Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 11:29 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Hawaii does the same thing (exports homeless). I bet we've sent more than 1 to NYC... so the net out-migration continues!
Yeah, we do "return to senders". The program is to figure out where the homeless are from, and if they have a support network there. If so, we send em back with a 1 way ticket. Hate to be the guy sitting next to the homeless dude on the plane though. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 02:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Yeah, we do "return to senders". The program is to figure out where the homeless are from, and if they have a support network there. If so, we send em back with a 1 way ticket.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - source?

Old 10-30-2019, 11:25 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - source?
https://www.kitv.com/story/39984230/...y-plane-ticket

Old 10-30-2019, 12:25 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Nice catch.

It seems reasonable to have family member be accountable for helping a mentality ill member of their own family.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:44 PM

42 posts, read 36,144 times
Quote:
From the article:
Quote:
"The majority are not coming here and choosing to be homeless. No one is shipping them over to become homeless either, they just get stuck," said Carvalho.
That surprises me. I suspected that cities were discretely exporting their homeless to Hawaii -- not one or two from NYC, but small groups from nearer cities like SF, Seattle, LA.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:16 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
The NYC program doesn't just provide the one-way ticket out they pay like a $15k bribe for rent once you're no longer burdening their system. I sense an opportunity!

I'll buy a one-way ticket to NYC, vacation there for awhile, and then tell them I'm homeless and they can pay for my return trip and 18 months of my mortgage when I get back.

Repeat every year and a half.... get my mortgage paid by NYC taxpayers and a nice vacay to boot!

Old 10-30-2019, 10:39 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
The NYC program doesn't just provide the one-way ticket out they pay like a $15k bribe for rent once you're no longer burdening their system. I sense an opportunity!

I'll buy a one-way ticket to NYC, vacation there for awhile, and then tell them I'm homeless and they can pay for my return trip and 18 months of my mortgage when I get back.

Repeat every year and a half.... get my mortgage paid by NYC taxpayers and a nice vacay to boot!
Sounds perfect! After all, what could go wrong.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:37 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times
Quote:
Thanks. I believe it's also privately funded. No state taxpayer dollars. IMO that's the smarter move. It's one thing for Joe Q Public to pay for tickets, another if the state itself is doing it. It would be open to wider scrutiny and invite retaliation by other states.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:03 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLieland View Post
Greetings all,
We may be new to the forum but not to the Big Island. Was wondering after a few years here and not receiving anything close to the true Aloha that we sold all for, has anyone else received less than favorable responses to this place? Has anyone else experienced a level of hypocrisy and hatred that in even times of war the enemy has been friendlier than these so called island folk?
Curiosity has this cat tangled in the very ball of yarn it was given shortly after stepping off the plane. Thanks in advance for your truthful comments and experiences.
What were you hoping for? Is this a situation where you fell in love with it while on vacation? I used to live in Montana and saw this time and time again. Someone fell in love with it while on vacation, moved, and it was a spectacular failure. They realized that people don't hike, camp, fish, hunt, or float the river all the live long day every day. People still have jobs and the same stress no matter where they go. It's just to what extent the rat race is going on. The locals get tired of people moving in with this belief (although there is no shortage of *******s).

Old 11-02-2019, 04:33 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
We been to the BI and Kauai a couple times while vacationing the big difference we noticed from the mainland is it is more laid back. Things move at a slower pace. I didn’t really notice people being any more friendly or less friendly than other places we have been or lived. There were really nice people we have come across in Hawaii and some grumpy people. That’s pretty much anywhere you go. It is what it is, but the check out lady in Walmart toward the end of her shift good chance isn’t going to be full of aloha. There are a million different reasons people can have an attitude. Most times you caught them just having a bad day. Take it with a grain of salt.

People move to different places all over for a million different reasons. Most times it’s probably for work, but also many times it’s for a better quality of living. Some people move out of an area for a better cost of living and to avoid high taxes. Some people move to get away from a climate that might not go well with their health. But I don’t see anything wrong with moving to a place because you really enjoy the place. I think if you move to a place because you think it will be like when you’re on vacation, that could be a bad recipe, unless you are retired and are collecting pensions or are wealthy, you can’t live anywhere and not work. If you move to a place because you like it there and do not have a plan or a job set up, I imagine it’s going to be a struggle and stressful. Would you want to move to Hawaii and not have a job or work some menial job that doesn’t pay well trying to make ends meet where food and electric and housing is very expensive? Yeah, you live in paradise, but your life isn’t paradise. I don’t see that person being filled with aloha.

I think if you move anywhere even Hawaii I don’t think you should move with having unrealistic expectations. Not everyone is going to be singing Kum Ba Yah. People have to work and make a living. There is poverty, there is crime, there are drugs, there is going to be sickness, and everything else that is anywhere you live. I also think it is not a bad idea to expect or prepare for the unexpected. The main reason we want to move to Hawaii is the climate and the beauty. We love the ocean and the beaches are just amazing. No place in the US has beaches like Hawaii does. We also want to completely get out of the winters and live in a tropical climate.

I definitely have my concerns with moving there more so than moving elsewhere on the mainland. After all
Hawaii is an island in the middle of the Pacific and the only way to get there is by a long flight. Will we get island fever, will we miss the conveniences that are on the mainland, will we miss the the four seasons, will we miss family? Will mildew and mold drive us nuts? Will we miss eating the fruits and vegetables that are grown in a four season climate? Will sticker shock of pasta and other items get to us? We love spaghetti and at $3 a box you bet we are going to fill our suitcases up with pasta whenever we go back to the mainland. How will my wife adjust to teaching out there compared to the mainland is also a concern. Hawaii is a state where 25% of the homes speak a language other than English compared to where she teaches less than 5% of the homes speak a language other than English. Only 54% of Hawaii is able to speak English very well and 18% of Hawaii doesn’t speak English at all. That can be quite a challenge for a teacher no matter what subject you teach. I guess it depends on how much we are affected by such a change and can’t know until we are there. These will be challenges that should be expected and I think accepting that there will be challenges will better prepare us to overcome them. Maybe we can’t overcome those challenges, but you only live once and you won’t have any regrets. I think we will be financially secure where we will be able to travel back to the mainland when we want. I think that could be important in adjusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island