Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 01:32 AM

15 posts, read 77,183 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone!

My husband, my son and I will be moving with our dog Sadie to HPP on July 1st. We've got a great house lined up on 22nd St. and we're very, very stoked.

My son who is 14 looks forwad to learning Japanese (He's been simply enlightened and enthralled with the Japanese culture since about age 4) and we all look forward to the laid back "hang loose" kind of atmosphere.

My husband grew up on the Big Island and is looking forward to getting back to what he has always called home!

I have never lived in Hawaii but have visited and have fallen in love. I am big into the community life and will be volunteering at my son's school, the humane society in Kea'au and the food bank in Hilo.

We all like to play music! My son plays the sax and violin and bass, I play bass and am learning guitar, and my husband has played the drums since he got his first drum set at 2 years old (the pictures are hilarious).

We're self employed and work from home so we get to bring our job with us thank goodness... other than that we're easy going, we like to have a good time and can't wait to have some great Hawaiian Bbqs

Anyway, I'm hoping others that currently live in the area or are planning to move to the area would like to talk.. I'd love to know some people by the time we get there!

I do have one question... We are bringing a dog and a couple of cats with us... do any of you know any dog friendly parks and/or beaches in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 01:25 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,305,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingtoHawaii View Post
We all like to play music! My son plays the sax and violin and bass, I play bass and am learning guitar, and my husband has played the drums since he got his first drum set at 2 years old (the pictures are hilarious).
Music is a great way to meet people! (My SO plays drums as well and is a recording engineer.) Once you are here, maybe we can suggest a few places for you to go when interesting musicians are going to be performing!

As an example, here is a link where you can play a few songs performed by a local jazz singer who plays in town on Sunday evenings:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/laglk

Old 04-19-2008, 09:35 PM

15 posts, read 77,183 times
Thanks for the encouragement and information! I would love to get suggestions of where to see some performances and kind of get into the music scene in that way. I am thinking of purchasing the CD onthe link you posted, seems like it will be some good listening

Aloha!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:17 PM

19 posts, read 67,929 times
Welcome Home!We live close to HPP,across the highway in Ainaloa Subdivision, Poihiki Beach is pretty dog friendly ,we take our big Rott out there once in awhile.He loves the water.We also have a band Moderator cut: No advertising in this Forum. Use the DM feature to contact other members. Thanks Look us up if you ever need anything,Hubbys a drummer(Roland V-drums)What school is your son going to? Maybe we could all team up and play the bandstand at Hilo Bay! Take Care!

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-30-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,798 times
Default Going To Hawaii

Hi....I am also planning on going to the Big Island sometime in late fall.....I have 4 cats that I want to take......I have a couple of questions to ask you......did you have a hard time getting all your animals up to health regs.....also did you move any household goods....?

I'm wanting to bring some stuff and don't know who to call....do you have anyone that you recommend?

Thanks for any advice on help...pkay

Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,524,728 times
Congratulations! This is so exciting and from your post this is the right move for you. Thank you for sharing your excitement and positive story!

Old 07-01-2008, 06:26 PM

37 posts, read 185,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkay0628 View Post
Hi....I am also planning on going to the Big Island sometime in late fall.....I have 4 cats that I want to take......I have a couple of questions to ask you......did you have a hard time getting all your animals up to health regs.....also did you move any household goods....?

I'm wanting to bring some stuff and don't know who to call....do you have anyone that you recommend?

Thanks for any advice on help...pkay
I don't know where you're moving from but if you have less than a 20 ft container load I would check out Royal Hawaiian Movers. We are moving some boxes through them. They charge $4.60 a cubic foot. Weight doesn't matter - just the space it occupies. To figure cubic feet (ir you're math challenged like I am) you take the length times width times height, and divide it by 1728. (L x W x H / 1728) to find out how much each piece will cost. They do want to know the total gross pounds for your shipment, so we have been weighing each piece as it's packed. On their form they need to know your total number of pieces, the total cubic feet, and the total gross pounds.They have shippers in Los angeles, Oakland, Seattle, and Chicago. The only down side is it can take from 3 - 9 weeks to get to the outer islands. I can let you know more when we take our belongings over to Seattle next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island