Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 02:57 PM

79 posts, read 322,837 times

Advertisements

Aloha E1,

We travel to the BI once every 5 years for my wife's medical credits, but this year (Jan 2021) will be different. It's been cancelled. We now have to make our own plans if we wish to go. As we are no longer fixed to the 3rd week in Jan, we can plan any time of the year. No kids, no destination required other than a beach view. We normally go to Waikoloa, but would consider Kona or Capn Cook or?
Question then is this - What time of the year is best for deals to get a condo for one week? Thinking of Late April or May (?)

All of this takes into consideration that the Covid debacle is over....

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 03:33 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
From my experience here, most places don't have seasonal pricing, except for the Christmas holiday. Because tourists come all year round. Usually less traffic in the shoulder months, such as April/May or October/November.

I suggest you start looking around at prices on VRBO or AirBnB to get an idea of prices. It will be interesting to see how things bounce back after all this virus stuff. I anticipate a lot of pent up demand from everyone who cancelled this year's vacation.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jib88fer View Post

What time of the year is best for deals to get a condo for one week? Thinking of Late April or May (?)
Considering it will likely be years for tourism comes back in robust numbers - you can probably pick just about any week in 2021 for a deal. I foresee outright desperation for any homeowner with rental properties in 2021.

In more normal times - the time after Labor Day thru late October is traditionally the slowest time of the year

Old 04-28-2020, 09:16 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,320 times
We've spent several months there at different times of the year. We've always stayed in the Naalehu area. We just love the country and it was a suitable location for us to visit other parts of the island.

We were there in June one year and really enjoyed the King Kamehameha Day Parade in Kailua-Kona. That is an event we'll never forget. Such beauty!

Old 04-29-2020, 08:31 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Considering it will likely be years for tourism comes back in robust numbers - you can probably pick just about any week in 2021 for a deal. I foresee outright desperation for any homeowner with rental properties in 2021.

In more normal times - the time after Labor Day thru late October is traditionally the slowest time of the year
Agree 100%. There will be great deals for anybody willing to travel.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Agree 100%. There will be great deals for anybody willing to travel.
There already are. Current prices are at $400 per person from Miami to Honolulu round trip in October.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:27 PM

15 posts, read 14,761 times
Quote:
Aloha E1,

We travel to the BI once every 5 years for my wife's medical credits, but this year (Jan 2021) will be different. It's been cancelled. We now have to make our own plans if we wish to go. As we are no longer fixed to the 3rd week in Jan, we can plan any time of the year. No kids, no destination required other than a beach view. We normally go to Waikoloa, but would consider Kona or Capn Cook or?
Question then is this - What time of the year is best for deals to get a condo for one week? Thinking of Late April or May (?)

All of this takes into consideration that the Covid debacle is over....

Thanks in Advance
February brings some deals, too, in the weeks between the typical winter rush and Spring break.

Holualua town is a lovely little spot.

Punalu'u is wonderful for solitude. There are some older, inexpensive condos with a pool quite near Punalu'u (Black Sand) beach. I'm not posting the name of them on purpose as I want to give you a chance to book, if interested, before the world can sees what a deal they currently are. (I'm not a property owner or manager, just sharing a lesser known option in case it interests you.)

Old 05-20-2020, 04:43 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,958 times
Quote:
As we are no longer fixed to the 3rd week in Jan, we can plan any time of the year. ... Question then is this - What time of the year is best for deals to get a condo for one week?
I'd avoid the first week in January on Big Island if you are looking for savings. That time period, from Christmas until the week after New Years, tends to be really busy in Kona, Waikoloa, etc. Lots of places are rented out, restaurants are jammed, reservations are a must for any decent rental, restaurant, or activity. By the third week of January, the breeders and the one-and-two weekers usually clear out. This advice notwithstanding, we are there during this busy timeframe because we like Hawaii in January, but our stays in Hawaii (Big Island or Maui) are for six to eight weeks at a time.

With Covid-19, of course, all bets are off this coming winter, but you can expect a return to this norm post-vaccine.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Tail end of September and early October - well before Thanksgiving - are usually a bit slow. It ramps up around the holidays, drops off slightly after Christmas but then folks on the mainland are tired of winter and want to visit so the numbers go back up again. Springtime on the mainland the numbers drop again since folks want to be there for the spring. When school gets out on the mainland, visitor numbers ramp up for summer vacation. Visitor numbers drop down when schools go back into session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island