Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 07:30 AM

65 posts, read 67,988 times

Advertisements

The Big Island has a zero covid count, and only got up to 75 cases total, with only one person needing to be hospitalized and zero deaths. We don't have covid here, or scary riots, or pollution, or any of the horrible things that are going on the mainland right now! Also, i do realize that we can't keep our ports closed forever and we will get Covid again, but then we'll just quarantine again, ride it out again until it gets down to zero. Thank god I got out of California and to Hawai'i before Covid came around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 10:18 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
You do have 30% unemployment or more and as bad as things are - are going to be far worse than the mainland. Once CARES act ends - rent eviction moratoriums end - and banks start foreclosures - empty storefronts- it won’t be pretty.

California for many will seem like paradise compared to what’s coming.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:22 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,325,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnumbers View Post
The Big Island has a zero covid count, and only got up to 75 cases total, with only one person needing to be hospitalized and zero deaths. We don't have covid here, or scary riots, or pollution, or any of the horrible things that are going on the mainland right now! Also, i do realize that we can't keep our ports closed forever and we will get Covid again, but then we'll just quarantine again, ride it out again until it gets down to zero. Thank god I got out of California and to Hawai'i before Covid came around!
A nationwide decimated economy with the virtue signaling mask wearing that stops a virus as much a a chain link fence stops mosquitoes all for a virus with the mortality rate no worse than the seasonal flu. What a crock of crap. Well, least everyone has forgotten about C19 do to the righteous rioting and looting.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 05-31-2020 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 11:36 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,861,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
A nationwide decimated economy with the virtue signaling mask wearing that stops a virus as much a a chain link fence stops mosquitoes all for a virus with the mortality rate no worse than the seasonal flu. What a crock of crap. Well, least everyone has forgotten about C19 do to the righteous rioting and looting.
Do you wish you were there so you could "get in on it"?

Just kidding. I'm really glad to be here and not there.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:49 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,325,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Do you wish you were there so you could "get in on it"?

Just kidding. I'm really glad to be here and not there.
I hear you. Me too, I’m glad We are here. I’m also glad I am retired where I don’t have to deal that. I got out just in time.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:57 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,990,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You do have 30% unemployment or more and as bad as things are - are going to be far worse than the mainland. Once CARES act ends - rent eviction moratoriums end - and banks start foreclosures - empty storefronts- it won’t be pretty.

...well then, if i were you, i'd stay away......i love it here!

Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...well then, if i were you, i'd stay away......i love it here!
I don't exactly have a choice being stuck here with a 14 day quarantine - I'd happily get off these islands.

I'm watching businesses go out of business on a daily basis - not sure why anyone would "love it here" with what is going on.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:28 PM

189 posts, read 191,118 times
Quote:

When all these events take place here, the same situations will occur on the mainland. I’m just happy we got here when we did. We sold in time, and our buyers told us they are so happy in their home. So, it was a win for both of us.

If you own a home here, you would be wise to sell now before things get worse. Since you wish to return to the mainland, relocate now and buy when the real estate market crashes.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,095,275 times
But, if you sell your home, where are you gonna go? FWIW, we've done these levels of downturn before and managed to get through it. This one is a lot wider spread than the last few, though, so there isn't the option to go to another island for more work or head to the mainland for the same.

Folks that don't depend on wages for their income will not be taking as much of a hit in their personal economies, so those folks will do alright. Folks who depend on wages - especially those who's employers are a tourist based business - will be in a world of hurt when the federal monies run out. However, what percentage of them own their own homes? Which then means landlords who have rented to these tourist based wage earners will then feel effects.

We generally are really happy to be in Hawaii, not just now with the virus but pretty much all the time. There's a good community here, great weather, excellent growing conditions and things are really nice around here.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:47 PM

10,642 posts, read 7,848,010 times
Quote:
..I'm watching businesses go out of business on a daily basis - not sure why anyone would "love it here" with what is going on.
From a position of privilege, such as retired or self sufficient, this pain you mention may not be tangible.

At least, not for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island