybody.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:57 PM

112 posts, read 96,811 times
We recently had two 2k gallon loads of water delivered to us in Ocean View. It was $200 total.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:42 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
I have never had an issue drinking the water from my home catchment system. The company I work for bought a new property and we went from county water to catchment. To allay any of our employees concerns, we send water samples to an oahu lab every month. So far all results show it to be some very clean potable water coming out of our system.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:19 PM

13 posts, read 14,916 times
Mahalo you guys, this is really helpful. ����

Old 09-18-2019, 06:46 AM

197 posts, read 752,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Cost difference of maintaining a catchment system versus County water is catchment has a pump (probably around a couple hundred dollars if you have to replace it, that's just parts, if you have someone do it, triple or fourple that estimate.) There's usually a filter as well, although houses on County water will sometimes have filters to take out chlorine. There's also a pressure tank so the pump doesn't have to cycle all the time. Pressure switch, too. Plus the pool which is the same as an above ground swimming pool like you'd see on the mainland. Usually a corrugated metal walls with a plastic liner. Usually a cover, too, to keep out leaves and such.

Figure about once every ten years, you'll probably need to do some sort of repair to the system. They periodically get cleaned, not sure how often that happens.

County water runs about twenty to thirty dollars a month, more or less for an average house. They bill once every two months.

Here's everything you need to know about catchment systems. The U of H wrote a paper on it, it should be pretty definitive. https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/free...tedJan2018.pdf
The link regarding catchment systems was very informative. My hubby read the whole thing. We decided if we build, we will build only where county water is available. The cost of installation plus maintenance would be like paying our water bill in advance for the next 15 years. If we purchase a home that is already built with a catchment system, it would have to be a great buy.

The info you have provided has been valuable in our decision regarding where to build or buy a home.

Mahalo.

Judy

Old 09-18-2019, 08:51 AM

10,553 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki001 View Post
The link regarding catchment systems was very informative. My hubby read the whole thing. We decided if we build, we will build only where county water is available. The cost of installation plus maintenance would be like paying our water bill in advance for the next 15 years. If we purchase a home that is already built with a catchment system, it would have to be a great buy.

The info you have provided has been valuable in our decision regarding where to build or buy a home.

Mahalo.

Judy
That will drastically limit your options in Puna.
Comparing the cost of my catchment in Puna to paying for City water in Alaska over the past 25 years it’s been WAY more in Alaska. Probably by a factor of ten at the least.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki001 View Post

Mahalo.

Judy
Wise thinking. I would try to apply that logic to the other side of the water in, water out situation and be on a bonafide sewer system. I have little faith in the long run on septic systems etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island