Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 12,261 times

Advertisements

I have spent time scouring the resources on this site and I want to thank you all for the great information that you share. My wife and I are similar to many of the posters on this forum. We are planning on retirement on the Big Island in the next 5 years. We've decided that Discovery Harbor seems to fit our needs and wants better than other places. We are planning a trip out this summer to look at property that we could soon begin building our retirement home. I've seen many posts about the pros and cons of living in Discovery Harbor and the pros outweigh the cons for us. I'm not concerned about the extra expense that comes with living on the island. I consider the remote location to be a benefit and I have no problem with a couple hour drive to the city when I need something. We are excited to begin our journey to the island.

I've seen quite a bit on things to consider when choosing an area, but I haven't seen much on the specifics for building on the island. What I'm looking for is specific to buying land and choosing a builder. The finished house that I'm looking to build will have some ocean view and be a house between 1700-2000 sqft. Are there specific challenges or things that I should be careful with when looking at specific plots of land? Are there any good things to know about the orientation of the house (when we lived in WA we found out that it your back yard was west facing it was extremely hot in the middle of the summer)? Are there any specific look to a house that will make neighbors angry or just don't work with the location (sea air, pests, etc)? Are there any builders/sub-contractor practices that I should be wary of? Are there any things with the permitting process that I need to know to make things go smoother?

Depending on the timing of when I could get things arranged and built I would likely rent out the house for a time, so any info on the long term rental market would also be greatly appreciated. I am aware that you need a local management company and I have experience being a long distance landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 03:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Given the huge glut of inventory in Discovery Harbor - you'd save time and money by buying an existing home and remodeling to your taste rather than hoping a lot opens up with the view and price point you want

Old 01-04-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Given the huge glut of inventory in Discovery Harbor - you'd save time and money by buying an existing home and remodeling to your taste rather than hoping a lot opens up with the view and price point you want
Interesting take. I have seen the inventory reduce over the past year. We will certainly be going through houses when we are there and would be willing to pull the trigger if the right house is available.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkyd View Post
Interesting take. I have seen the inventory reduce over the past year. We will certainly be going through houses when we are there and would be willing to pull the trigger if the right house is available.
There are nearly 60 listings right now - and while that may be down from a year ago (I don't know) - that is quite a lot of places currently on the market.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
There are nearly 60 listings right now - and while that may be down from a year ago (I don't know) - that is quite a lot of places currently on the market.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place because on Zillow there is around a dozen. Of those, only a small handful has an ocean view. Where are you looking? I appreciate the response.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:34 PM

I was looking at the Hawaii life website - looking deeper, the listings I mentioned also include vacant land

Old 01-04-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I was looking at the Hawaii life website - looking deeper, the listings I mentioned also include vacant land
That makes sense. That is consistent with what I'm seeing. A few houses that include a few that look interesting and a bunch of lots.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:04 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Considerations for buying land in Discovery Harbor? Vog

As WhiteViper said, look at already built houses, it'll be a lot faster and less expensive than building your own.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:18 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
I actually live in DH, so can offer first-hand knowledge.

Given the shortage of good builders and good laborers here, it’s better to buy a house than vacant land. It is possible to build here, but the process can take much longer than on the mainland. Right the housing market is HOT, with multiple offers above asking price and people buying sight unseen. Things will probably not slow down by the time you come out in the summer. Prices in Discovery Harbour currently are rising and much higher than anyplace else in Ka’u (except for Volcano Village).

If you are interested in buying now, come pre-approved and ready to make a quick offer. Even the decent vacant lots are selling fast, but not as fast as the houses.

The only way to choose a property is to be here and drive the neighborhood. Views vary widely depending on the topography. Lots on one side of the street can have far better views than on the other side of the same street. And lots on the golf course are definitely more desirable.

There are many lots here that have been owned for a long long time. I think some people don’t even realize they have property here. Therefore, one thing you could do is, if you find a lot you like, contact the owner and make them an offer.

The only way that I would have a long term renter here is if they were a teacher or a nurse or doctor.

Just saw hotzcatz’s comment about vog. Even though we are downwind of the volcano, the vog usually goes either to the north or south of us. In the recent eruption, Ocean View was hard hit and we barely noticed it.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:50 AM

Thanks Dreaming of Hawaii for your thoughts. Is the reason for the hot market linked somehow with the Pandemic? Is it mostly Californians that can work remotely and are moving out of CA? I've seen a bunch of posts on this board about the 1 year residents that think it will be their paradise but don't love the reality when they get there. Would the speculation be that many of these people buying houses now may be selling in a year?

I'm absolutely fine with buying a house that is already built if it checks the boxes. I've moved a decent amount for my career and actually have never had a house built. My thinking was much more driven by not seeing a house that is what we want and having quite a bit of margin in time before we plan on moving over. If I buy a house that is already built I could probably wait a few years. I was thinking if I want to build it will take some time to get into the process with the shortages in quality contractors.

I've actually seen houses that I love in OV but we don't love the lack of vegetation.

Funny that you mention only renting to teacher, doctor or nurse. We have offered to buy a house now if our daughter who is finishing up her teaching degree for high school math and physics wanted to live there and begin her teaching career in Hawaii. That may change the location a bit though as the remote DH would be great for my wife and I as retirees but could prove a bit more challenging for jobs and commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island