Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 09:13 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Time View Post
We purchased an acre lot in the new subdivision in Keaau called Ola Hou Estates. It’s walking distance to Keaau High School and located between the Shipman house and the agriculture nursery. It also has county water.

Hopefully we’ll be able to sell our home quickly here in Clermont, FL. Many people are moving here from New York. Needless to say, we’ll be going from no mortgage payments to having a mortgage. Prices in Florida are half the prices in Hilo.
County water is a really good thing! I'd rather have County water than power if I had to choose between the two, but your new place will have power, too, won't it? Is there pavement?

That also keeps you out of the traffic on the Keaau-Pahoa highway which is just one small road to serve that whole area.

Good growing conditions in Keaau, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 09:15 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnat View Post
Fortunately, I'll have the opposite situation coming from CA regarding mortgage. Good luck with the sell! I'm getting mine ready. BTW - there are some really funny people posting here, and there is also some good information as well, so I just joined in.

Aloha Nitnat,

Welcome! Hop right in, the water's fine!

FWIW, I've been meeting a lot of folks migrating out of California these days. Why is everyone leaving California these days?

Although, maybe to get back on topic, maybe their insurance rates are too high?

Old 02-11-2020, 10:46 AM

189 posts, read 189,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
County water is a really good thing! I'd rather have County water than power if I had to choose between the two, but your new place will have power, too, won't it? Is there pavement?

That also keeps you out of the traffic on the Keaau-Pahoa highway which is just one small road to serve that whole area.

Good growing conditions in Keaau, too.
Yes, besides county water, we also have electricity and internet service (Hawaiian Tel), paved streets, and even a street light in front of our lot. When more homes are completed, we will also have Spectrum cable service in our subdivision. Until then, we can have live streaming such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. We will also have mail delivery, so we won’t need to get a post office box. We’ll just need to install a septic system. We’re just a little over a mile from restaurants, grocery stores, the post office, etc, and even Urgent Care. We’re very happy with our purchase.

In the meantime, while selling our home, we’ll start getting rid of things not worth shipping, and our builder and draftsman are taking care of things in Hawaii. All we need now is to find a buyer for our home here in Florida.

Take care.

Judy

Old 02-11-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnat View Post
Fortunately, I'll have the opposite situation coming from CA regarding mortgage. Good luck with the sell! I'm getting mine ready. BTW - there are some really funny people posting here, and there is also some good information as well, so I just joined in.
Good for you. California is extremely expensive for homes and a highly taxed state. Hopefully you’ll love living in Hilo. Fortunately I like the rain and we have family and friends who live in Hilo.

Keep us all updated on how things are going for you.

Best of luck to you.

Judy

Old 02-11-2020, 12:05 PM

52 posts, read 36,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Aloha Nitnat,

Welcome! Hop right in, the water's fine!

FWIW, I've been meeting a lot of folks migrating out of California these days. Why is everyone leaving California these days?

Although, maybe to get back on topic, maybe their insurance rates are too high?
Mahalo, hotzcatz.

Well, for starters, there are way TOO MANY people, and the traffic makes me dislike driving anywhere anymore. And as Luau Time mentioned below, it's super expensive....housing and taxed to death. You wouldn't believe what my property taxes are compared to there, and our gas prices have pretty much caught up with HI. As for keeping to the topic, from what I've read, our insurances rates are higher across the board too. But what really drove my decision were A LOT less people and the ability to have an income property to supplement my income as I get older.

Funny, the first time I was on the BI, the first thing I texted my mom was, of all things, "I love driving here!"

Old 02-11-2020, 12:40 PM

52 posts, read 36,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Time View Post
Good for you. California is extremely expensive for homes and a highly taxed state. Hopefully you’ll love living in Hilo. Fortunately I like the rain and we have family and friends who live in Hilo.

Keep us all updated on how things are going for you.

Best of luck to you.

Judy
Mahalo, Judy! I miss rain myself. It hardly ever rains here. When I visited a few times, it rained pretty hard at night, and I just loved that sound. I kind of even miss the coquis song.

Best of luck to you, too. Now sell that home and get your tushees over there! Don't forget to wave to me as you pass through or over CA.

Natalee

Old 02-17-2020, 01:37 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
USAA for automotive and Dongbu for the home.

Most lenders require hurricane insurance even if you're nowhere near the water. Sometimes its cheaper to get home insurance through one company and hurricane through another. The USAA rates for homeowner with hurricane were the highest quote I got and they explained its because it's AAA rated whatever that means.

Dongbu extends our liability coverage to two vacant lots at no extra cost. I think USAA only covered one (when we had them).

Best advice is to ask a broker who can quote all the companies. We use Joe Marsh.

Joe Marsh
Agent
Business Insurance Services, Inc.
1080 Kilauea Ave
Hilo, Hi, 96720
Direct 808-935-1865
Office 808-935-1888
Fax 808-443-2468
www.bisihi.com

Oddly, our USAA automotive was not competitive when we had 3 cars but it is with two.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I use USAA to insure my condo on Oahu and used USAA to insure my vehicle on island. I know others who use Geico who haven't really been pleased with their service. All of this is anecdotal, of course.
Just wanted to let you know we are now insured with USAA.

Mahalo.

Judy

Old 05-16-2020, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,934 times
Really? When I tried to get homeowners insurance from them they told me they didn’t insure homes in Keaau.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:12 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
We live between Keaau and Pahoa and they gave us a quote for our homeowners. It was REALLY high. We use them for auto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island